Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Edek Electronics Torus-Tuner Loop Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for Edek Electronics Torus-Tuner Loop Antennas
Edek Electronics Torus-Tuner Loop Antennas Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: Portable Loop Antennas for LW/MW/SW Listening
More info: http://www.torustuner.com

You can write your own review of the Edek Electronics Torus-Tuner Loop Antennas.

KC0EKQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2017 23:33 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know this is a 15 year old review 'thread' but I hadn't seen the Torus tuner in the review list until just now.

I got to know Ed through shortwave forums way back when, and I eventually purchased his HF tuner, the 16" model mentioned in the previous review.

I've used it many times in the lonnnng years I've owned it. It works very well, still.

It's built strong and sleek, a very small footprint on an elegant wooden base making it easy to rotate on a lazy susan or similar.

I used the 3/32" to 1/8" lead in/jumper cable Ed supplied. The output jack of the loop is 3/32", to keep the slim elegance of the design; an 1/8" jack would have bulked up the tuning/hook up portion of the loop, and noticeably.

It covers the majority of shortwave bands in the 3 - 30 MHz range, not quite getting all the way to 3 or 30 but switchable between lower bands and upper bands, with a bit of frequency overlap in the middle of the bands.

By itself, plugged into any of my more modern portable radios, it always peaked signals better than any radio's built-in whip, and is certainly even more useful in that it can be rotated to null out any noise or unwanted signals. The directionality is most pronounced at the bottom of the bands, losing most of its directional oomph by about 10 MHz or so. But that's only in nulling and rotation --the loop is consistently sensitive across its tuning range.

Ed (K3FDY but I am pretty sure SK now, rest in peace) made a fantastic product line of loop antennas from MW through 30 MHz for many years, and then the designs were built by TorusTuner, which seems to be a dead site now.

Anyway, I just saw the product in the review list and it jogged my memory and I really wanted to let everyone know this guy was a good guy, and made a damned good antenna -- it's still works beautifully, and is bringing in a little music on 5085 as I type. :)

1AJM Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2002 01:59 Send this review to a friend
Great portable or around the house tabletop  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned Ed's 16" HF Torus-Tuner Loop for a couple of months now and thoroughly enjoy using it coupled to my Sangean ATS818. I also bought the antenna amplifier which really came into it's own when I took it on a camping trip to Table Mountain in Central Washington. I had virtually no noise and pulled in hard to get stations from the Middle East and Asia.

The Torus-Tuner is well made with an elegant appearance. Recently I purchased the optional 1/8' to PL-259 coupler to attach to my ICOM R75.

Ed provides excellent product support and has been a wealth of help for me with other projects and topics as well!

KG4RXW Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2002 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Unique LW/MW/SW Loop Antennas  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using Ed Wawzinski's (K3FDY) loop antennas since I read a review of his MW loop antenna at http://www.radiointel.com/review-edek.htm.

I use his 26" MW loop with a Crane CCRadioplus and a SW model with a Radio Shack DX-398. Both antennas make a remarkable improvement in reception and signal to noise levels.

The loops are portable, tunable, solidly constructed and pleasing to look at.

It is a pleasure to do business with Ed. He ships his antennas in rugged containers and is always happy to respond to e-mail or telephone questions/concerns.