Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Hammarlund HQ-150 Help

Reviews Summary for Hammarlund HQ-150
Hammarlund HQ-150 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $295
Description: HF General Coverage Receiver

You can write your own review of the Hammarlund HQ-150.

N6LQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2012 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Great for SWLing  Time owned: more than 12 months
Agree with most of the comments below. I have a Drake R8A for SWLing but find myself using my HQ-150 for most of my SWLing. Why? Because of its hi fi audio! For all their vastly improved stability, selectivity (although the HQ-150 is no slouch in that department if you know how to use its filtering and Q-multiplier), and sensitivity (above 20 mhz, where the HQ's a little hard of hearing - below 20 mhz it's VERY sensitive with the advantage going to my R8A only because of its synchronous detector), new stock (i.e., no Sherwood SE-3 accessory) general coverage receivers just aren't that pleasurable to listen to programming material on.

N0XE Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2011 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for it's era  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a big fan of the early single conversion Hammarlunds, the HQ 150 is in the same family as the HQ 120, 129, 140, etch, When properly recapped, tubes, resistors changed, etch and gone through (proper alignment which is critical for all in this series) they are great old receivers. If you are a real CW fan then you will find the HQ 150 with it's great Q multiplier to be an excellent CW radio. AM is also superb and SSB sounds fine too if you know how to receive it properly. Too many hams review gear from the past and try to hold it to modern gear standards, also way to many are reviewing radio gear that is not operating 100% to specs, this causes a lot of false information to be posted and leads to unfair evaluations at times. The early Hammarlunds like many early single conversion receivers that have no prodect detector will work best for SSB and even CW reception by using manual AVC control, turning the AF gain to max and controlling the volume of the receiver with the rf or sensitivity control. Once warmed up a properly restored HQ 150 will hold frequecny very well for hours. They are not Collins but for the price they are hard to beat for great audio and very good all around performance. Drift is usally not an issue with the 150 once properly warmed up. 73 Jim N0XE

K7WXK Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2011 15:46 Send this review to a friend
Update of previous review  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm sure the previous review seemed a little confusing, so I am adding an explanation. After further review, I must say that the only negative I have noticed is the tendency for the receiver to drift. For that reason I am downgrading my rating from 5 to 4. Otherwise it is a great value in vintage receivers.

KK7B Rating: 4/5 Nov 20, 2005 13:40 Send this review to a friend
A Classic for the Experienced Radioman  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The HQ-150 is an opportunity to explore the lost art of operating a classic radio. Unlike modern receivers or the more user-friendly Collins 75A4, almost every knob on the front panel of the HQ-150 rewards skill and punishes inexperience. The HQ-150 has seven interacting knobs that affect selectivity. For AM operation they can all be turned off and ignored.

For SSB and CW, the audio gain control is turned up and left alone, and volume is adjusted with the RF gain control. Whoopy CW and distorted SSB indicate that the RF gain control is set way too high. For CW and SSB operation, the more you experiment with the controls, study the schematic, and think about what you hear, the better your results. My HQ-150 is not as stable on the higher bands as modern receivers, but it will sit on a 75 meter SSB net all day without attention. When properly adjusted, the selectivity is a delight, and it is fun to play with all those controls and listen to the effects.

I have space for only one receiver at my operating position. That space has been occupied by a 75S3C, an HQ180, and a 75A4. I now exclusively use the HQ-150, mostly for operating CW and listening to SSB. It takes more skill and patience than my other radios, but it hears at least as well, and sounds better on SSB and CW. It is everything a Boatanchor receiver should be.

W4PTO Rating: 4/5 Jan 4, 2003 19:31 Send this review to a friend
O.k 'cept for CW  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this radio before I sold it sometime in the mid '90's. I had it teamed up with a crystal controlled Knight Kit T-60 transmitter. Fun stuff but the '150 would tend to "yoop" after putting the STBY/RCV switch back to receive. Reports came back that my xmtr was chirpy. Imagine that: a yoopy receiver and a chirpy transmitter. But it was fun and I had lots of complements from the Ikensu crowd. I wouldn't recommend the HQ-150 for CW work but it would make a great AM receiver.

JAMES_BENEDICT_EX_N8FVJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2002 19:04 Send this review to a friend
OK Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a good single conversion receiver. The radio has a Q-multiplier & a crystal filter (not a high performance crystal lattice type). The two filters perform reasonably well. The frequency dial is not a high-rez type, thus keeping a log will help. Any Collins or Drake will outperform this radio.