Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-2330A Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-2330A
Icom IC-2330A Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1020
Description: 45W 2m / 25W 222MHz mobile FM transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/support/archive/amateur/ic-2330a.html

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-2330A.

K4IED Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2017 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was searching for a 220 rig and was nearly ready to purchase the Alinco DR-235 when I stumbled onto this little icom on feebay. I say little because it is indeed a small form factor. I did a quick google search and found 2 reviews, then search YouTube and not a single video of it. So I decided to take a chance and made an offer and ended up buying it and I'm so glad I did. I was a little worried, and still am, since this radio is 20+ years old, but so far it has been an excellent rig. It's rated for 5 & 10 watts on low & medium for both bands, and hi power is rated at 25 watts on 220, 45 watts on 2 meters. I am seeing pretty close to the rated output on the 2 meter side but on 220 mine is showing 35+ watts.

I guess the main thing I love about the rig is that anyone can swipe their card and have a new Alinco DR-235 in a couple days, but these little radios are fairly rare, can do everything the Alinco can, plus it's a dual band to boot!

I don't really have any dislikes about the radio but if I were forced to come up with something I suppose I would say I wish you could enter the frequency directly with the DTMF mic, but considering it's age, I'm not gonna knock it for not having that capability.

I have since made a brief overview video of the rig which is on YouTube. I can't imagine someone paying a grand for this rig back in it's day, but I'd gladly buy one for the same price of a new Alinco, but that's just me. If you happen to stumble onto one of these jewels that isn't tore up and doesn't cost a finger and a foot, don't hesitate to scoop it up!

KG6BRG Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2012 16:26 Send this review to a friend
neat combination  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked this radio up for $50.00. I was looking for a 220 MHz mobile and thought the 2 meter addition would be handy. I don't care for 440 MHz much. It had a bad solder joint on the 2 meter squelch side and the lamps were bad. Fixed those issues and its been rock solid since then. It's got some "patina", but for the money it is a fine radio. Kg6brg.

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2002 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Small, easy to operate, sounds good, no intermod so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I rarely write a review about a rig I haven't had for long, but I've been absolutely thrilled with the Icom IC-2330A I've recently put in my car. I had planned on buying a brand new 2m/70cm mobile rig but saw this one at a hamfest and I prefer 1.35m (222-225 MHz), so...

What I like: It's small. It fit's neatly into the console of my Ford Escape. It only has one menu. Most of the functionality is in dual function buttons that are clearly labelled on the front of the rig. The display is bright and clear. I get good transmit audio reports and the receive audio is surprisingly full from the internal speaker and just beautiful on an external speaker. 18 memories per band is very adequate for me. It's easy to program. It has separate volume and squelch controls for each band and you can monitor the two simultaneously. Best of all, so far, no intermod, which is a very pleasant surprise. Separate antenna inputs for each band.

What I don't like: Nothing at all.

Icom had an insanely high price on this radio in 1995. Of course, they didn't sell many. Pity. They are now reasonable on the used market and are a wonderful way to get on 222.