Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Hustler G7-144 Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler G7-144
Hustler G7-144 Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $160
Description: 7db gain 2 meter base antenna

You can write your own review of the Hustler G7-144.

K5AHH Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2012 14:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Overall!  Time owned: more than 12 months
--I have owned this antenna for 6+ years now. Easy to assemble, handles 1,000 watts (FM mode), can still be found for under $200. It has outperformed every other vertical I have ever used. This really is the best performing 2 meter vertical for the money. The SWR is 1.7:1 or less throughout the entire 2 meter band, so no narrow bandwidth here. Recommended wholeheartedly.

KG6UTS Rating: 4/5 May 13, 2011 13:02 Send this review to a friend
tough antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just refurbed a G7-144 for our club, W6RDF, packet node. Our location is on a bluff 350 ft above the Pacific Ocean so the antenna gets wind and salty air all the time. The material in this older model cleaned up very well, reassembled with a 1:1 swr. I did notice the following:

1: The metal sections held water because the weep holes were plugged. ( why the 4 rating) Opened up the holes with the next larger drill. It would help to tape or ScotchKote the joints.

2: You need to use an anti seize grease or compound on all joints if you ever want to get them apart again. Used a product from DX Engineering

3: The Aluminum cleaned up very well with bronze wool then Flitz. The assembled antenna was given a light coat of Dow Corning 111 to hold back corrosion

We have the 440 version and another G7 144, both will get the same clean up because thay are worth the effort.

73!
EdZ KG6UTS

KC9GMH Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2009 13:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Repeater Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used my hustler G7 for about 6 weeks now on my 145.23 repeater and the swr is a perfect 1.1 and no duplex noise at all. This antenna is very well built and very happy with it. Works just as good as a super station master antenna.

N1RIK Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2008 19:14 Send this review to a friend
good repeater antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for over 2 years on my 145.37 repeater. At one point I took it down and used a Tram 1481 so I could run my 2m and 440 repeaters on the same antenna. After noticing wide impedence changes with the 1481 and high swr in the rain (possibly by covering weep holes while rapping the UHF connector??), I switched back to the G7. It has been working great since. I bought this antenna used from N4DBM (formerly KC4FWC). It just seems to work good.

KC9MLL Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2008 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am currently borrowing this antenna from a fellow ham.
It came to me in Used condition, but works great!! it is several years old, but it always gets me a good signal report. At this time it is only 20' off the ground. but I am still hitting some really distant repeaters!

I have another antenna for 144, but I'll have to see if he is willing to part with this one!! It works great!!!

K1CJS Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2007 13:50 Send this review to a friend
This one is a keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
The G7-144 I have was bought used. I sent for the spec sheet and completely reconditioned the antenna. I did have to cut new radials for it, but the rebuilding was easy enough, and the fibreglass elements and the bottom loading coil were fine-no corrosion or water seepage at all.

I've had it up now for five years, with it coming down once about a year ago because of moving to another residence. With minimal attention the antenna went back up at the new house. I have to agree about it being better than a lot of 2 meter antennas. The range of this antenna is simply unbelievable.

I think the people who have it up at high repeater sites may expect too much of it. The G7-144, although rivaling the range of some commercial antennas, is NOT a commercial antenna after all, and a repeater site should have a quality commercial antenna if at all possible because of the less than ideal conditions there.

KC4FWC Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2007 03:55 Send this review to a friend
Good 10 year antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of these were installed at 300 Ft on a local repeater and lasted about 10 years. The radials falling off were the weakest link, some due to ice falling from the above tower and others due to wind vibration or birds. It was side mounted and top supported.

The fiberglass coils have tiny weep holes in the bottom which tend to stop up with bugs. However, small amounts of condensation in the coils really shouldn't have much effect on performance.

Water does tend to get in the aluminum tubing. After repairing the antenna, I stuck a piece of pine resin heat shrink over each joint before the hose clamp to keep water from migrating. I also bought some solid 3/8" aluminum rods which should out-last the rest of the antenna. With proper extra pre-care, this one is a great performer, especially for higher powered repeater operation where duplex noise needs to be minimum.

WA2NAN Rating: 1/5 Dec 5, 2005 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Poor Design  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using this particular model antenna for several years at our local repeater site. Our site is at 1400 feet ASL in the mountains of NY. The longest we can get this antenna to last is about one year. They always break in the same place, the end plugs in the load coils become unglued and the retaining pins break off. The company has been less than helpful in replacing the antenna under warranty. One of the antenna was defective right out of the box and they chose to repair rather than replace the brand new item. The repair lasted 3 months and the same thing happened again. This time I called them and they said send it in and we will look at it but we will not pay for any shipping to return the antenna to us. This was the second repair on the same antenna that failed. Bottom line the antenna will not hold up as a repeater antenna if there is any wind at all, and don't expect much assistance when the antenna fails. I suggest a commercial antenna be used and don't waste your money on this one.

KE4MOB Rating: 3/5 Dec 3, 2005 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Water, water, everywhere  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can echo the same concerns as the last reviewer. The last time we took down the antenna, we began to disassemble it and lo and behold, a teacup of water came pouring out.

Not good. It's up right now and working, but a 4 bay dipole is in the works to replace it.

AE6EO Rating: 4/5 Mar 3, 2005 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Good but not fully weather-resistant  Time owned: more than 12 months
A repeater association I'm a part of has had a G7-144 as its primary 2-meter antenna for about ten years.

We recently had some problems with it, and had to do a fairly substantial rebuild. Some aspects of this antenna's design leave it vulnerable to corrosion.

It's back on the air now, fixed, and probably better than new.

Details of the problem and the fixes can be found on my web site: