Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Hammarlund HQ-160 Help

Reviews Summary for Hammarlund HQ-160
Hammarlund HQ-160 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $379.00
Description: General coverage HF receiver.

You can write your own review of the Hammarlund HQ-160.

K7WXK Rating: 4/5 Oct 12, 2012 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Another good bang for the buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I now have had a chance to own and operate 6 of the Hammarlund HQ's, from the 120 thru the 160. Have not yet tried the 180. I think the HQ-160 is a good quality rig for the money and provides good performance. It is relatively easy to work on and easy to operate. Some time should be spent with the Q-mult in order to get the most that the receiver has to offer. The large tuning knobs are a treat to use and are reminiscent of the 140 and 150.

If you do get one of these I believe it would be in your best interest to replace all the silver-mica caps in each of the IF cans. Many problems can arise from these deteriorating components. This can be a tedious job but well worth the effort.

It is a great "looker" and a worthy member of one's boat anchor collection. I think it ranks closer to a 4 than a 5, but a good radio nonetheless.

KA4DQJ Rating: 4/5 Dec 23, 2011 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Good! But not as good as my HQ-129x  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't explain why the HQ-160 isn't as good of a performer as the much earlier HQ-129x I also own. The 160 does have some things going for it... the receiver has a calibrator crystal, and both the main tuning and the bandspread dial lines are adjustable for accuracy. Also, the HQ-160 has more audio than the 129.

After than, the 160 just doesn't have the selectivity or the sensitivity of the HQ-129. It's still a fine receiver if you are into boatanchoring.

Oh, this one was also given to me. I've owned Hammarlunds and Hallicrafters over the years, but my current set were freebies.

KE4EZ Rating: 4/5 May 23, 2011 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Good solid SW RCVR  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good Rig Use it on SW Freqs I like the Q multi and slot filter good audio Great radio for SWL not selective enough really for serious ham band use but still a keeper use it with Pacemaker and HQ-170.

JAMES_BENEDICT_EX_N8FVJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2002 18:57 Send this review to a friend
General Coverage HF  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a good receiver- sensitive, non-drifty, good audio & dual-conversion. Filtering is so-so at best. Definitely not a 75A4, 75S3 or 51J4 Collins, but a keeper. The dial is ok for finding frequencies, but does not 'top' a Hallicrafters SX-101A or the Collins listed above. I would purchase this radio if less expensive than the HQ-180.