Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | MFJ-1279 Ultimate Sound Card Interface Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1279 Ultimate Sound Card Interface
MFJ-1279 Ultimate Sound Card Interface Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $$139.00
Description: Sound card interface
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1279 Ultimate Sound Card Interface.

K8JS Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2004 17:51 Send this review to a friend
MF-1279 Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Interface: MFJ-1279
Software: MixW 2.11
Rig: Yaesu FT-1000MP
PC: IBM 390X (Celron 400, Win2000PRO)
All functions as specified, inckuding the MFJ-1279 interface.
What more can I say?

(The MFJ-1279 replaced a RigBlaster Plus.)
---John

WA4ET Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2003 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Works good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I orderd it from AES and received it 2 days later. I Hooked it up and it worked just fine. Comes with everything you need, unlike the 464 I just reviewed, which is VERY nice.

The only problem, and this is not much of one, is that my radio was not listed. That was odd, because a TS850 was an estreamly proplar radio. I also noticed my NEW 746pro, or the 756 was not listed either.

THis may pose a problem to those not techicaly inclinded, as many hams this days dont know on what side of a schematic to look on, much less what it may be telling them, but a little common since can go a long way here.

Since similar radios use similar mics, in my case a TS440 was listed, so I used that setting which works just fine in my case.

Most manufactures make just one or two desk mics for their radios, so a mic that works on one radio, should work on another, but this may NOT always be the case.

Anyway, I have work several rtty and psk contacts. It removed all HUM or feedback I was recieving from my makeshift setup and I have no complants

DAvid

WB0IQT Rating: 4/5 Apr 4, 2003 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Worth the wait  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this unit and after waiting 2 months, I finally found one locally. The manual lists several popular rigs and the internal jumper settings used to program the cable connectors. It took some time for me to figure out how to set the jumpers for my radio, but it can be done for any radio - a great plus. The unit smelled like burned resistors before it was powered up, but it works flawlessly. I use it with PSK and with SSTV and am very happy with its performance. It just sets there and does its job. The quality of the silkscreening on the cabinet is not the best, but is typical of most MFJ units of any type that I have seen. As mentioned in the ads, it is complete with all needed cables and a wall-wart power supply. Internal construction is mostly surface mount components, as I recall anyway. The board is of high quality and the layout appears neat. Would I buy one if this one was just a loaner to me. YES, without a doubt.

KO4QC Rating: 0/5 Feb 24, 2003 22:48 Send this review to a friend
BAD!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought new @ appx 10am Saturday....after much trouble/headache got it working 'marginally'...distorted audio into the rig,worked at lower power but not at anything over 25 watts out....ringing sound out of ext spkr jack....keying the mic in 'bypass mode' caused an appx 50w carrier..on SSB!!!....went to bed after 2-3 poor connects on 20 mtrs....Sunday morning there was no audio into the rig....tried for several hours to find problem...NADA.....called the tech support # and,you guessed it...call back M-F etc...called Monday morning...waited for appx 1 minute and tech answered...after a very reasonable Q&A session,he recomended it be sent back to him...they are sending UPS to pick it up and paying for S&H....I will post the results of the 'second try' when I get the unit back....:>)
Oh yes...my experience is considerable with this type product,TNCs etc...worked PSK31 previously with 'home brew' interface that worked great...all I really wanted was the 'Contest Voice Keyer' feature....

KM9E Rating: 1/5 Nov 20, 2002 01:35 Send this review to a friend
MFJ as they say  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it new at Ft Wayne, IN Hamfest from new dealer. Once unpacked, I found ample cables & installation instructions were acceptable. Was able to connect w/TS-2000 w/o difficulty per instructions. Once I plugged 8-pin cable intomike jack of TS-2000, it began to scan upwards. Re-read & rechecked all cables per TS-2000 manual & MFJ manual (TS-2000 not listed)w/o resolve to problem. Went to web site for support ... EMAIL us & we'll get back! Software is nothing more than demo programs for the most part, But it is suggested that you buy one of two programs ($150 & $200) to get full "working versions" of software. As far as neatness of construction, DC power jack in not soldered flat to board & machining of box of poor quality.

On the positive side, lots of neat features, inputs & outputs to with which to make connections. Interior LED's help troubleshoot serial port lines. The money-back guarantee is the best part of this unit! Thank you Roger @ R & L Electronics ... Your no hassle returns are teriffic! Sorry, that's all the good I can come up with after 24 hours of ownership.

Buy the Rigblaster Plus, great software, many less cables, excellent support (web-based & phone), QUALITY construction, & great people with which to do bussiness. For $139, you cannot go wrong with the Rigblaster Plus. Stay away from "Mighty Fine Junk" (MFJ), as it nearly always lives up to it's reputation! Richard Viehe, KM9E, Indpls, IN