Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | CODEMASTER V Help

Reviews Summary for CODEMASTER V
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 2.3/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: Morse code training software
More info: http://www.MorseX.com

You can write your own review of the CODEMASTER V.

NZ7C Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2002 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent - NO problems!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My own experience with this program is different than the previous two reviewers so I'll share my impressions to help the reader make his own decision. First, as a relative newcomer to cw (been using about 2 years), I believe that the only way to really learn is by jumping in there with live QSO's. My FISTS Club mentor gave me that advise and it is the best advice I ever received about cw. Prior to that I tried numerous programs. When I got to Codemaster I quit searching for more because I thought it was excellent. I run it on a new laptop which uses XP and have no problem with sound and did not have to do anything to the laptop. The approach the program uses to teaching cw is excellent and quite flexible. It also has a cw "game" on it which can become very addictive. Frankly, other than the fact that it looks/is dated (because it is DOS) the program performs its intended function very well. It's sold through Morse Express. I've bought many items through Morse Express and always had impecable service and feedback. Well...that's my 2 cents worth! 73/NZ7C

K7JIM Rating: 1/5 Nov 26, 2002 22:35 Send this review to a friend
I have to agree with AD5JC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
AD5JC pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you have a real old computer that runs in Dos you may like it. I run XP and ran into the same problems as AD5JC. I returned the program and to their credit I received a full refund including shipping .

Jim K7Jim

AD5JC Rating: 1/5 Nov 26, 2002 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Save your money!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Better pass on this one guys. They have a good idea but need to update their program to more modern computers. If you own a computer with a sound card and Windows XP good luck. This is truly a program designed with DOS in mind and it's had no luck with an upgrade attempt. I got it loaded but the only sound I get is from within the computer and not from the speakers and what I do get is barely audible. They include some directions that require you to go inside your computer and clip the speaker wires to install a potentiometer across the speaker leads. Like I'm going to chop up a $2500 dollar computer to try and run a $30 program. I seems to me that if every other piece of software I've ever owned works fine with my speakers that it wouldn't require major reconstruction for this one. And to top it all off when the program starts to run it locks up and you have to turn off the computer to get out of it. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall with no luck. I asked for my money back but as of now have received no response of any kind so I assume that means tough luck. I have the W5YI program now and it works fine for me. I would recommend any other over this one.