Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/PodCasts on ham radio | The Complete DXer by W9KNI Help

Reviews Summary for The Complete DXer by W9KNI
Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $19.95
Description: Now out of print, this book covers every significant aspect of DX'ing. The author, Bob Locher W9KNI, dominated the CW-DXCC Honor Roll for years. Although written with the CW operator in mind, the information will be useful for all DX'ers.
More info: http://www.idiompress.com/about.html

You can write your own review of the The Complete DXer by W9KNI.

N4KW Rating: 4/5 Aug 28, 2011 17:39 Send this review to a friend
A Good Book for the New DX'er  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
About a month ago I read "A Year of DX" by the same author, and really enjoyed it. This book covered the basics of; how to tune a band, about working pile-ups, towers, antennas, and a bit on propagation and more. If you are thinking about getting into DX'ing then this book would be a good place to start. You will have no trouble understanding the subjects covered in this book.

AB1HL Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2007 06:30 Send this review to a friend
What it's like to chase DX.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a good book about the process of
hunting DX. Most of the book is narrative
in form, using examples of operating from
the author's experience. Full of good
operating tips, techniques, and philosophy.

KB1KIX Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2005 23:29 Send this review to a friend
CW oriented, great read  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read a chapter a night, and this went quick - a few nights I read a couple.

This authors style clearly demonstrates YEARS behind the dial of a radio. The examples used, the techniques used here are saving me years of confusion and allowing me to improve some skills from the get go.

Even though this book is heavily CW oriented, and I'm still working on my CW skills, I have still learned a lot.

I am working on the first edition here, so I don't know what's in the later editions.

A classic read, even more so if you are new to the hobby and CW and you really want to get a good jump start on operating CW - especially in them pile ups.

Jonathan

NI1N Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2003 01:06 Send this review to a friend
Some of the best reading you can do  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not a new ham, nor am I new to DXing. And, I don't generally enjoy reading. But, I had hard time putting this one down; it was nothing short of great reading. It was nice to see discussion of the same techniques that I've taught myself over the years... techniques that seem to obvious now yet so few people in the pile-ups seem to get. The stories it tells just put a big grin on my face; it was a lot of fun reading the anecdotes about things I related to in so many ways.

The skills discussed in this book are an absolute *must* for anyone who wants to increase his or her country count much beyond 200 or so. It just won't happen otherwise. If you're not there yet, next time you're sitting in a pile-up and you can't get through and you hear people who seems to always get the DX in one or two calls: don't sit there and think what antenna you'd like to get or what $5000 amp you'd like to buy; spend $20 on this book instead!

I firmly believe that the DXing skills discussed in this book will do more for your ability to crack that pile-up than the $5000 amp will. And, for those who are already there, its just downright great reading (even if you're like me and don't like to read!)

KC7MM Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2003 12:29 Send this review to a friend
It keeps getting better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I loaned out my old copy of The Complete DXer to a friend(?), and never got it back. So when I heard that Bob had come up with a revised third addition, I did the logical thing, and phoned him immediately! We had a great ragchew, both of us recalling our past lives in the frozen mid-west.

The book arrived several days later. As several reviewers noted, it is almost impossible to put down! Bob's writing style is still as engaging as always, with the inclusion of a few updates to bring us all up to present day DX techniques. The lessons I have learned (and relearned)from this wonderful book are: 1) listen, listen, listen; 2) get your CW skills up to snuff; 3) operate in an honorable manner; and 4) have fun!

Now, to start reusing those skills, and get out the soldering iron. Yup, ordered his SCAF filter too!

NZ7C Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2003 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Best operating book ever!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Imagine my surprise after I received my copy of The Complete DXer from Elecraft's new books store when I realize that Bob from Idiom Press is Bob Locher the author!!! As many of you will agree, Bob's Logikey is the best keyer out there (bar none) and his service is right on par with Elecraft's! Now I find out he's a DARN good writer! Many of us are new to Ham radio over the last 2 - 5 years or so and have never tried serious DX! Heck, I'm just jazzed from learning cw and getting my cw WAS via ragchews! Oh I have 25 country cards - but just by accident hi hi. Bob's book is totally motivating for going the next step. It sits right there in my porcelain closet aka "the small library" and reads like a good novel. I love it! This IS NOT your normal techy book - it's hard to put down. I also love the "value" system that Bob places on Ham radio - learn to listen and have fun :-) Maybe for you top notch Hams that have "been there - done that" it might be "old hat" - but for me I would have to easiy say this is the best single Ham book I have ever seen. Great job Bob and Elecraft is doing a good service by putting it on their site!
73/Tim NZ7C

W9GOC Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2003 18:41 Send this review to a friend
New DXer's virtual Elmer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice narative style - - good real-world examples of QSOs and the strategy and techniques needed to get the distant station into the log. It is presented as a read it, try it book - - it starts with reminding you of the importance of learning how to EFFICIENTLY operate your radio(s),then moves on to info on where point your beam to anticipate the propagation openings, and gives insight into the operating conditions on the Other side of the pile-up. You'll read it more than once, and glean new insights each time.

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2003 00:11 Send this review to a friend
Great DX Book  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wish I could find my copy of this, must have misplaced it somewhere. Try to read it at least once a year to keep up on DX basics and operating style. I am sure that this book has helped me to get a few new ones I might have otherwise missed. Got to meet W9KNI at Hamcomm last year-a real nice guy in person also.

This book is very easy to read, and really holds your attention. You feel that you are in the shack with him, and you get excited when he gets a new one. It is also fun to read about the new one that got away for him, and to realize that I already have that one confirmed.

Just one question. Bob, I forgot to ask you this at hamcomm, so I hope you are reading this. You keep talking about your separate transmitter/receiver setup, but never say what it is. I am guessing Collins S-line. Am I correct? Anyone know what he is using?

N3DQU Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2003 23:29 Send this review to a friend
A Great Read!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yep, I agree with the other reviewers who gave this book a 5 rating. I didn't have a clue to the in's and outs of DXing, but after reading The Complete DXer, I saw the light! I have since re-read the book a number of times, as it is very easy to read and entertaining as well. This is a classic that should be in every aspiring DXer's shack.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2003 21:38 Send this review to a friend
The Best DX Book  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There have only been a few books on DX-ing, and I like just about all of them, but this one is my all time favorite. I had been trying to get one used on Amazon or Alibris, but couldn't. Luckily, W9KNI recently posted an eHam ad selling autographed copies of the last bunch that he had.

Its narrative, conversational style is excellent. It is both entertaining and informative. I'm at 260 countries toward DXCC Honors as of this review - and its really neat to read another DX-ers thoughts. The second edition is a little bit dated, but it is especially nice to read about skills you can use (pre-cluster).

Good for all levels, and very well written.