Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Hallicrafters SX-111 MK1 Help

Reviews Summary for Hallicrafters SX-111 MK1
Hallicrafters SX-111 MK1 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $249.00 new in 1961
Description: Ham band only receiver covering the 10m, 15m, 20m, 40, and 80m bands plus 10 MHz WWV.
IF frequencies of 50.75 kHz and 1.65 MHz.
Variable selectivity from 500 Hz to 5 kHz, notch filter, ANL, BFO with product detector, 100 kHz calibrator and S-meter.
Tubes used: 5Y3 rectifier, OA2 voltage regulator, 6AQ5 audio output, 12AX7 audio amp. & BFO, 6BJ7 AGC, detector & ANL, 6BY6 product detector, 6BA6 2nd. mixer, 12AT7 2nd. conversion oscillator, two 6DC6 as 2nd. & 1st. IF, 6BY6 mixer, 6C4 1st. conversion oscillator, 6DC6 RF amplifier and 6AU6 crystal calibrator.

You can write your own review of the Hallicrafters SX-111 MK1.

KK6IYM Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2016 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Typical Hallicrafters design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just finished restoring my SX 111 as the matching receiver for the HT 37 transmitter. It has excellent sensitivity and good selectivity. The product detector works well and the slide-rule dial makes tuning a breeze. What I don't like about most Hallicrafters radios and it goes for this as well is that they have inadequate shielding around the tuning capacitor and antenna, RF, and oscillator coils and trimmers. Hammarlund radios are much quieter and I think that is the reason. These radios can be found for reasonable prices and are easy to work on and restore. I ordinarily would not buy this model, but it is the companion piece for the venerable HT 37.

Norm

K9SUL Rating: 4/5 Mar 14, 2016 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Lighter version of SX-101  Time owned: more than 12 months
The SX-101 was advertised as "built like a battleship". It weighed 70 lbs. The SX-111 is the light-weight version of the SX-101, weighing ONLY 36 lbs. For some time, the two appeared on the catalog at the same time, with SX-101 being promoted as the higher end model(i.e. expensive!). The two are electrically almost identical. Both are dual conversion with the same mixing/conversion scheme.

A fellow ham told me that its eham review score is low and someone said it's a poor ham band receiver. I see a review by Anonymous from 2002 that states that it is a shortwave kind of receiver and was ok for general shortwave listening. He scored it 2/5. He was likely confused the SX-111 with the SX-110, which fits his description. The two can look similar at a glance, so it is easy to confuse the two. The SX-111 is not a shortwave type, but a ham-band only receiver that was created mainly for sideband work. It does not receive shortwave broadcasts.

The SX-110 is a repackaged SX-99, which is a repackaged S-40B with a xtal filter. The S-40 has its root in the S-20R. They are all single conversion with 1 RF and 2 IF sections. The SX-111 is far superior than these.

I enjoy using SX-111 along with other ham band receivers by Hallicrafters like SX-101 and SX-115. In my opinion, its sensitive and stable enough for today's sideband communications. Its selectivity might be inadequate at times when the band is very crowded. In my opinion, Drake's 50kc LC filtering is superior to Hallicrafter's. That is the reason I am rating it 4/5.

N8AUC Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2009 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Pleasant Memories  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first station receiver as a Novice over 30 yrs ago. (Photo was in June 1978 CQ magazine.) I paid $80 for it at a the Mansfield (OH) Hamfest in 1977, and used it for about 18 months. It worked quite well. As I recall it never drifted after warm up. Selectivity was quite good, and I worked a ton of stations using it on the old 40 meter novice band. No one would steal it, because I think it weighed about 80 lbs. A real glow in the dark rock-crusher. I have very pleasant memories of that receiver.

KA8DLL Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2006 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Very nice radio .Poor mans sx101  Time owned: more than 12 months
Vey nice radio. About the same performance as an sx101 with alot less weight. Stable as a rock after a thirty minute warm up. Very attractive front. Hallicrafters cut a hundred dollars off the price of sx101 and still came up with pretty much the same radio. Good job Hallicrafters.

WB9GKZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2003 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Nice Old Set  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an SX-111 in late 2001 at a Hamfest for the sum of $80. I thought I paid way too much for it...after all, it's a drifty old Hallicrafters that the SSB community rejected decades ago...right? Brought it home, wiped the chassis clean, gave it an IF and RF alignment. Gotta say that it works very well and it really surprised me how stable it is. I find no explaination for the stability on SSB, it rivals any rice-rig after a one-hour warm-up. Guess I was lucky? Sensitivity is great. The antenna trimmer really peaks up the radio nicely. Mine is the older version with no product detector, but it copies SSB just fine with the RF gain turned down a bit. AM signals sound great and the selectable-sideband mode switch can be rocked between LSB/USB to quiet an offending adjacent channel signal. The IF selectivity in 5KHz is acceptable for AM. SSB sounds great with the IF in the 5KHz position.

Bottom line: If you are lucky enough to find one complete and drift-resistant as mine...hang on to it! It's a great, affordable boatanchor!

WA0VED Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2002 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Good Receiver For CW  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was ans still is a good receiver. It is a Ham bands only with international shortwave intruders on 40 meters.
This was my prime receiver in 1965 up to 1070. CW was excellent, SSB was vewry good, Stability, well it had the Hallicrafters bug. You know the little that could walk across your operating desk and you could hear it's little footsteps shift the VFO.

I now have 2 my original and one I picked up at a hamfest in Festus, Mo. with original box and paperwork. Have it tied to an HT-37 and love the combo. On the air with it weekly and yes, IT GLOWS IN THE DARK, like a real radio.
&#- Jim
WA0VED

Anonymous Rating: 2/5 Nov 3, 2002 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Why buy?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used an SX-111 for 5 or 6 years in my younger days and I remember it being a shortwave kind of receiver. It was ok for general shortwave listening but was a poor ham band receiver. It had prehistoric filtering, stability was poor, and trying to listen to SSB took some work. Other than these shortcomings, it was a nice and fun to play with piece of equipment for a novice or AM'er in the 50's or 60's. But, I wouldn't even consider using it today if someone gave it to me.

W4MJR Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2002 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Old classic gear fun  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is one my favorite receiver's. I enjoy the looks and operating of my old classic SX-111. I have this on just about every day in my Ham Shack. It sure plays well with my matching HT-37 also. What I enjoy the most about it is the size. Very easy tuning, easy to read and it sure glows in the dark.