Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Davis Vantage Pro (wired) Help

Reviews Summary for Davis Vantage Pro (wired)
Davis Vantage Pro (wired) Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $495.00
Description: The latest in weather technology! Our Vantage Pro weather stations offer forecasting, on-screen graphing, and much more. Quick view icons show the forecast at a glance—sunny, partly sunny, cloudy, rain or snow—while a moving ticker-tape display gives more details.
More info: http://www.davisnet.com

You can write your own review of the Davis Vantage Pro (wired).

W2GJW Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2009 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Up 7 years before any problems showed up  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had my cabled version of the Davis VP1 in operation since early 2002. Never experienced a bit of trouble with it until just recently when I noticed the anemometer was been having some issues. Looks to be attributed to the notorious sticking reed relay problem. I'm not complaining about this, as that is to be expected for so many years of continuous operation. I will replace the anemometer sensor with a new one and it will probably last me another 2-3 years.

This has to be the best weather station available today. Update times are generally 2-3 seconds, features optional PC interface and is available in a wireless model too. The VP2 has since replaced this older model and I've also read good reviews about it. I would not recommend any other station but the Davis. Their support is always there should you need it.

ON4JZ Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2006 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have now my Weather station running since Feb 2005.
It just works great and is always online with live data.

Have a look at www.on4jz.be/Weather/ON4JZ.htm

73's de Joe ON4JZ / OP4K

KD7OED Rating: 4/5 Oct 9, 2005 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Rugged and Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, it was expensive (especially for the additional WeatherLink Software package), but like most other things you get what you pay for. The unit is mounted on some Army surplus aluminim masts that rest on the ground and are fastened to the facia board, with the unit at the top of the mast sections about 5 feet above the roof line. It has been very rugged and reliable during winter ice and snow, spring windstorms (at 50+ mph), and summer monsoon thunder and lightning storms. As other writers have mentioned, both the documentation and display are superb, and there has been no problem with RF interference. The unit appears to be very rugged and I expect it will last for many years.

The reasons I did not rate the unit as a five are because of the Weatherlink software (rather than the unit itself).

1. I bought the USB version thinking that it would be the most trouble-free connection, but the software often would not recognize the weather station when running on a Windows 2000 computer (even though all other USB devices work flawlessly on that box). Eventually solved the problem by shifting to an XP box, but not before losing several weeks of data because I couldn't dowload it.

2. There should be some way to use the console to display how much free space remains in the plug-in data module. Because this feature is lacking, the only way to ensure that data isn't lost is to download it every 45 days or so.

3. Considering the price of this module, there no excuse for not including substantially more memory with the plug-in unit. Memory is cheap, and the unit should be able to store at least three months of data regardless of the sampling rate.

K4EQQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2004 06:01 Send this review to a friend
Superb Quality & Operation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For the price, I was hesitant to spend this much on a weather station. I enjoy APRS, so the addition of a WX station was a natural next step. As usual, I read the Eham.net reviews and decided the extra $ spent on the Vantage Pro cabled version (RF Immunity was important) was worth the money.

I mounted the wind unit and the ISS (temp, humidity, rain) unit in less than ideal spots, so I recognize the readings may be off a little. Since I live in a CCR controlled subdivision, anything mounted external to the house requires "approval."

I'm pleased with the display unit (uses a power cube and will accept "C" batteries also as backup). The display is large, the digits / symbols are clear and easily seen from a distance. The display has LED backlighting (4 LEDS, 1 in each corner) and is very visible in a dimly lit area.

I purchased the Weather Link Software (Ver 5.2) ($165 more) which includes the "data logger" - a gadget that outputs the display's data to a PC serial port. All cabling and adapters are included. After loading the software, everything worked as expected. The screen display options are good, as is the quality of the images / graphics.

I learned after purchase of the Weather LInk software that another competitive product is also available - Weather Display (www.weather-display.com @ $70). Both packages will interface to NOAA, APRS, and the Weather Underground (www.wunderground.com) and all options are built in. The WX Dispaly package has more features and fully supports the Davis Vantage Pro and Pro Plus. The outputs to NOAA, APRS, and WX Underground simply upload your station's weather data for presentation on the internet. NOAA also, has the Citizen's Weather Observer (CWO) program. See NOAA website for loads of details.

I've had the system working for about 2 mos. (started just before hurricane season) as of now and everything works great, although it's a lot of money. The key for me, was RF immunity (the reason I purchased the cabled version vs. the wireless version) and that's exactly what I received (FT-1000MP MkV @ 200 watts and a stealth dipole).

Also, the Davis unit has geater accuracy and wider range in most measurement parameters than competitive systems in the same price range.

Documentation for the Davis products (hardware and software) is excellent as is the Tech. Support line - I called with questions, not problems and encountered almost no hold time, and a very knowledgable technician.

So all in all I'm happy with this once in a lifetime purchase, but it's expensive.

G4AON Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2004 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Seems totally immune to RF at 100 W level  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having used an Oregon WM 918 since 1999, I was loathed to spend significantly more for a weather station where it was difficult to install the sensors without picking up RF from my HF antenna which shares the same support pole. After 5 years use the anemometer of the '918 started playing up, so having read the favourable reviews on these pages, I decided to buy a Vantage Pro complete with the WeatherLink module and software.

