Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MAXX-COM AUTOMATIC ANTENNA TUNER Help

Reviews Summary for MAXX-COM AUTOMATIC ANTENNA TUNER
MAXX-COM AUTOMATIC ANTENNA TUNER Reviews: 18 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $$395-$595
Description: 100% Solid State Construction. No moving parts to break or wear out. MAXX-COM is the most compact, simple, and efficient antenna tuner available! MAXX-COM matches in 1/1200th of a second. 150 - 2000 Watts. .1 - 250 MHz. VSWR is less than 1.5:1 on all frequencies.

More info: http://www.maxx-com.com

You can write your own review of the MAXX-COM AUTOMATIC ANTENNA TUNER.

DH5AK Rating: 2/5 Oct 13, 2017 12:16 Send this review to a friend
It works - but with modest efficiency  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned such a small MAXX-COM auto-tuner. Mine was white with a light-blue sticker on it, a feedthrough insulator at each side and a coaxial female on the wide side. I bought it used as I was VERY curious. I opened it but saw that the case was completely filled with a white resin. I used it on an endfed wire antenna, the counterpoise was the metal downspout. VSWR was acceptable from 80m up to 10m. However, my signals were quite low. All reports shoewd this. Then I built my own version: 1:4 balun on a ferrite core and 200Ohm/50W noninductive resistor at the output. The VSWR was good on all bands. The reports were a bit better, but still not acceptable. To compare this I used my old Collins matchbox. It had a 500pF variable capacitor, switchable fixed capacitors to gain a range of 0-1500pF and a 10ÁH roller coil from Johnson. I was able to find a match on many bands but NOT on all bands. All reports were 3 to 6 S-units better than with the MAXX-COM or my own broadband match. So, the MAXX-COM will be a 2 in my eyes, as it was too expencive in relation to its performance. My own version would receive a slightly better note but still NOT a 3 as it was cheap built from used parts. The Collins coupler would receive a 4 as it was NOT able to tune on all bands (its roller coil was too small). If I would need to work in a distress service, a MAXX-COM would by my fallback position and a modern automatic coupler my first choice.
T2FD and other terminated antennas have a higher efficiency than the MAXX-COM has. They radiate what they can and terminate then what was not radiated. But the MAXX-COM first terminates all RF-energy and raditates what is caused as an RF-voltage across the dummy load. In my eyes, this is the wrong way. However, if you just have a whip and do something like frequency hopping, you do not have a lot of choices...

WB4IVG Rating: 3/5 Mar 31, 2015 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Not All that it is cracked up to be Bad or Good!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned several of these units over the years. I got the first one when it was introduced in Dayton years ago. My father WB4STQ and myself owned and operated a HAM Store. Our location did not provide for large or long wire antennas. The first one I got did in fact work, I used it on an off center fed DiPole with the long leg being some 83 feet and the short side being 22 feet. It was used almost daily on 80 Meter MARS at 4.001.5MHz, 4.020MHz, 6.997.5Mhz, 7.335MHz. I will admit it is a dummy load in a box, however the antenna radiates what it is capable of radiating the rest goes up in heat, in other words no common mode current or SWR as it is usually called. All antennas only radiate what they can! Some are mor efficient that others. Look at the little Ham Sticks they have a great SWR but do not radiate well in comparison to the Bug Catcher type mobile antennas. SO do Max-Comms Work the short answer is yes but not as efficiently as other antennas. BTW T2FD's work on this same principle as do Beverage antennas.

AF2DX Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2014 00:06 Send this review to a friend
It works,SWR is almost ZERO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I made my own from the MFJ dummy load that is nothing but a big resistor.
Maxx-Com is gone now my the Company sold those magic tuners all over the world and the USA Military also put them through many test and after that all carriers had at least one of them.
Can any one here tell my why a high priced tuner will work better?
All the tuner is doing is letting the rig see that low SWR and a 25 watt resistor does the same.BOB AF2Q

VA3DK Rating: 0/5 Sep 21, 2014 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Yup just junk!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had to rest my suspicions.

