Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | D-117/K4 Heavy Key "Chinese Army Key" Help

Reviews Summary for D-117/K4 Heavy Key "Chinese Army Key"
D-117/K4 Heavy Key  Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $75.00
Description: Telegraph Key, Heavy
More info: http://www.MorseX.com/pla

You can write your own review of the D-117/K4 Heavy Key "Chinese Army Key".

K1ZJH Rating: 3/5 Jan 20, 2016 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Quality control is the concern  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a very nice key with great potential. I have to be honest, this key may not live up to it's potential as received!! There are two major flaws that you might experience. If it wasn't for these flaws this key would be a solid 4.2 on the ratings scale. That isn't bad, but to be honest I have to compare hand keys to my Kent straight keys, and others which are true 4.5 rating or better.

First problem is the spring tension, which is a well know problem, with various fixes noted by earlier reviewers.

Second problem, which I experienced, was that the key base wanted to rock when being used. The metal base was WARPED! I had to remove the base, and use a large vise and framing hammer to straighten out the cast metal base. Not that the base is hidden beneath the fancy chrome cover! Removing six screws releases the base (chrome cover, with the cast metal base beneath.)

Once the spring tension was addressed, by removing a few turns, and the base hammered to being as flush as possible, the key was elevated to an at least a 4 on the eHam scale. Now, a 4 is NOT a bad review!!! There are many hand keys that are more precisely engineered and that may feel better to your fist. I am happy with the outcome for the K4, but I am disappointed that I had to expend effort to modify manufacturing over sites or sloppiness. This can be a decent key, with a good feel, but you may be a bit disappointed with one that wasn't representative of the best of the litter.

My gold standard is the Kent KT-1, just for some comparison.

K8RXB Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2015 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Good key for British (European) style sending  Time owned: more than 12 months
As an addition to my review of my K-5 key posted in January of 2015, I would add that the key works very well for both American and British (European) style of sending. I have now totally converted to the British style and find this key to be rock solid at the edge of my desk when used in this manner. While I do at times look at a Kent or Begali Blade, this key serves my purposes very well at this time. Whiie the K-5 may no longer be available, the K-4 with silver contacts is still available from Morse Express.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2015 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Key For The Price !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Terrific key and with my arthritic hands, it is very comfortable especially since I hate keyers. I have a Vibroplex Bug, but don't use it much.

The only bad things I can say about the key is if you use it with a cathode keyed boat anchor, the contact point is mounted on a chrome metal plate atop an insulator and with cathode keying, it bites you! ;-)

I put a small coating of black liquid tape on it to eliminate that problem. The other complaint I had was the cable with the RCA phone plug on it is flimsy. I replaced it with a nice rugged black coaxial cable and chrome plated 1/4" phone jack.

Reliability, hand comfort, weight, and general feel is terrific. Great key!

Bill, K1FPV

K8RXB Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2015 06:53 Send this review to a friend
A fine key at a great price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have used my K5 from Morse Express for a few months and find to to be excellent. The key arrived quickly, and like many others, I found the spring to be a bit tight. After carefully removing the spring and compressing it in a vice for about 20 minutes, the action seemed just right to me. I would recommend the K5 to anyone looking for a great straight key at an attractive price. I would also recommend Morse Express as a fine company.

N7SCC Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2013 13:05 Send this review to a friend
K-4 "Chinese Army Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent Stright Key! Paid 69.95 dollars plus shipping from Milestone Technologies, USA. Better deal and quality than E-Bay purchase. This Key is a "5". It's heavy and well built. Choice of Brass or Silver. Even through the pressure spring is very tight-- this key is the best at sending CW that I've owned. I agree with another reviewer that said, "Get one while you can". Supplied with a 1/4 phone male plug; the only negative I can see with this key is the 3' cord is not shielded-- I haven't had any problem--but, don't let that keep you from purchasing this key! I will purchase another Silver K-4- don't worry- the pressure return spring can be adjusted; but, I'll only adjust mine a sight bit. This key is a great value; heavy and actually well made, full of Chinese history, includes the Navy Knob, heavy cord; this Key's quality is not cheap! For the price, "Get one while you can." Thank You, Milestone Technologies.

W8IJN Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 08:07 Send this review to a friend
My Favorite MilSurp Key  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have long wondered about these Chinese keys. They're available all over the web from various sources but the price, well, let's be real: I'm not reallly that interested in a key that costs me as much as an two-bander HT.

Then, one day out of straight-up goofiness, I pulled a winning eBay bid for a complete Chinese military surplus station from a fellow in Canada. Included in that set (which was two very heavy boxes full of all kinds of Maoist swag) was a D-117 Morse key, documented & approved by the Central Committee some time around 1966.

I discovered immediately that the D-117 is lower to the table top than many of my other military surplus keys and because the finger-grippin' parts at the end of the key are big, round & massive, a person like me, with essential tremor, can control the key better, even to the point of making straight key CW fun again. (For keyer/paddle CW, I use a Begali Simplex, maybe the best paddle on the planet.) I can sit at the key for quite a long time (for folks with ET that can be 15 minutes or 5, which def takes the fun out of it.) And I can get by sending at reasonable clips (13-18 wpm on a guess).

I was so impressed with the D-117 that I bought two more, one of which sits with the "real station" (the Icom stuff &c), replacing the JRC KY-3A that I've used along with a British WWII marine key for nearly 40 years now.

In all, it's a fine key, probably made by someone who was hungry & probably overworked in horrible conditions (during the Cultural Revolution). I think of that often as I consider the work that went into the D-117: all the chrome plated parts, the metal & machining, the plastic insulator block, the screws & threads & knurled nuts & all.

Whoever built this key deserves a hug. And to know that this old gringo is not mindless of the way this D-117 got here. And it's a good key too.

K3HVG Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2012 03:21 Send this review to a friend
A fine straight key, indeed.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a number of these keys, received as part of the 102E radio sets I've bought from Red Star. As has been noted, these early K4 keys are very nice and constructed well and were manufactured in the 1960's. I have had to do the spring mod as I did not (apparently) receive spare springs with my various 102E systems. One thing I note is that all come with the chrome base but the plastic key body may be either black or an off-white color.
The PL-55 plug generally must be burnished/cleaned with Scotch-Brite or Brasso. No issues whatever and when bought singly are a bargain. I cannot speak for the ones mfg in the 1990's, however.

KT4H Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2011 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
You get what you pay for but this one is a good deal if you get it new for around $40-45 including shipping. I did not like mine at first. The finish is only so-so and, like many others have stated, the spring is way too stiff. However, after shortening the spring to the point where the set screw needs to be used to add tension, the action is excellent. It now has a great feel. I rated it based on what you get for the money, and this one seems to be an excellent deal.

AD8B Rating: 4/5 Nov 30, 2009 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Replace the cable  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a followup to an earlier comment.

My new rig started locking up when using an amp after connecting the K4. A quick check found the supplied cable is not shielded.

I'm still happy with the mechanics of the key.

DV1UBY Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2009 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Morse Key!  Time owned: more than 12 months
These Chinese Military Heavy-duty Morse key is a great addition to your shack. I have 2 Chinese Military Heavy-duty Morse key in use right now, I bought it brand new in Hong Kong, it has a silver contact, it has brownish-red heavy duty plastic knob, heavy duty spring, chrome finish base, and does not skid. It's really heavy and nice to use. The quality is good and as a traditional Morse key user, I recommend this one. Nice appearance. Also, checked the enclosed manual and it says : Date of Manufacturing: 1954 :D