The installation was quite easy, I quickly fired up the rig with 100 Watts of HF SSB and was impressed to find no spurious readings and that was without any additional ferrite rings and with the WeatherLink's RS232 port connected to my shack computer. The feed point of the horizontally polarised antenna is only some six inches from the anemometer. Equally on receive I couldn't hear any noise from the weather station.

The instructions seem very easy to follow and I now upload via the WeatherLink software to both my own web pages and to the Weatherunderground site.

The "ISS" sensor unit is mounted on a 3 inch square wooden pole sunk some two feet into the ground, this is the mimimum sized pole to mount the ISS onto as it's quite large and includes the "gallon bucket sized" rain gauge. The anemometer is mounted on a pole at 30 feet and required an extension cable to reach the junction box on the sensor unit. The Davis supplied extension cable(s) include a joining kit with detailed instructions for splicing and waterproofing the cables. All the cables are of the four core flat "telephone" variety with male RJ11 plugs on each end, so if a cable becomes damaged it can be easily and cheaply replaced.

VE3YF Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2004 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Shack Addition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the cabled version on advice from both the retailer and Davis. I did not want to be concerned about RF interference or loss of signal from the ISS. I installed all the sensors on the tower at the 25' level, and have found that all readings are pretty much the same as our local weather station. I have discovered that the recommendations are to mount the wind sensor as high as possible and the temp/humidity sensors at about 6 feet off the ground, and should preferably out of direct sunlight, however that is not practical here and I will leave the ISS at the 25' level. The kit included more than enough cable to separate all the sensors. The LCD console is great. It shows a complete display for all sensors and a graph of the day for one selected sensor. The console keeps a history and can also display the highs and lows for either the day, month or year. The system displays numerical speed but an arrow displays wind direction to the nearest 30 degrees (N, NE, E, etc.) A computer interface is not standard, but available as an option which I also purchased to keep my webpage up to date.

Overall, I have found this to be a great piece of equipment.

W7KKK Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2004 23:03 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the wireless version of the 6150 (C), or cabled. It comes with 100 feet of wire to make the connection from the weather suite or pod to the display. It also has 40 foot of wire from the wind vane to the pod, should you want the wind vane higher than you want to put the pod.

I got the wireless to avoid any conflicts with any other frequencies that I might be using. I also thought that we get a lot of lightning here in SE AZ during the monsoon season and I worried about the extra electronics in the pod that might have a problem. I also thought that perhaps it would save me money in the long run as batteries and solar cells to charge them are not forever. Less maintenance? Oh well, it was a little cheaper than the wireless.

The display is large and pretty easy to read. It offers you an offset to calibrate it for variances. For instance, I have it located with my ham station (so we can talk about the WX HI HI), but the temperature in that corner is warmer with all the equipment on than that of the center of the room buy about 2.2 degrees. So, I adjust the temperature to read what the center of the room reads.

Learning to use the graph function and understanding what you are seeing is about like learning to program a modern 2 meter radio or better. Davis is very helpful and a real person answers the phone and gives you prompt
attention. But the basic display tells you anything you could want to know about what is happening inside and out and it’s pretty straight forward.

I sent emails to several hams that had these as well as the La Crosse. The Davis appeared to be the hands down winner even at the increased cost.

TREX Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2004 14:44 Send this review to a friend
so far- so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had a Weather Monitor II for 12 years and has worked great until the wind gave up last year. Got this one on ebay along with the Weather Link for Windows and saved $300. After comparing both for accuracy I was very impressed with the closeness of the readings and loved the new data that records on my computer. Sometime I may even link it to a future web site. Got the wired so I could compare apples to apples and to avoid possible RF interference with ham radio and my wireless security camera system.

9K2HN Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2003 02:58 Send this review to a friend
I like it very much  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this weather station for over a year and it is working great, I installed it in the roof and the console is in the shack (in the basement) and from down there it is connected to my website (www.9k2hn.com). now where ever I'm in thew world I know what is the weather condition in my qth.

K4NJK Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2002 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Expensive, but worth it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I finally took the plunge and ordered a weather station. I did not want to be concerned about the possibility of RF interference or loss of signal from the instruments so I ordered the cabled version. Initially I installed all the sensors just above the roof on a 5 foot mast. The temperature readings where 10 degress too high during the day. I discovered that the recommendations are to mount the wind sensor as high as possible and the rain/temp/humidity sensors about 6 feet off the ground, preferably out of direct sunlight. (Most of the Davis advertisting materials show all the sensors mounted together.) The kit included more than enough cable to seperate the sensors.

The LCD console is wonderful. It shows a complete display for all sensors and a graph of the day for one selected sensor. The console keeps a history and can also display the highs and lows for either the day, month or year. The only item missing from the display is the ability to display the wind speed and numerical wind direction at the same time. The system displays numerical speed but an arrow displays wind direction to the nearest 30 degrees (N, NE, E, etc.) A computer interface is not standard, but available as an option.

Overall, a great piece of equipment.