Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Radio Shack PRO-95 1000 channel Dual Trunking Scanner Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack PRO-95 1000 channel Dual Trunking Scanner
Radio Shack PRO-95 1000 channel Dual Trunking Scanner Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $249.99
Description: High-performance, extended coverage scanner has the ability to scan both trunked and conventional channels at the same time. It has 1000 memories–arranged in 10 banks of 100–and 1000 ID memories that can display your text entries for easier identification of frequencies.

The triple conversion circuit and switchable 20dB attenuator cut image-type interference. The display provides 4 lines of 12 characters and has a push-button backlight with programmable on time. You can search preset non-trunked police/ fire, marine, CB, Ham and VHF-air frequencies for activity
More info: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp/rmivars%3ftarget=_top?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F001%5F002%5F007%5F000&product%5Fid=20%2D525

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack PRO-95 1000 channel Dual Trunking Scanner.

REDCROSSMATT Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2007 17:35 Send this review to a friend
One Heck of a scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my radioshack pro 95 for about six years now, I absolutley love this scanner. I also have downloaded the win 95 software for it and it makes my life easier for programing trunked radio files. If anyone knows of any pro-95 internet groups let me know.

AG4HQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2007 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Very good scanner!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine when they went down to $99. I have been an avid scanner listener for 15 years, and this is one of the best I have owned. Radio Shack now sells a USB cable to connect the scanner to your PC. It is expensive, $30, but makes it very simple to program the 1000 channels and get all the alpha tags in. The programing software is free on the internet.

KG4COQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2006 12:51 Send this review to a friend
Audio mod  Time owned: more than 12 months
The below mod for the audio might work for headphones and the like as well but I have not needed to try it.It might work on the Rat Shack Base scanners too.
Just a thought,
Don,
KG4COQ
Tampa Bay

KG4COQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2006 12:43 Send this review to a friend
mod for spkr output  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although this scanner is rather hard to program of those who are new to the hobby,it becomes easier if you can find someone with the ability to do it for you.
For those of you that want to use this radio in a car there is an answer to the low audio problem...Find a motorolia type speaker somewhere that works and install a speaker plug to the end of the speaker lead. Then cut and bare a short lenght of single conductor wire and wrap one end of the bare wire around the BNC jack on the scanner and twist the other end of bare wire in the shape if a small loop.
Place the small loop thru your speaker plug and then plug both into the audio jack on the top of the scanner.
You should see a big improvement in audio. Not sure why it works but have used this mod for over a year without any problems.All I know is this mod bypasses some sort of limiter in the scanners. Also works with several other Radio Shack scanners.
Good luck,
Don,
KG4COQ
Tampa Bay

EAGLE1 Rating: 2/5 Aug 3, 2005 01:28 Send this review to a friend
Not very good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For someone not familiar with the conventions of trunking communications, it was very difficult to understand how to program the receiver.

After hours of trial and error, I had sucessfully aquired reception of the local police dispatch.

I was very disappointed with the performance of the receiver. With the flexible antenna, the signals were scratchy. With an external antenna, the signals were overloading. It has a very poor AGC circuit. Also, it has no (or very poor) AVC. When a person didn't speak powerfully into their microphone, there was no way to hear what they said, even with the volume all the way up, but the dispatcher heard them just fine judging by his or her response.

The volume is inadequate if there is any noise in the environment. It is virtually unusable in the car. It doesn't have enough power to dirve an external speaker either. You have to use an amplified speaker.

Over all, I am very disappointed with the PRO-95.

NIGHTHAWK Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2005 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a good radio that I bought at Radio Shack for $160.00 on sale. I'm impressed overall with this product, allows me to follow the action.

