Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | Low Band DXing by ON4UN Help

Reviews Summary for Low Band DXing by ON4UN
Low Band DXing by ON4UN Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $28
Description: Antennas, Equipment and Techniques for 160, 80, and 40 meters. This 600 page third edition covers all the practical information you need to operate a highly successful station on the low bands.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/catalog/7040/

You can write your own review of the Low Band DXing by ON4UN.

G4TRA Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2008 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Essential  Time owned: more than 12 months
DXer, contester or just a small back yard rag-chewer this book is essential if you want to get the best out of the low bands. In my miniscule plot I have implimented ON4UN ideas and techniques to get a good 160m signal out of a 55' long transmit antenna plus K9AY receiving loop. Out of all the radio books on my shelf this is the one I use the most. It's written in an easy to read manner with copious illustrations and explanations on how to do it.
Great book!

PA7WWO Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If you want to learn more abt low band propagation, dx-ing and a lot more .
This is the book to have.

Every time I read things in the book my knowledge grows and I can solve problems in my antenna situation and mistakes in my operational practice.

The book is not only usefull on low bands but lots of the facts can be alied directly on the higher bands.

An extremely good book that could save very many hams thousends of Euro's or Dollars in not investing in wrong equipement or antennas.

The price is that low that One mistake not made in antenna investment or Radio equipement will pay back the book easely.

greetings Jos

pa7wwo

VR2XMQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 06:15 Send this review to a friend
A Must!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I asked AA1ON to pick up a copy for me on his way back out to the Far East. Thanks Martin!

This book is a Bible to anyone contemplating low band operating and DX work. A must read.

I'm glad I finally bought a copy and read it.

Steve, VR2XMQ / VR10XMQ

AB1HL Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2007 06:32 Send this review to a friend
An in-depth technical DX book.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Most of this book is about antennas, appropriately
enough. It also has good chapters about propagation,
equipment, and operating. Very quantitative and
scientific in flavor. Very informative!

KD5MJJ Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2007 04:28 Send this review to a friend
A Must Have Book  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The book's thoroughness, extensive practical applications, and completeness is well above what you would expect.

If your interest is HF Dxing, you need this book. The wire and vertical antenna treatment is better than in the ARRL's Antenna Book. This book plus an ARRL Handbook gives you a complete knowledge bundle for HF DX station building with wire antennas..

My humble opinion only, 73 Hank K5ICW

ZS1REC Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2005 01:15 Send this review to a friend
If your are keen on the low bands, this is a MUST have!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You will find solid advice on all aspects of low band operation in this book from people who know what they are talking about.The chapter on propagation really caught my full attention.Even if you live on a small property like me,you will find enough information to built and optimize an antenna system. Some chapters I read over and over again!
A great book with lots of real content to dig into.

ON6CV Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2005 05:16 Send this review to a friend
The Reference with a capital "R"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi, just received last week the 4th edition of this "ON4UN's Low Band DXing" book.

It is not a "book" it's the bible of it all.

Who can claim on this earth to put better information on 160/80/40m bands than those found into that reference book, no one IMHO.

What it's true however is that this book is not for the common people (like you ?) or casual HF operator (like me ?) ! You need some serious knowledge about electronics but this book is really a joy to read. Highly technical but not a problem to me.

Even if I CANNOT build myself any of the antennas described in this book (I have a small backyard of only 66ft by 33ft), each day I'm reading a part of it, I'm learning something new ! That's maybe what is the most important thing into hamradio is that you can learn and learn and learn each and everyday !

You'll learn a lot about propagation too, this first chapter will give you a bunch of information on the subject !

Chapter 2 is how to operate and chase DX on the low bands. Chapter 3 is about Receiving and Transmitting equipments, you have also the "antenna design software", general, terms and definitions on antennas, the feedline and the antenna, receiving only antennas with beverages and arrays, loops, the dipole, full size or shortened, vertical antennas and radials, large loops antennas, etc.

At first I said, I wonder how it is possible to have all of this in a single book ! The answer is "ON4UN's Low Band DXing" for sure and without any hesitation.

What is impressive is the global work that has been done by John, it is not a 3 days project and I don't know exactly how John found the time to help me with a CE marking problem on a Yaesu Mark V FT-1000MP, during at least 3 days and maybe more... thanks John.

I paid this book only 33 euros (USD $43) [An opportunity for us, members of the UBA] and John even adds some personnal words on the first page just and only for me ! This book could be really more expensive, as it is often the case with technical publications... great news, this book cost absolutely nothing and for the price you have a CD-ROM with the PDF files, antennas software and lots of pictures of the ON4UN's personnal antennas.

So, what are you waiting to buy yourself a copy ?

All the best from Eric, ON6CV.
73 (never plural !)

AC6DD Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2005 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Fourth edition - a must have update.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just picked up the new, Fourth edition of this book. I own all three previous editions. This is a must have update, with quite a lot of new material.

The updated propagation and vertical array chapters are in my opinion simply great. The monster arrays are not for everyone, but it is nice to see that there are some very dedicated individuals out there.

The best part of the book is the receiving antennas. This includes new developments in small receiving vertical arrays by W8JI, K8BHZ, W8LRL, N7JW/K7CA. This will definetly help the many of us with no room for beverages.

The book also includes a CD, which includes the whole book in PDF format, Antenna software, and a bunch of pictures.

I own a bunch of Antenna books, from the simplest on how to make a dipole to books with way too much math to serve any practical use. This is not an advanced math book. You only need a fundamental understanding of electrotechnics to figure out what the calculations are all about. However it is also not a beginners book. (I started building antennas with the Bill Orr series some 20 years ago.)

Excellent bedside book for anyone involved in the low bands, go and get it!

G0KYA Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2004 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant! A must read for all hams  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this book about three years and am constantly re-reading parts of it. The section on propagation is worth its weight in gold alone and doesn't just re-hash old theories either. For instance, the section on greyline shows that signals at right-angles to the GL are more common. The antenna sections are fantastic if you have the real estate. If you only ever take a glimpse at 160, 80m and 40m now and again you will still find the book useful.

VK3KCG Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2004 01:58 Send this review to a friend
"A MUST HAVE"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This book is worth its weight in Gold for anybody experimenting with 40,80 or 160 meters.
I would rate this book a "Must have" as it has a wealth of practical information on the design and construction of these antennas.
I most likely own just about every antenna book and this one is in the top 5%.