Yup, just for fun, I finally got around to opening my old(flea market prize) a Maxcom tuner. It has some resistors, a toroid and a scrap circuit board that is not connected to anything.

It was fun, confirming it really is just junk.

I still am looking for my old antenna wire wax...:-)...

73's
Dave (VA3DK)

AF2DX Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2012 23:37 Send this review to a friend
Tuners are a POS and cost $$$$  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I used one for well over a year and works and I full log book of DX.
So what does a high priced tuner do?
Just makes the rig see what it's supposed to see but you look at that meter showing 90 watts and you just may be getting 15 watts to your single band dipole.
KA2ONS told me when he was in Alaska that I was the loudest of all 7 of us local hams here.
So why put down what works?
BOB
AF2Q

W4EAL Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2011 11:38 Send this review to a friend
The ARRL dummy load that works  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this tuner for over 5 years. It has always worked. I had the center up at 35' and the ends of the 150' span were at 10'. All I can say is it works. I didn't cut it open, x-ray it or anything else. I just enjoyed it every day for the 5+ years I have had it. If it is a resistor (I don't believe a 50 watt resistor would fit in the case) so be it. I do believe there are coils of Teflon wire within. Can't be very large though. Pan it all you want, does not change the fact that it works very well. I had used it so long that I had forgotten how to use a manual tuner. I bought and installed the Buxcom 80-1nfinity windom and took the Maxx-com down. Just to be fair I have been using the windom for about 6 months now and it works very well. The Maxx-com is quieter though. I hear lots of signals I didn't hear on the dummy load tuner but all of them are unwanted (noise, static crashes and such) but the modulation of ops I want to work are there and quiet. No programming to do no relays to stick or burn from nearby lightning strikes and no power required to operate it. Sonny is a genius. Sorry to see he has gone to another calling, but I am going to take the Buxcom down and get back to the Maxx-com.

Denny
w4eal

KC8AON Rating: 0/5 Oct 19, 2009 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Hogwash !  Time owned: months
You can do the same thing by using a coax T connector on your dummy load and connect a wire to it - much cheaper and will get out equally poor ! Use a real antenna and tuner and you will get much better results ! WH ywould anyone want to spend hundreds of $ on a resistor in a box ? I have never owned one and never will - I'm smarter than that !

AF2DX Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2009 00:14 Send this review to a friend
Worked great for me  Time owned: months
Back in 1996 I had the small unit.
I think right after ARRL called it junk.
My wire was 120 feet long.
18 feet up going out the window and 13 feet off the ground on the far end.
I was a constant 15=20 over S-9 working KA2ONS in Alaska.
He was in a jeep and used a CB whip.
I gave it to another ham and it's still in use today so why put it down if it works?
BOB
AF2Q

KK8ZZ Rating: 0/5 Aug 26, 2009 17:56 Send this review to a friend
What a Crock!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Add a little wire to a dummy load and you have this amazing POS... shows that someone will buy almost anything... Jeepers, guys... read up a little!

SWL377 Rating: 0/5 Jul 9, 2008 08:25 Send this review to a friend
lossy resistor antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you believe the hype build your own and save hundreds. I think the transformer is non essential. Just transmit into a 50 ohm resistor and attach some wire to radiate. If you want a closer copy, wind your own RF transformer on a torroid and connect it as a balun, 4:1 turns ratio ought to work.

It astounds me that any EE would endorse the mfr's performance claims, but rather than descend into that maelstrom I'll just say that I disagree. Anecdotal DX accomplishments mean zero. When conditions are right you can communicate with very low radiated power. People have worked HF DX transmitting into a coat hanger.

Do you wonder why no independent lab measurements of radiated power are presented? I don't.

MAX CON or MAX COMM? you decide.