KG8PQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2004 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use scanners primarily at races that I attend. I've owned a couple of other Radio Shack scanners and the one thing that bugged me was the whole idea of trying to find a scheme to easy translate a frequency to a driver name. I used to use the last two digits of the channel number to represent the car number, but I attend races of differing series and seeing "04" would require that I stop and think what series' race I was at that weekend. The Pro-95's alphanumeric tagging was the perfect solution for me! The scanner stops and display the driver's name for me. Also, I can now easily differeniate "non-car" frequencies with text tags like "Race Cntrl", "Safety 1", "ABC Audio", "Medical", etc.

I also had been toying with getting a trunking scanner since our local public safety agencies are mainly using trunked systems. I'd seems to follow them just fine.

The audio is loud enough to use at races just fine. I don't seem to get as much interference from nearby signals as I did with my previous scanners. The built-in attenuation is nice so I don't have to use a "stub" antenna at the track.

As for the programming aspects of the scanner. Radio Shack does not sell a programming cable for the Pro-95. I tried to build one from scratch using plans from the Internet, but I could only download from the scanner. I then bought a simple bi-directional cable off of eBay and it works great with the programming shareware off the internet.

Others have noted that this scanner is a departure from the other Radio Shack (Uniden) scanners. That's beause the Pro-95 ISN'T made by Uniden. It's made by GRE!

KC9FDH Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2004 00:13 Send this review to a friend
Amazing what a little time can do!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One of my first scanners was a Radio Shack (Uniden basically) pro-53 dual trunking base scanner. I actually thought that radio was impressive, despite it's huge package which was totally unnecessecery. The best thing about it is that it looked nice (once again, despite it's huge package) and looked like real police equipment inside my vehicle. I thought it was a good radio overall, decent recepton with the antenna I had and durable.

And then the Pro-95 handheld comes along. I actually bought the Pro-95 for my father for Christmas. He liked it but he had no time to program it. Well, when I was programming I realized this thing kicked ass! The recieve was 1000 times greater than my Pro-53 base, not only that but it also had a better trunking system IMO. I think Uniden did one help of a job with this puppy. If your're reading this you might be considering the Pro-96 that has full digital power, save yourself the money. What you'll be able to pick up is a nightmare, you dont know where it's coming from. I'm not a big fan of trunking either for that same reason but the Pro-95 takes the cake for RX. The antenna it has is fine, could be a little cleaner sounding but you will pick up EVERYTHING.

My only gripe is that on the top, "volume" and "squelch" appear as though you'd be looking at them with it clipped on your belt, in other words upside down when looking at it. Think about it though, if that's the only gripe, it's a damn good radio.

Why do I have it now instead of my dad? Well, my dad liked the size of the Pro-53 and he bought a scanner antenna for the house so it looks more instituitonal, I'll give him that. We traded, we were both happy and I was probably happier :)

Price is right too! Right now you should be able to pick one up for $150, but I know people who bought it new for over $250 that don't even bitch about the price so I don't think you should either.

Buy it, buy it, buy it :)

KG6RRK Rating: 3/5 Sep 4, 2003 01:46 Send this review to a friend
There's gotta be better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First time scanner owner. If the manual was easier and I could actually get this thing figured out, it might be a great buy. Bought the computer software and plug that was supposed to go with it so I could "download all kinds of local frequencies" using my computer. They must have screwed up and gave me the wrong one. None of the configuation choices have the pro 95 as an option and it doesn't work. Having a bummer of a time getting the trunking thing going. Here in Sacramento all the good stuff is trunked, so I'm stuck. I'm just glad that Radio shalack has a 30 day return policy. There's just got to be a better trunking scanner out there for newbees.

KC8KRL Rating: 4/5 Jul 13, 2003 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Value!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I Drive a 1997 Honda Civic, and this handheld Scanner fits perfectly in between the seat and the parking brake handle.

I am an on call firefighter and emergency dispatcher, and this allows me to follow the action.

A real strong point for this radio is the ability to trunk and scan conventionally at the same time. It really makes mobile scanning a joy!

It could offer a little more oomph in the speaker.... sometimes hard to hear, even outside of the car.

Overall, it's a great product.