Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | Low Band DXing by ON4UN Help

Reviews Summary for Low Band DXing by ON4UN
Low Band DXing by ON4UN Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $28
Description: Antennas, Equipment and Techniques for 160, 80, and 40 meters. This 600 page third edition covers all the practical information you need to operate a highly successful station on the low bands.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/catalog/7040/

You can write your own review of the Low Band DXing by ON4UN.

AD9DX Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2013 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Great book   Time owned: more than 12 months
This book isn't for the appliance operator. It has wonderful in depth details about the low bands and the data to back it up.

My only words of caution, is this book can cost you a lot of money.

KA2Z Rating: 2/5 Apr 9, 2013 21:54 Send this review to a friend
Waste of Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
This book is not for the average ham.
You need a highly technical background in electronic theory.
You need a huge piece of real estate.
If you want to know about low band propagation get George Jacobs classic "The Shortwave Propagation Handbook".
If you want to work the low bands just put up a full length dipole. You can bend up the legs, no problem.You'll do fine. You don't even have to have it up high because of the almost vertical radiating angle. 468 divided by operating frequency is the only math you need to know.
The reason they sell it wrapped in plastic at the Ham fests is because if you look through it as soon as you see all those complex formula's your going to run! HA! You have been warned!

ZENKI Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2010 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great accurate technical resource. A true reference indeed. I have bought every edition of this book. I even have the original 1st edition!

The ARRL handbooks should adopt the approach taken by the ON4UN book. Use individual authors with expertise in each chapter of the handbook..... The result will be like the ON4UN book, perfect and accurate.

I look forward to buying the new edition. It sure beats the rubbish articles you read so much of an the net. I dont want to be a google expert, I want to be a ON4UN expert!

K5YY Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2010 07:21 Send this review to a friend
great person and writer  Time owned: more than 12 months
When John came by my QTH in June of 2005 he presented me with a signed issue #4 of his Low Band DXing, 585 page book. Turns out he remembered that I had given him #300 on 80m when I was in the Comoroes (D68) in 1978. The book and his personal message to me was so appreciated and is one of my favorite ham possessions. The book is a "must" have for anyone operating 160 and 80m. Fun reading, full of important information on how to maximize your fun on the low bands. His passion shows in his writings, and his personal operating experiences on the low bands are unsurpassed by any other ham radio DXer.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2010 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Great for Small Lots Too  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live on a small lot - .3 acre, and this book is fantastic for such a restricted location for low-band DX-ing.

I have a Cushcraft MA-160V - and this shortened antenna is covered in the chapter that discusses of how such a small short hatted vertical works.

As far as receiving antennas go - I have tried the K9AY, K6SE and now EWE antenna's - that all fit on my small lot. The information on winding the receiving antenna transformer - plus the new revised chapter on Propagation are worth the price of admission alone.

I was lucky - Santa (FedEX man) delivered the book tonight - Christmas evening!

This - plus the ARRL Antenna Book - are the best antenna books on the planet!

K8ALM Rating: 3/5 Dec 21, 2010 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent book however...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great theory but as previously stated by someone else this book is written for hams who have huge amounts of space to be able to erect some of the proposed monster antennas. If you don't have acres of land then this book is probably not for you.

N9WW Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2010 21:33 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months

I have both the 3rd and 4th edition of John's books. They both are great reading, very informative and are a culmination of John's experience and knowledge of antenna systems for the low bands. John is currently working on the 5th edition which will be available this September and I can't wait.

For those of you who refuse to use your brains, I guess there's not much hope.
Jim N9WW

AD6TM Rating: 1/5 Apr 10, 2010 18:47 Send this review to a friend
caveat emptor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would highly recommend to anyone interested in this book to FIRST leaf thru it and see if you can get anything good out of it, I bought it at a hamfest still sealed in plastic and was VERY disappointed. It seems to be aimed at hams who have acres of room, hundreds if not thousands of dollars, and understanding of very technical writing. I have a very small lot, a barefoot rig, and only one tiny chapter in the back of the book dealt with this situation, and seemed to be included as an afterthought. After repeated readings I gave it away in frustration. I found better ideas for 160M antennas in a 20-year old ARRL antenna book. It's quite effective as a brag book for those very lucky people to show off their acres of wire and towers, but as a book for those of us without that excess, IT IS WORTHLESS!!!

G4TRA Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2008 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Essential  Time owned: more than 12 months
DXer, contester or just a small back yard rag-chewer this book is essential if you want to get the best out of the low bands. In my miniscule plot I have implimented ON4UN ideas and techniques to get a good 160m signal out of a 55' long transmit antenna plus K9AY receiving loop. Out of all the radio books on my shelf this is the one I use the most. It's written in an easy to read manner with copious illustrations and explanations on how to do it.
Great book!

PA7WWO Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If you want to learn more abt low band propagation, dx-ing and a lot more .
This is the book to have.

Every time I read things in the book my knowledge grows and I can solve problems in my antenna situation and mistakes in my operational practice.

The book is not only usefull on low bands but lots of the facts can be alied directly on the higher bands.

An extremely good book that could save very many hams thousends of Euro's or Dollars in not investing in wrong equipement or antennas.

The price is that low that One mistake not made in antenna investment or Radio equipement will pay back the book easely.

greetings Jos