Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | Honda EU2000i Help

Reviews Summary for Honda EU2000i
Honda EU2000i Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$????
Description: 2kw/1.6kw continous 120v light weight generator. Inverter technology for a pure sine wave output. 55-59db noise level. 46lbs. dry weight 1.1 gal gas tank
More info: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gen.htm

You can write your own review of the Honda EU2000i.

N2EHG Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2017 10:30 Send this review to a friend
great product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Didn't realize how good this was until I got one for myself and used it, was great. Always starts easy, doesn't make any rf almost wisper quiet good on gas safe for electronics and easy to pick up thou I did buy the wheel caddy for it.

N0EVH Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2013 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Great design!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
-Built like a swiss watch that runs on gasoline
-Pull starts without any grunting even with this old shoulder
-Weight is less than a type 27 deep cycle battery
-Maintenance a breeze, filters, plug, oil etc.
-Prep for storage such as draining the carb is a snap

This thing is built for emergency ops, Field Days and camping! No doubt it will outlast this op and be passed on to the gkids.

W2TXB Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2013 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent - Worth its Weight in Gold  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This generator was purchased last summer as an addition to my 7500-watt Generac. I needed something more portable that I could just toss into the Jeep and take it with me. Received it and had it up and running in almost no time, and it has run perfectly ever since. There is nothing quite like having adequate portable power for various tools, and this generator more than meets my needs. It is smooth, quiet, economical, and easy to maintain... a typical Honda product.

KB2FCV Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2013 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Hurricane Sandy update  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wanted to add some of my observations of this generator during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. The fuel efficiency of this generator is truly a wonderful thing. With 5 gallons I can go 40+ hours of non-stop running (I had several 5 gallon cans..). The big bargain 3kw, 5kw, etc generators.. those drink gas at 5 gallons every eight hours. I think I had to stand in a longer gas line once to fill up and the single most biggest complaint I heard while standing in line was fuel inneficiency of other larger gasoline generators. Some of those folks were standing the the gas lines every day or every other day for a few hours each day. This or the larger honda eu3000i is an excellent choice.

KG4NVV Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2011 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent lightweight generator!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simply put, this is a great generator! It has the following virtues: portable, very fuel efficient, durable (I've heard reports of folks running these things over 10,000 hours with no problems), very quiet and easy to use. I have had no problems with RFI during use on Field Day or at other times with my ham equipment. This genny saved our food during the tornadoes that struck the South in late April 2011 and supplied us with electricity during the subsequent four day power outage.

A few recommendations: I recommend you use only 89 octane or greater fuel, preferably with no ethanol if such fuel is available in your area. Be sure to apply fuel stabilizer (PRI-G is what I use) to any and all fuel you use with this generator (or any other small engine equipment, for that matter). If you are storing the unit for longer than a month, siphon out the gas and drain the carburetor (it's pretty easy with the convenient drain tube that runs on the side of the unit). Use synthetic oil (Amsoil, Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, etc.).

N1AUP Rating: 4/5 Aug 27, 2011 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Only two things I hate about this unit.  Time owned: more than 12 months
There are two things I hate about this unit. First, changing the engine oil requires you to pick up and tip the unit to get the oil out. There is a ramp to direct the oil into a pan, but it's almost impossible to do this without spilling oil, or drizzling it into the base of the unit.

Second, to get at the fuel filter, you have to disassemble a lot of the front panel and the case to get at the darn thing.

Otherwise, quiet, reliable and easily portable. Impressive engineering.

KE5DFR Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2011 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Great generator  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the EU2000i Companion, the EU2000i, parallel kit and 6 gallon extended run tank. So far, all I have run it on is the RV. Easily starts the 15000btuh A/C with no trouble.

I have about 2 hours on them so far, but they start easily and even the wife can get them running.

I look forward to running the radio from the trailer on field day.

Ken
KE5DFR

W8NLZ Rating: 4/5 Nov 30, 2010 17:25 Send this review to a friend
Field Man's Dream - with RFI precautions  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My primary use for the EU2000i is field operation. It's light enough I can even haul it up mountain trails in a wheeled cart. It's very quiet, a gas mizer, and plenty of Kw for my gear. But initially it put S7 noise on 80, 40, and 20 meters. My fix was to put multiturn suppressor cores on ALL DC leads into my Kenwood TX-480HX and the LDG autotuner as well as the DC leads out of both Samlex 1223 12VDC power supplies. Now the noise is S1. Tried aluminum foil around the spark plug, but it had no effect. The RFI seems to be coming out of the inverter and a long extension cord helps it to radiate. But, mechanically, the EU2000i is solid and a sound buy.

W3PH Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2010 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Does the job, quietly  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for several years and keep it outside in a plastic tub along with extension cords. Got it to run the essentials when the power is off - wood pellet stove, some lights, ham gear - and I haven't had any problems. Haven't drawn enough current to challenge it so I don't know what happens under heavy load.

Starts easily as long as you exercise it now and then - like any gasoline engine, you can't put it away & forget about it for a year or two and expect it to start easily (you can guess how I know this). I put stabilizer in the gas, change the oil once a year, and run it for 20 minutes every 6-8 weeks.

KB0QCL Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2010 09:39 Send this review to a friend
Worth every dollar  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned, operated, and maintained many portable and larger stationary generators over the years, but this is by and far my favorite portable. Out of the 3KW, 6KW, and 1.25KW portables, the EU2000i is my favorite for two reasons. Light weight, and quiet operation. Due to a permanate injury, I simply no longer can lug a 3 or 6KW standard generator anymore by myself. I can't use what I can't carry! This was the primary determining factor in my purchase. As for noise, the EU2000i really is amazingly quiet enough to operate 5 feet away.

It will surge well beyond 2000 watts for motor starting, but expect deep voltage sags as it brings large motor loads up to speed. The momentum of constant speed 3600 RPM machines, in my opinion, seem to deal with large motor starting loads better. If the load is too large, and the overload lasts too long, the EU2000i just simply shuts down the output, with no apparent harm to the generator. Simply toggle the on off switch to reset. It is not the end all be all generator, however, and may not be for everyone.

The first draw back is it's limited output. Coming from my experience with larger machines that literally can power anything that you can plug in to them, Iíve become spoiled. Even though the EU2000i has two 20 amp outlets, you only get 16 amps total. I've measured 1900 continuous watts out of the Eu2000i, and at that output the engine becomes noisy. Even then, itís still not *nearly* as loud or obnoxious as a 3600 RPM 3KW machine. Once you start flirting with 2000 watts or more continuous, it will eventually just shut down the output. Itís 1600 continuos, 2000 peak, and they mean it. I mention this because I am spoiled by a 6KW machine that could do a whole house, surging to well beyond 9KW, with no problems. (other than noise, weight, and a high fuel demand!)

Another minor drawback is that Ecco mode may not work well depending on load. If you want to run constant load such as some lights, great. Add in a high efficiency washing machine, (or CW operation perhaps) though, and Ecco mode will constantly be changing speed, and the voltage will constantly be sagging as the machine adjusts to the load. I ran in to this problem with some computers, lights, and a high efficiency washing machine, that toggled between 200-800 watts every few seconds. Just as the RPMs would drop off, the washer would turn the drum again, and bog down the generator. Turning off Ecco mode cured this.

If you want to run your whole house, furnace, all lights, fridge, freezers, sump and well pumps, microwave, etc, all at once, the Eu2000i is not for you. Get a bigger machine. If you want to run a few lights, and one major appliance at a time, (fridge, OR freezer, OR furnace, OR window AC unit) and want a machine that you can carry, the Eu2000i is a smart choice.