Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | Honda EU2000i Help

Reviews Summary for Honda EU2000i
Honda EU2000i Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$????
Description: 2kw/1.6kw continous 120v light weight generator. Inverter technology for a pure sine wave output. 55-59db noise level. 46lbs. dry weight 1.1 gal gas tank
More info: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gen.htm

You can write your own review of the Honda EU2000i.

W7GMC Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2009 20:41 Send this review to a friend
MUST HAVE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Background on my generator experience. Started with an old, I mean old onan 1.8k gen. I started every time with one pull, but man was it load and heavy. Moved up to a Generac 4k contractor gen. Wow, lots of power, heavy and LOUD! I had to leave the gen in the bed of my truck and move the truck at least 20 feet from the camper to make it bearable to listen to. Then I saw a demo of the EU2000i. It was a hard purchase to spend $999 locally, but WOW! This baby purrs. I can run two campers, both occupants use CPAP, furnace and DTV with a 13in standard TV and 19" lcd. Now remember, the gen has a 1.1 gallon tank. I usually boondock camp at an altitude of 3,700 feet. This gen will run for nearly 10 hrs! The thing gets a little bit more noise when ya fire up the microwave. I've had this gen now for about 3 yrs now and no problems. I would recommend a thinner oil when in colder environment (below 30f) as it takes several pull/stall cycles until the oil freely starts moving and the gen oil sensor stops killing the gen. It will not run a AC, but paired up, should do it fine. I'm going to do a Extended run fuel tank to allow the thing to run like 70hrs without a refuel. Mayberrys sells these babies online as an ARRL Special for $879 shipped to the door.

I NEVER REGRETTED THE PURCHASE! Can't complain for a 48lb gen thats easy to move and store in the camper!

KF6HQC Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2008 22:32 Send this review to a friend
Not one problem, ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my eu2Ki for four years now and I have never had a problem with it ever. It has been to four field days now with me and provided RFI quiet perfect power each time. I have noticed a birdie or two on a couple of bands like 17 meters but it has never been a problem for me as the birdies are quite narrow. I have used it on dozens of camping trips to the mountains @ 8000 feet to the beach at sea level and it has always started on the first or second easy pull. And because it uses a fuel pump rather than gravity feed, it has run for days on my 6 gallon plastic boat tank and a modified honda gas cap (purchased seperatly then modified). I'll never be without it. It even runs my 4500 BTU mini air conditioner in my Chalet trailer flawlessly. It has never failed me yet. One of the best investments I have made.

K2GW Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2008 09:30 Send this review to a friend
170,000 QSO's !  Time owned: more than 12 months
As an FYI, the two week VP6DX dxpedition to Ducie Island made over 170,000 contacts using the 240 VAC big brother inverter of the EU2000i. They had no RF noise on their deserted island from them as they grounded the generators. Here's a quote from the VP6DX website:

Honda EM65is and EM30is inverter supply, gasoline generators. The operators report that the generators offer "100 percent reliability to date. The inverter system has been very tolerant of the widely varying loads presented to the generators as multiple operating positions switch between transmit (high power consumption) and receive (low power consumption), a vast improvement over previous gasoline generator designs."

W6LAR Rating: 2/5 Aug 13, 2007 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Going back to dealer.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Took my new eu2000 out camping this past weekend. I ran my IC718 while powering the travel trailer with the Honda. The 718 on battery power. I was disappointed to find a noise floor of S5 - S9 while the Honda was hooked up. As a test I ran the Honda alone, no noise. I plugged in a 25 ft power cord and laid it on the ground going nowhere. Noise at S5 - S9. Seems my "new" genny is a trash transmitter. I tried numerous grounding but no change. Got home tonight and backed up my findings. Will put a scope on it tomorrow night. I will take a picture and let the dealer hash it out. I am really bummed on this one. I expected better from Honda.

W5HLM Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2007 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommended!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these little generators, and have several friends who've also purchased them. Though the initial investment is rather significant, you certainly get what you pay for with Honda! I've run them in parallel on several occasions and they perform as advertised. One of the two was loaded on a private plane after Hurricane Katrina and provided continuous power for communications and lighting for a solid week. A fellow ham used one on a missionary assignment and said he ran it non-stop for three weeks! I know I sound like an advertisement, but for power you can count on, the EU2000i is the way to go!

KQ6EA Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2007 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Small, Quiet, and Economical  Time owned: more than 12 months
Going on my 2nd Field Day with this generator. It's small, quiet, and very economical. Ran it almost all weekend last year in Econo Mode on a little over ONE tank of gas! I had people ask me if it was running, because you couldn't hear it over the din of the Coleman and Sears generators running nearby. NO RFI that I could detect. After unpacking it and checking the oil, it started new out-of-the-box on the second pull. Started on the first pull every time after that. My son's been using it for camping since last Field Day, and has had absolutely no problems with it.
Great little generator, and I'm quite happy with it.

K1AHL Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2007 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Superb Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have had a Honda EM400 since the 1970's, and it has always performed flawlessly, starts on the first light pull and just purrs happily along. However 300 to 400 watts is not a 'large' amount of power these days, so, it was decided to acquire an additional unit. We looked at many but have been so satisfied with the Honda brand, workmanship and excellent reliability that it made sense to buy the EU 2000, which we did. This is a superb unit, very well engineered. The EU 2000 also starts very easily, is very quiet, and when you then switch in the eco-throttle, it too just makes a low purr! In any emergency situation availability of fuel may be critical, and the Honda is very efficient, it barely sips fuel, and even 5 or 10 gallons will last a long time. (Gas stations may be out of power, thus no easy availability.) The EU 2000 is a purchase that one can be proud of days, weeks and years after the price is forgotten...a thing of quality is a joy forever! K1AHL.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2006 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Runs hair dryer!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Believe it or not, spent the $1,000 buying this unit so xyl could run her 1500-watt hair dryer whilst RV camping!! Really....

Anyway, enuff whinning.....outstanding gas generator, works as advertised and always easy starting!!

Cheers All....

NA6DF Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2006 16:28 Send this review to a friend
love 'em!  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have had 2 of the EU2000i's at work here at a radio station cluster that I engineer for. I send them out with promotions people and DJ's for radio station appearances and remote broadcasts who use and abuse them, week after week. After having the 2 for several years, we have had zero issues. Great easy to start and reliable Honda engines cannot be beat. We have not seen any fuel leakage issues, or anything else wrong, for that matter.

WI7B Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2006 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Great with no RFI  Time owned: more than 12 months

I've had the EU2000i for over a year. I use it for Field Day, portable communnications, and as a standby power. It stays in the SUV. In 'econo mode" it appears extremely efficint AND quiet. It's inverter has never created any form of hash or other RFI, even when sitting with a couple yards of the transceiver/antenna system.

If you keep it in reserve, as I do, its important to add a small amount of stabilizer to the 1 gallon of gas in its tank to avoid sludge build-up. Sweet piece of machinery!

---* Ken