Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Metron 1000(B) or Transworld Electronics hf solid state Help

Reviews Summary for Metron 1000(B) or Transworld Electronics hf solid state
Metron 1000(B) or Transworld Electronics hf solid state Reviews: 9 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $600
Description: Solid State HF Amplifier Mobile. 1.8-30Mhz.
12V. 75Amps.

You can write your own review of the Metron 1000(B) or Transworld Electronics hf solid state.

NE2I Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2013 10:12 Send this review to a friend
A Classic SS Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
A great amp! never had any real issues. The output Transistors
MRF454 are available at rf parts. A simple design easy to use
operate and repair if necessary (I never had to)

VA3PWC Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2013 07:23 Send this review to a friend
BUILT LIKE A TANK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Mine is T500M (10-160 meters coverage)... Glat to have found that one in a prestine conditions.
I can use it mobile or even at home. With 50W input it gives 500W on 20 meters. On 40 meters with also 50W it gives 600W. On 10 meters with 50W in, this brick gives 400W. The maximum output was 700W with 75Watts in when I tested on 40 meters.. Easy to work lots of DXīs when you need to change fast the bands..Best thing is no need tuning. I can take this amplifier everywhere.. even when I go to my monther-in-law home where I have a vertical antenna on roof top, I usually take that amplifier with me. Lots of power mobile, portable and at home. If you find one.. go grab it !! Very well made inside, specially the band filters... Also very light amplifier when you compare with ALS500. 73 from Rick PY2EL / VA3PWC

AC5BA Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2011 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Massive Magnificance!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am very surprised that the popularity of the linear is not in line with it's design and performance levels.I never owned one of these amps until the about 2007, I bought the 1000 model with 10-80 meter coverage. Once I discovered the shear brute force and bullet proof design of it I quickly began searching for more of them. I then found the 1000B model 15-160. I think I would have bought as many as I could find if my finances would have allowed it. I knew that the design and component quality would never be offered in this day and age thus my attempt to "collect" them all if I could have.Nothing offered today can even come close to this beast.

N2WL Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2011 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Had one since new!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one in 1978. I was wanting an amp to take overseas and us as 5Z4PI and 5H3WL. It was new when I bought and I still own it and keep it in East Africa. Love it so much it may be time to bring it home. In the old days used it with an Atlas 310, later with Icom 735. Drove it with about 50 watts, there was a switch in the 735 and it worked faultlessly. Used it with an Icom tuner and also later with the SGC products. Always fed it with it's own 12 volt battery that I could trickle or feed from the cars alternator. Has served me well for over 30 years. Have the SGC brick and it's a lovely modern version of the same with frequency sniffing. This was the first 500 watt solid state 12 volt amp and its been part of my life and a friend since new. Delighted to hear the company still in business under the Datron name.

W7WX Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2011 22:46 Send this review to a friend
Solid Amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's been a few years since anyone has posted here, so I'll give my short time experience and results of the MA-1000B I was lucky enough to find which was in almost pristine condition.

In a nutshell, this is still a very viable option for those of us on a limited budget. Itís well built, robust, and although using out dated final transistors, works great! It deserves a 5/5 in my opinion.

I really wanted a reasonably priced mobile amplifier that would give me a solid 400-500w PEP with the nominal 13.8vdc my pick up truck has. Iím using currently an Icom IC-7000 and Scorpion SA-680S screwdriver antenna which do very well. I had been keeping an eye out for an amplifier for awhile but most in my price range were just a bit worn for my liking, and I had all but given up. I was already familiar with this amplifier and did a bit of investigating prior to considering one. Heat and over driving seemed to be the biggest culprits in problems for this amplifier, which I can deal with. Iím not interested in big wattage over great audio, so I thought it would be a good fit for my needs.

So far that has proven true for me, with 60w of drive (manufacturer recommends no more than 70w) the amplifier delivers a solid 475-500w PEP without breaking a sweat. That is exactly what I was after! The signal and audio reports Iíve received have also been terrific. Primarily no distortion, normal signal width, along with clear and clean audio. Just what the doctor ordered!

