Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | M2 40M1-LA Help

Reviews Summary for M2 40M1-LA
M2 40M1-LA Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $643.00
Description: 40mtr + 17mtr Rotatable Linear Loaded Dipole
More info: http://www.m2inc.com

You can write your own review of the M2 40M1-LA.

N0IDX Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2013 01:59 Send this review to a friend
Built, works, and looks great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one long antenna as far as what I'm used to. It's 46 feet across (23 foot turning radius), but it's made extremely well. The truss across the top uses the linear loading rods to keep it strait, and it is strait as an arrow across the entire span making it look great. Just testing it at about 40 feet (final height to be 53 ft.) I had below 2:1 SWR across the entire 40 meter band, and went above that in just a tiny portion of 17M. The final height will even improve that. I pulled it up tied to a rope from the ground and installed it by myself in about 30 minutes. On the air (again just testing) I worked Ireland, Slovania (twice), Columbia, and Hawaii. First call. The instructions were easy to follow and the antenna was complete in about 3 hours including beer breaks. Shipped direct from the factory in two days free. I couldn't expect any more from an antenna like this. Nice job M2.

NM6E Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2002 00:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Antenna Specifications:

Model: 40M1-LA Rotatable Dipole
Frequency of Operation: 6.9-10Mhz + 17mtr optional Add-On Kit.
Bandwidth: 250Khz x 2:1 VSWR
Gain: 0dBd
Impedance: 50 Ohms Nominal @ 50'
Balun: 1:1 (supplied!)
Power Handling: 3KW
Element Length: 50ft. When tuned to 7.050
Wind Area/Survival: 3 Sq. Ft./100 Mph
Weight: 22 Lbs.

Having bought my own house (I lived at my parents house in San Francisco on a typical city sized lot), I wanted to be able to put up an antenna on 40mtr that would be much better than a vertical or a wire dipole and have wide bandwidth.

I talked with Mike, K6MYC and exchanged various emails on what I wanted to do and wanting the most bands with no tuner. Having settled on the M2 KT-36XA for 10-15-20m (see review for that one), Mike modified his 40M1-LDX to create the 40M1-LA, 40+17mtr rotatable dipole.

Ordered from SSB Electronics along with the M2 KT-36XA, the antenna was shipped direct from the M2 factory in 2 days and it arrived in perfect shape, all parts present.

The Rotatable Dipole is tuned at 7140 with an SWR of about 1:2. At the bottom end of the CW band (7000), the VSWR is about 1:6. The VSWR at the top end, 7300, is 1:9.

The 17mtr Add-On option is extremely simple to add to the 40M1-LA. A 3/8" tubing about 48" long, (I cut mine to 42" inches) attaches to the 40Mtr Linear Loading portion and it is held in place by insulated standoffs attached to the "main" part of the 40mtr ½" tubing. This kit is installed in 5 minutes.

On 17mtrs, it is tuned to 18.100 with a VSWR of 1:2. It covers the entire 17mtr band with a VSWR of 1:2, perfectly tuned and no need for any sort of antenna tuner/matching device.

The M2 40M1-LA is mounted at a height of 43 feet and the M2 KT-36XA is mounted at a height of 34ft. Due to "roof" interaction, I had to place the antenna (40M1-LA) in parallel with the 36XA elements so that both antennas are "happy." (I made a homebrew Rohn 25G peaked roof mount tower)

The 40M1-LA works incredibly well on 40mtrs and having a little directivity is great. Signals come up from an S2-3 to S4-5 when pointed off in the right direction of the station. I have worked over 25 countries on 40mtr in my "casual" contesting/Dxing running only 200 watts. I especially LOVE its broadband coverage, the entire 40mtr band!

On 17mtr, the antenna really plays well. No need for a tuner on this band. I have worked 20 countries (only because I forget I have 17mtrs built into the antenna!) and many states. I get excellent reports. It works incredibly well.

The manual is very well written, straightforward and simple to follow.

One thing is that my 40M1-LA works on 12mtrs with my radio tuner. The SWR is about 3:1 but I am certain any simple tuner will make it work for a quick "QSO/band Country"

I am EXTREMELY happy with my M2 Powered Station. I find having the 40M1-LA and the KT-36XA an EXCELLENT combination while only running 200 watts.

FYI: We just had our "first" MAJOR STORM (11/7/02) in Northern California and the winds were clocked here at my QTH were 50 Mph. The 40M1-LA flexed normally and the KT-36XA wiggled (mostly due to rotor). Both the 36XA and the 40M1-LA are built to last and the excellent construction is evident in it's wind survival rating…

I would not hesitate to strongly recommend M2 antennas. The post sales support is as excellent as the pre-sales support. Mike, Matt and Wyatt are extremely helpful and pleasure to deal with.

With my M2 antenna combination, I cover on the 40M1-LA 40+17 (+ 12mtr with tuner) and with the KT-36XA the 10-15-20mtr bands.

These antennas really Kick Butt.

Javier NM6E