Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | RASCAL Help

Reviews Summary for RASCAL
RASCAL Reviews: 11 Average rating: 2.6/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: Radio to Computer Interface
More info: http://www.packetradio.com

You can write your own review of the RASCAL.

CURIOUSHAM Rating: 0/5 Dec 1, 2009 09:32 Send this review to a friend
junk, plus no support  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a piece of junk. Shoddy workmanship and non-existent customer service. I junked it an bought a Rigblaster and never looked back.

KK0DJ Rating: 0/5 Mar 12, 2006 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Less than splendid  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's nice to see that this fellow didn't just treat me like gum stuck to his shoe. Product is ok, not spectacular, but the fellow is less than splendid. I would buy from anyone else except this man. He needs a course in bedside manner.

W3UTD Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2006 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Works well, but ...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two Rascals, one for my FT-1000MP and one for FT-857. They both work very well, no problems at all. However, don't bother them with any questions or an email, because they are downright snotty with their replies. I would ave given a 5, but their attitude cost them a point.

N7ZSD Rating: 0/5 Mar 11, 2006 21:37 Send this review to a friend
Buyer Beware!  Time owned: months
Chances are that if you purchase one of these units, it will work fine. It is pretty much plug and play. However, if you have any problems with it be prepared to have a battle on your hands!
Mine had a defective component right out of the package. (Bad resistor) I gave the company every opportunity to make it right, but the owner refused. He would not believe that anything could possibly be wrong with the unit and all but called me an idiot. I was even accused of sending something in to him to be repaired before, which was not true. I ended up repairing the unit myself, and the only satisfaction I received was a in a form of a lenghty yet to the point email I sent to him. A $43 lesson learned for me...go elsewhere from here on out!

NG1I Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2005 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Good all round  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I ordered my rascel interface USB version via phone...had no problems. Found out I could have ordered over the net but a friend gave ne the number.

Polite and no problems....fast shipment and a nice CD with all sorts of good stuffon it

OK with me.....

N0MBW Rating: 4/5 Jun 20, 2005 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Good Product, Poor Customer Service  Time owned: months
This is a good product, but the company needs to learn how to treat customers as well as prospective customers. They are very rude on the phone, and they have poor people skills.

AF4O Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2004 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Good basic Interface  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these kits. I use them primarily on WSJT and PSK31. They work fine for me. If you are not willing to experiment a bit and solder, then you might ought to shell out the extra $$ for a fancier unit. Experimenting and soldering is part of the fun for me though. I will buy one again should I find a want for an interface. I had rather spend the $$ on some other gear. Nice basic kit that should clean up your computer tie in signal and you are willing to use the audio card software levels for tweaking.

KB1IJC Rating: 0/5 Dec 17, 2004 03:12 Send this review to a friend
Awful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I tried using a VX5R - Rascal setup while traveling and living out of hotels for 6 months.
Anyway, the plug on the Rascal would not make a proper connection to my radio. I had to push the plug in and then pull it out just until I felt some pressure, then oops! to far out, back in, back out, in, out, just enough that I wanted to throw it out the hotel window.
Tried the usual contact the seller for help. He offered all kinds of suggestions related to two main problems. 1. It was operator error & 2. It was a problem with the VX5.
I'll agree I am not the smartest man in the world, but what is hard about pushing in a plug?
Second, as for the radio, well it was nearly new, and I use an external mic on it without any problems using strangly enough, THE SAME PLUG he was telling me that was messed up.
Ok, so it might be the radio because I know I am not stupid. Checked it with another brand new VX5RS and the same problem.
I asked the guy for more help and I got a complete refusual from him. He was rude and quite to the point. "It's not the rascal" end of story.
It seemded like a quick easy interface and a snap to setup and use. Sadly it became a headache.
I would get rid of the POS, except that I would not want to give that junk to someone else, then have them look at me like I ripped them off.
I hope to gut it out for parts and possibly use it on a different setup.
I have seen people complain about the pin setup on the VX5's but I have not had any trouble using different aftermarket mic's so I believe the plug on the rascal to be junk.
Next week I will have a rigblaster and I'll give that one a try on a mobile radio and leave the HT for walking around.

Hope to see you on Echolink soon.
KB1IJC

KD1XH Rating: 1/5 Aug 9, 2004 03:31 Send this review to a friend
Bad product, worse service  Time owned: more than 12 months
It was quite a while ago that I had bought my Rascal. Perhaps Buck has learned a few things since, but my experience was poor.

The model I ordered was for the Yaesu FT-100, with a plug for the microphone jack. I was using my radio mobile and was also operating digital modes in my car (stationary of course), and already had enough wires running up and down the car.

In order for the radio to be keyed to transmit, there needed to be a 27k ohm resistance in place between PTT and GND, which was not included in this model, which it should have been. I e-mailed to tell him it didn't work, to which he responded that it worked fine for him, that it must be my error. He was very "cocky" about it too. After doing a little research, I found what needed to be done and fixed the unit myself.

In short, if you receive a defective unit, he will never admit to it being his error, and he may be a jerk about it too.

W3UTD Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2003 18:46 Send this review to a friend
RASCAL GLX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought one for use with my FT-1000MP MKV. I interface with the Packet jack on the rear panel so there's no messing with the mic at all. I had it plugged in and installed in 2 minutes, my first PSK31 QSO one minute later on 20M. The price can't be beat, the construction is perfect and the performance is perfect. A highly recommended product.