Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Hammarlund Super Pro SP-210X Help

Reviews Summary for Hammarlund Super Pro SP-210X
Hammarlund Super Pro SP-210X Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: General Coverage HF Receiver

You can write your own review of the Hammarlund Super Pro SP-210X.

W8ZNX Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2007 15:04 Send this review to a friend

i traded for a NC-183D

but i sure as hell
miss the old SP 210X

note to new age ops

I do not expect things from
this receiver
that were not expected of it
when it was new

Mac

KG6FWT Rating: 4/5 Jul 1, 2005 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Reliable old plowhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this rig for over 20 years. Great sensitivity and selectivity. As good or better as my mid-range digital desktop SWL radios (Sangean/Sony). I'll hear it fine on the "Hammer" and it'll be significantly weaker and harder to copy w/the other radios.

This BA is why I became a Ham. I got interested in SWL using it late at night w/a long wire out in the back yard. One night I was tinkering w/the antenna lead-in and touched the HV accidentally. Nearly blew myself and the mains to kingdom come. I packed it up (bad Ju-Ju) and started tinkering w/crystal sets that dealt in mV and uA instead. As a result, I began to learn how radios actually worked and met some "good Joes" in the local Ham club at Field Day 2001. They encouraged me to study and take the Tech exam and the rest is history! I'm active in my localclub and the "Hammer" is back at work in my shack, glowing happily most nights. I'll be buried w/it, just in case the Pharaohs were right!

WB6NVH Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2004 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Great receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
The prewar Super Pros are sleepers which are not widely appreciated and thus you can buy them for far less than more popular receivers (often junk) from that era. The original external power supply weighs a ton so it seems to always be missing from the ones I buy. If you buy one of these receivers, figure on replacing all the wax paper capacitors before putting it to use. One weird thing is that the early Super Pros have s-meters which work backwards...

W1GFH Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2002 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Best AM audio of all  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am one of the AMers who swears by this radio. At 16 kc (or even at 8 kc) IF bandwidth, it has the rich, creamy smooth AM sound and warm tube overtones that you just don't get from most communications receivers. In terms of pleasant audio, I have put it up against an SX28 - and the Hammarlund won.

N8FVJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2002 19:42 Send this review to a friend
High-end Audio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Considering the 1938 design, the designer was brilliant. It is almost unbelievable radios like this existed 65 years ago. The radio has a so-so xtal filter, however the mechanical coupled I.F. bandwidth control actually works! The 15 watts of high-end quality PP audio using triode connected 6F6s driven by a 6F6 could 'fly' in a modern high-end tube type stereo system. Good sensitivity with a good audio amps equals picking out the signal you want to hear out of the three on top of one another. Some AMers swear by this radio. A SP-400 would perform about the same- bargain priced as well.