Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | BB3 by Nott Ltd Help

BB3 by Nott Ltd Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$335
Description: SPECIFICATIONS

Frequency Range ........................ 3 To 30 Mhz. Continuous
Motor ....................................................... 20 in/oz 130 RPM
Shipping Weight .......................................... Approx 11 Lbs.
Length Extended .......................... 9.75 Ft. With 63 In. Whip
Diameter ................................................... Mast 2.13 Inches
Weather Jacket .............................. 2.70 Inches White PVC*
Coil Travel ............................................................ 19 Inches
Coil Spacing ............................................... 8 Turns Per Inch
Power Handling .................................................... 400 Watts
More info: http://www.nottltd.com

You can write your own review of the BB3 by Nott Ltd.

VE3EQP Rating: 4/5 Feb 1, 2006 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Easily repairable! Good unit!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna for over 6 years and it only failed once a few years back once when the coil wouldn't move upwards. The center aluminum disk had stripped it's threads - BUT I was easily able to drill out the center and install a replaceable STEEL T-nut with 3 ss screws (1/4 X 20 threaded rod!).
However, lately, the motor drive failed trying to move the coil up. I took it apart again - the original "Black and Decker" gears were totally dry and had started to stall the motor. This was NOT a fault of the manufacturer, Nott (Pun - sort of!)!
I have a new Skil Screwdriver to replace the original gearmotor.
However, I am VERY pleased that ALL of the other components of the antenna, except the beryllium copper fingers, which are not that hard to replace, are easily available for replacement. This antenna does not use 'special' parts that can't be obtained, except from the original maker.
It sounds like I am 'always' having problems, but that is not true. I live in Canada, north of Toronto and winter in Florida, on the coast. My antenna is subject to a lot of salt and corrosion. I normally routinely take it apart every 2 years for lube and cleaning. This Nott BB-3 is good in my books because I can easily replace ANY of the pieces that can go bad!
I did get the Chrome plated version, and I use various upper whips, depending on how I'm travelling!.
If you can find a used unit for sale at a good price - GO FOR IT!
There's nothing in that antenna that can't be fixed, AND it works as good as any Screwdriver Antenna!

W6RCW Rating: 0/5 May 22, 2005 16:06 Send this review to a friend
very poor luck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
About 5 years ago I bought a Nott BB-3 for use as a fixed antenna. From the word go it was very slow and a strain on the motor going up, going down was OK. After having the antenna for about a month it was getting very difficult to move the antenna up and finally while moving up it just died. Sent it back to Nott and they informed me that it was filled with copper filings FROM OVER USE???? I advised Nott that I did not want the antenna back and Please refund my $300 dollars. They advised that they do not refund and sent it back by UPS which I refused. $300 down the tube. I can't even begin to understand all the FIVE reviews. I now have a REAL antenna, Hi-Q 4/80 RT. See hiqantennas.com
Thanks, RC w6rcw

KU4AB Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2004 19:49 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I stumbled upon this antenna used at a hamfest and although I hadn't really thought much about a screwdriver for HF mobile I did have a DX-70 and a 706mk2g so I did some trading and took it home.
I mounted it on a bracket off the back of my toolbox on the pickup and tuned it up.. WOW !!
I'd run Hustlers and Hamsticks and others but this thing beats everything I've run all to pieces.. its strong both physically and electrically and I get GREAT reports..
Attaboys to the designers at Nott ltd
... 73's phil

YY5OIH Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2003 23:04 Send this review to a friend
More than 120 worked  Time owned: more than 12 months
I hv. one BB3 since 1996, I used it with a FT-900AT on my old T. Tercel. It worked really fine. Im not a great Dxer, But I have worked more than 120 countrys "only mobil", if fact I haved no radio at home.
The RULE on my mobil was very simple "if I can heart it, I can work it". In 40 Mts it work so fine that I win a reputation as the best mobile in Venezuela.
Most of time, on great pileups, any band below 80, I simple said "YY mobil" to break the pile up.

One year ago I buy a new car, and also new rig, the FT100D with the atas-100. There is no way to compare the atas with the BB3, the atas-100 works, the BB3 Works Hard !!!. Was not nice pass from "Sure I can work it" to "Pray to work it".

The BB3 was so robust I did a lot of experiments with it, from whips to capacitance hats passin from radial, etc. I also use the BB3 for portable, just removing from the car and "planting" the antenna on a litlle pole.

Many of the experiments with the BB3 help me to improve the atas-100 instalation.

Now the BB3 and the FT-900 are at home, I used it for "provisional" antenna, but it work so fine that I will improve the instalation with a ground plane to use the BB3 as the main antenna.

K7MH Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2003 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Numero Uno Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a BB3 several years now. Got one when they first came out by TJ Antennas. Back then only $185!! I have used it on several long trips and nothing beats it! I would not hesitate to buy another one at the current price. I have been a ham since 1970 and this is one of the few ham items I have bought that truely exceeded my expectations. It is the single most awesome ham radio item I ever bought. How slick it is to be mobile when it is pouring down rain and change freq. and even bands all you want never have to stop and change antenna taps, or, tune a stinger! I shortened my whip some to bring 10 meters into resonance and can still use 75 phone just fine! If you live in an apartment or have restrictions, you can mount it on your car or truck and run a control cable and coax into the house or apartment and get on the air on ANY BAND YOU WANT! You will be suprised how well it works! I had a friend that made a floor mount for one inside his condo and had a good time with it!

K1WWI Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2002 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Success with this antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased this antenna at a hamfest a few months ago. The antenna looked well made with a chrome plated bottom tube. The ham from whom I bought it did not have any paperwork other than some copies of web site info. Called the company who were most helpful and received a manual at no charge in a few days. I have mounted the BB3C on a home brew tilt over mount on my F-150. Rather than using the whip length specified in the manual I decided to experiment with 66" in hopes that it would load on six meters as well. It does. I have been using this antenna with both an FT-817 and an IC-706MKIIG. Signal reports on all bands from 80 and up have been remarkable. With the "odd" whip lenght 10 meters loads at about the same position as 80. Pretty much as the manual suggests. I have had a ball with the BB3 working DX as well as local 75 meter nets. I am thrilled that I found this antenna and don't quite understand why I don't hear more of them. I guess that they don't advertise as much as the others. All in all a great antenna for the investment.