Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Ten-Tec 1203/239 300w Dummy Load Kit Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec 1203/239 300w Dummy Load Kit
Ten-Tec 1203/239 300w Dummy Load Kit Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: A 50w/50-ohm non-inductive dummy load kit. The resultant dummy load can handle 300w for 30 seconds, 100w for 3 minutes, and 60w indefinitely. Assembly takes less than an hour.
More info: http://www.tentec.com/Tk1203.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec 1203/239 300w Dummy Load Kit.

VR2XMC Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2002 05:24 Send this review to a friend
an interesting project  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built this kit 3 years ago and it serves me well. The trick is to ensure that the brass conductor is straight and shortest. The power rating is better than specified. I recommend this kit.

Johnny VR2XMC

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2002 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Nice little project  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had my Ten Tec 300w dummy load long enough that I've forgotten the details of its construction--although I do remember that it was a bit tricky mechanically. I'll give it a "5" because any construction inconveniences weren't so bad as to cause me to remember them, and it works just fine.

This kind of kit is perfect if you hanker to put something together but don't have a lot of time to devote to kit building. It is basically a mechanical kit, though.

KD7KGX Rating: 4/5 Nov 22, 2002 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Great value, pain to build  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a dummy load for my further radio hacking adventures (aligning/building/testing/etc.), but didn't want to spend a lot of money for something simple that wouldn't be used all that much.

I toyed with the idea of buying a bunch of 10w 100-ohm resisters and making up my own dummy load, but by the time I factored in cost of parts (resistors, PL-259, enclosure) it was a wash... and why not go with something that has been around and has worked for years?

Everything was easy about this kit... with one exception. Buying was easy thru the Ten-Tec website. The instruction manual is clear and consise, although not fancy. The parts all look to be of reasonably good quality. The design and assembly is simple and proceeds quickly... except for that exception. The finished product is functional and attractive in a utilitarian way, and looks and feels strong enough to drive a truck over.

My only gripe, and it is what makes this review a '4' instead of a '5', is that the two screws used to clamp the brass contacts on either end of the 50-ohm resistor are 1/4" long, and they should be 1/2" long. The shorter screws maybe save a penny on the total cost-of-goods for this kit, but add about 20 minutes to the build time because you have to fight, and I mean FIGHT! to get those #$@*% clamps on! You need three hands and a vise!

Actually... it took me a little over 90 minutes to build this kit. About an hour of that time was spent fighting to get the clamps secured with the screws. I believe that this kit could be completed in 30 to 45 minutes if the #$@% screws were a little longer.

Ten-Tec, change two screws from 1/4" to 1/2" (or even 3/8") and you've taken half the assembly time away... and you will earn a '5' from other reviewers.