I also installed a couple of small fans on a switch in case a get a bit long winded. The amp is located in a well-ventilated area and although itís gotten a little warm hasn't really gotten hot. Iím very pleased with its performance so far. Itís not the SGC or THP, but for a fraction of the cost of those is a very decent performer.

I have enjoyed using this amplifier, and it has made mobile operations in sometimes "challenging" band conditions fun again.

73 de W7WX

DU1FV Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2007 16:03 Send this review to a friend
vintage but works  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this amp! I use the 500 watt version (the T500M). I had bought it as is and I had to replace some transistors. It has worked trouble-free since.

You just have to remember to keep the fans on while in use. I have a pair of surplus industrial grade switching 5v(modified to 6.25 volts) 120a supplies in series to power this amp.
Some info I got from the net: "The T500 was designed by a gentleman named Dennis Cobbe, who was the founder of Transworld Electronics based in Escondido CA. He continued to
work for Datron after Transworld was bought out. He passed away in 1997. He originally designed the amp because he was an avid ham and was unsatisfied with the amps available at the time.--
Philip de Cadenet G4ZOW"
A fine piece of american 1970's engineering, I should say.

J_LUMLEY_EX_KK9W Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2007 16:54 Send this review to a friend
WORKS LIKE A TIMEX  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
MATED WITH A MFJ 4175 POWER SUPPLY, WORKS GREAT FOR ME, IF YOU CAN TURN IT ON/IT WORKS FB

KA5TIZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2003 23:08 Send this review to a friend
A Great Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using a Metron 1000B amplifier for over a year in my office. I believe the unit is an early example and it is simply great amp. The swamping resistors needed changing when I got it and the bias needed adjusting. With these repairs made it has been a joy to opperate. With 55 watts it easily produces 500 watts and 80 watts produces 650 watts. These amplifiers require a heavy power supply, good cables and good antenna, but it seems to me that it is truly one of the best H F Amplifiers avaliable. My Metron works very well and I recomend them to anyone. I am sure that when abused they will fail, but I see no fault with mine and it is probably over 20 years old. Metron made a great amp.

K8DIT Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2002 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Do IT!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recieved alot of negative and cautionary advice about going mobile with 600W in a modern compact car. Dont do it, you'll fry the car's computer. The least youll do is fry something ancillary to the engine that will leave you out in the cold with a dead car. These people really sounded like they knew what they were talking about. So, like running with a pair of scissors in my hand, I tried it, didnt poke my eye out, and now I recommend it. I use the old amp in my '98 toyota corolla, as computerized a car as can be. I went to the guys who install high power music systems in cars for advice on wiring and electrical parts, and then had them come thru the firewall and install a terminal block on the wall of the tranny console on the passenger side, out of reach of incidental touching. I read the manual of the amp carefully and installed the amp in the passenger side footwell. I used adequate wire and a 100 amp breaker, and then a 40amp blade fuse on the terminal. I use a Ten Tec Scout to drive the amp so that I use no more than 50W. on any band.
Who cares if I cant get full power out. In marginal condx, I can talk to other mobiles and be heard and understood. When condx are good, I dont use the amp. I use a mag. mount on the roof from Lakeview ant. with four magnets to launch anyone's fiberglass single band whip. Valor, Hamstick, Antron, they all take the 600w and run cool. Someday I may try a screwdriver ant. The amp is bulletproofed with safety feactures that keep it from getting fried, as well as frying something else. I called the Toyota dealership to find out if there were any cautionary notes for my car with high power rf near the computer. It took a month to get a reply back through channels that noone knew of any cautionary engineering details relative to the electronics. My dealer said that the computer was warranteed way beyond anything else on the car, so if I did fry it, I would at least be covered somewhat by a corporate
warranty of some sort. He didnt guarantee me a freebie, I'm not that naive, but running with scissors? I'm at least that adventurous. The amp I have looks like a Metron MA1000, but has the Transworld electronics labeling on it, and has been determined to be identical to the Metron. These amps are rugged!