Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Hustler G7-144 Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler G7-144
Hustler G7-144 Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $160
Description: 7db gain 2 meter base antenna

You can write your own review of the Hustler G7-144.

AK9S Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2004 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Justed installed the G7-144 about 21' over the ground (at the base.) Was able to communicate with a distant repeater 60 miles away with only 5W. That's impressive for a low height installation.

Some things to know...
This antenna contains multiple sections that are attached to each other using short pieces of threaded rod. The ends of each section contain threaded recepticles where the thread rod is attached. Due to poor quality control, these recepticles are off-axis with respect to the section itself.

My erected antenna looks zig-zagged rather than perfectly straight!

You are also given a Frequency vs. Dimensions sheet for tuning your antenna. There are three lengths that must be adjusted which are given as X, Y and Z. Unfortunately, the illustations do not define where X, Y and Z are located.

FYI...

X = pertains to adjustable segment at the bottom of antenna
Y = " " " at center of antenna
Z = " " " at top segment of antenna

Other than these shortcomings, I appreciate the high-gain, quiet reception and nice SWR curve that this antenna delivers.

W6PMR3 Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2004 15:17 Send this review to a friend
The best non-commertial !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used these for years and cant say any more that what has already been said by others, GREAT base antenna.
I also cannot speak for all the others BUT, my G7 out performs small beams and ANY other omni out to the horizon. I have done many tests and comparisons with this antenna over the years and quite frankly think it is the best performing two meter base antenna made.

WA8EDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2004 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna in 1984 or 1985 and have never had any problem, even after re-locating twice to different sites and countless windstorms and frigid WX in extreme northern locations. The radials were bent from mis-handling and recently was taken down for a good clean-up. I use other antennas (3 elem. LPDA) for two meters but this one is a main stay. If it ever gets destroyed, I'll buy another.

WA8EDX

N9ESH Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2003 01:22 Send this review to a friend
A good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
Built like a tank! And works, too!

Not hard to tune. If you can't get the SWR down to 1:1, try spreading or compressing the 8 ga copper inductive shunt coil at the base (after adjusting element lengths for minimum SWR). I eventually removed one turn from the top of the coil.

KZ1X Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2003 13:10 Send this review to a friend
got you all beat: 22 years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Read the whole story:

There is only one. 22 years of service, flawless performance, unbeatable value, American-made and supported.

All the others are just pretenders.

KS3R Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2003 12:21 Send this review to a friend
17 Years of Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
We use this antenna on our club's 2-meter repeater. The only problem we had was one of the ground plane radials fell off. Not sure if it broke off or came loose, but it was after many years of service. We bought another G7 to swap out our original. Haven't put it up yet. After some clean-up, I'll be using the old one at my home QTH. You can see our original antenna in operation by going to http://www.nb.net/~rikercdr/sh-1hist.htm

73, KS3R
South Hills ARC

KZ9G Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2003 04:16 Send this review to a friend
Reliable High Gain 2M Base Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the same G7 since the very early ninties, and it's never failed to perform. Believe it or not, this antenna has survived near hurricane force winds while stationed at Keelser AFB in Biloxi, MS, as well as 6 Alaskan winters where the temp dipped to a figid -40 degrees F. The performance netted from this optimally spaced three 5/8 wave colinear vertical has been nothing short of outstanding. It is highly recommended for any ham station - base or repeater service. Email me if you'd like more info. 73 de Steve, KZ9G (ex: KL7DC)

W4KPA Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2003 21:54 Send this review to a friend
12 Years and Counting  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm surprised there are only two reviews of this antenna. My G-7 has been up for a total of 12 years at two different locations. It's survived ice storms, high winds, and one near-miss by a tornado. Even after all this time it performs very well. I've used several different omnidirectional antennas on two meters over the years, but I've been the happiest with this one. A G-7, fed with low-loss coax, and driven with 50 to 150 watts will give you an excellent simplex station. Repeaters, of course, will be a breeze.

AC5PS Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2003 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Has been great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had it up for three years and works like a hose! Brand new out of the box the threads on one of the sections were damaged, I deceided to try and put it together anyway, it went together tight and a little crooked but has been a great 2 meter antenna.

KB5ZVV Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2002 00:43 Send this review to a friend
Great product!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my antenna up for about nine years on my 2 meter repeater. It is side mounted with a fiberglass sway brace at 175 feet. This antenna has very good performance for the price. The threads of the top section where it connects to the fiberglass phasing coil are made of brass, so don't overtighten (the stud may bottom out before the lockwasher compresses fully, requiring a spacer washer). This happened to me on another G7 that I bought last year and I twisted the stud off. Hustlers customer support was great in getting me the new replacement parts.