Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Samlex SPS-1204UL Help

Reviews Summary for Samlex SPS-1204UL
Samlex SPS-1204UL Reviews: 15 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: Compact 3.5A Switching Power Supply with
cigarette lighter socket and terminal outputs.
More info: http://www.samlexamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Samlex SPS-1204UL.

N6PEH Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2004 17:25 Send this review to a friend
Good Portable PS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got mine for Xmas and it is doing a great job of running the Icom 703. The great thing about this power supply is the size. It is small enough to put in a laptop type carrying case with my 703 and all my other radio goodies and not taking up much space.

As mentioned previously, it does a great job with the 703. For less than $30 you can't go wrong.

K2ROK Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2004 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Great with the Icom 703  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
No hash and no problems. Runs my 703 to ten watts without a problem and makes for a simple and lightweight portable operation. I run 17 and 12 meters portable, and this little supply just does it's job quietly and cool. For the price -- it's great!

KB9VRG Rating: 4/5 May 24, 2004 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Does what I need it to do  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Powers my two Kenwood HT's without any trouble. Haven't heard any interference on VHF/UHF. Like the safety of a 3-prong plug.

KN4DI Rating: 2/5 Jun 6, 2003 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Not for SSB-HF Radios  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HASH ALERT - HASH ALERT - This power supply not suitable for homes with HF radios.

I liked this little supply -- I really did. It was small, lightweight, easily portable, no vent holes to allow dust inside. Just what I wanted for my new Icom IC-703 QRP rig.

But after a few hours of use, I found it produced S-9 plus "hash" every 60KHz which slowly drifted up the band. Not just on 160 & 80 meters, but on 40m & 20m as well. My Astron SS-30 didn't do that sort of thing.

Unfortunately, I can't really seem to use it to power anything else either (maybe a 2m/440 handheld), as it seems to radiate the "hash" far and wide.

So if you have an HF radio in the house, I'd suggest you look at the Astron SS-30 or SS-25 as an alternative, as they are supposed to be filtered so as to prevent any switching "hash" problems. I know they are much bigger, but do you really to listen to switching "hash" drift across that QRP signal you in QSO with?

N3CJN Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2002 22:46 Send this review to a friend
So Far, So Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received this little PS to use with my FT-817. I also have a Samlex SEC-1223 and am well satisfied with it. My brief check revealed no hash on HF, but haven't tried it on VHF or UHF yet.

After reading mixed reviews of MFJ's little switcher for the '817 and considering a little computer PS from Jameco that would require an adapter, I jumped at this one, instead. This one
may be slightly heavier than those as it has a metal case. But for use where there's AC power, who cares?

I already had added a cig. lighter plug to the Yaesu's DC cable, so this PS option was plug and play for me. For those who hate cig. lighter connections, you can pretend it isn't there and just use the spring terminals on the back.