Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | MFJ-1279 Ultimate Sound Card Interface Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1279 Ultimate Sound Card Interface
MFJ-1279 Ultimate Sound Card Interface Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $$139.00
Description: Sound card interface
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1279 Ultimate Sound Card Interface.

KE6K Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2015 13:17 Send this review to a friend
Very nicem asy to use interface  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used mine for 12 years, First with a TS-570D, then an IC-756PPOII, and now an IC-7200. The 7200 has an excellent USB interface but CW must be done via audio or an external keyer. Since I had this I hooked it up and works great again. Nicely filtered.
Had a wee problem with pin connects but an email to MFJ got a response in a couple of days that solved my problem.

N5VU Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2008 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works just as advertised. What more can I say. I use it mostly on SSTV and PSK.

K9CTB Rating: 4/5 Sep 29, 2007 00:06 Send this review to a friend
Nice little box, if pricy  Time owned: more than 12 months
An elmer and friend of mine, Steve would say, in addition to "You should have bought a KAM", that I should always "Build it yourself!" Well, I have in the past, built sound-card keyline circuits. But I was excited by the MFJ-1279 when I saw that one could "jumper configure" any microphone signal to any pin on the 8-pin mic plug. I bought one and found it to be immensely useful in my shack for SSTV, PSK-31 and even MT-63. I have had great results using the '1279 with an IC-718, an IC-746Pro, a Yaesu FT-600 and even a Harris RF-350K (RT-1446). It's been in my shack a long time! :-)

The MFJ-1279 can be configured to use either (or both) RS-232 signals to generate the keying signal for the rig. The '1279 is very versatile in it's adaptability to pretty much any rig and sound card combination. The audio signals, both send and receive, are transformer coupled. The RS-232 port of the computer is isolated from the rig by opto-couplers. A very professional job on the part of MFJ. There is a "monitor" feature that you can use to connect radio audio to your standard computer speakers. Also there are additional jacks on the rear panel that carry audio to and from the soundcard. Very convenient if you have some sort of audio analyzer or a recorder in the circuit. There is even a 1/4" jack for a foot switch key device. The box itself has a nice black finish which looks nice with the other gear in the shack. The 1279 comes equipped with the 12 vdc adapter, RS-232 and audio cables. All these things carry a price tag. Over 130.00USD new the last time I looked. So indeed if you are only looking for an RS-232 to rig keying setup ... by all means, spend the $2.00 and build it yourself. But if you want a very adaptable transmit/receive audio and keyline interconnection box for your soundcard modes, and you don't need USB support ... take a good look at the 1279.

VA3KAB Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2007 06:09 Send this review to a friend
works as advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been running one of these boxes for more than a year now using psk31 deluxe and dm780 software and a yaesu ft-840. Setting up the jumpers was pretty easy, just followed the instructions in the manual and it worked first time. I've never had a problem with it and it's logged a lot of hours over the last year.

I've thought about getting one of the new SignaLink USB boxes with the built in soundcard, they look pretty nice and I would be able to get rid of all the cables needed for the MFJ, but the bottom line is the MFJ is doing everything I need it to do so I have no real reason to buy something else other than it's always nice to have a new toy :)

All in all it's a well constructed unit that functions just as it's supposed to.

ZS6VL Rating: 4/5 Jan 28, 2007 07:21 Send this review to a friend
No problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had no trouble in setting up the unit, worked first time. Currently hooked up to my IC-718 and running MixW. Neat little unit, does what it's supposed to quite well. Construction / build could be a little better but nothing major to complain about. All in all a good product, although I generally find sound card interfaces a bit expensive for what they are, this one is no exception. Summary: recommended.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2006 05:58 Send this review to a friend
No problems configuring!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unlike the experience of WA6GON, I was able to quickly configure the interface. It has worked well and is still in use over a year later. I especially like being able to use a footswitch for PTT by simply plugging it in. Ths only thing I would like different is conventional pots with knobs for adjusting drive levels.

Dennis KG4RUL

KR4OW Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2005 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Good unit  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The nice thing about the 1279 is that it has a separate cw keying line tied direct to the computer port which still allows you to use it with your logging program and for contesting
Excellent. I bought this unit new and have had no problems with it I would recommend this to anyone

David KR4OW

N5IET Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2005 22:29 Send this review to a friend
GOOD JOB MFJ AS USUAL  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This soundcard interface is great.

It matches any mike connector with 8 pins.

Which means I dont have to buy a new one or a new cable when I change rigs.

Sorry "Rig Blaster", but not *real sorry* :0)

Oh I know you have to be able to effectively read a connection chart (like the simple algebra tables we studied in High School)

.. and you have to know where to look in your rigs manual to see the little cartoon drawings of the Mic Connector (without reading it backwards) but the drawings they have out today for the growing number of "non-technical" Hams out there should help that.

- still not sure how "non-technical" and Ham Radio goes together - but anyway on with the product review.

Got it all going in about 10 mins (no soldering).

No distortion or interference at all.
It just sits there and does what it was made to:
Give good clean digital encoding and decoding.

Cant ask for more than that.

My DELL and FT-920 loves it and so do I.

73 fer nw,
Bob N5IET

(old calls KE5CTY - WB5ZQU - WY5L)
10X# 37210, FP#-1141, SMIRK#-5177
Code may be taking a back seat for now,
but the pioneering spirit that put the code
there in the first place is out front of it all.

K9CTB Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2005 00:51 Send this review to a friend
Everything you need for the soundcard modes.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The MFJ-1279 is a nice addition to my shack. I bought it because I needed a method to adapt either (both) my TS-940, Yaesu 757 or my Harris RF-350 for use with the various sound card modes. With a little work, I made adapter cables for use with each rig. The MFJ allows you to key your rig from either the DTR, RTS or TXD signals on the com port. There is a "CW Out" RCA jack that you can even use to key your rig....not only in CW, but the other modes as well. This is great if you have an RCA style keyline say, on the rear panel of your rig. Both the audio in and out are transformer isolated. MFJ makes it easy to minimize the chance of a ground loop, because you can keep both audio lines easily isolated. There are both transmit and receive audio adjustments provided, which makes it nice to "set and forget" the audio settings within windows -- so it stays comfortable through your computer speakers when use the soundcard for, well, regular sound. All in all the '1279 is a great accessory. The only downside I see is that, with all the bells and whistles on the interface, I am surprised that MFJ didn't isolate the keyline control lines with optos or something. I guess however, that in all my time on soundcard modes, I've never seen a com port distroyed by a rogue transceiver anyway. There are those who will say 140 bucks is quite a bit to pay for something you can wire up in an hour or so, but those folks probably never saw my definition of "homebrew". For me, it was $140.00 well spent.

KI4HWJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2005 17:15 Send this review to a friend
Good for the $  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I hooked it up and it works great! Not much packet activity around my QTH. Be sure to hook up those jumpers right!!!