Reviews Categories | Ham Work Bench Tools & Test Equipment | Hakko 936 ESD Safe Temp Controlled Soldering Station Help

Reviews Summary for Hakko 936 ESD Safe Temp Controlled Soldering Station
Hakko 936 ESD Safe Temp Controlled Soldering Station Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $75 to 90
Description: Temperature controlled, 400-900 degrees F, fully adjustable and lockable temperature adjustment. 60W with separate iron holder, cleaning sponge, and long iron cord. Lots of additional tips and sizes. Also available in non-ESD safe style.
More info: http://www.hakkousa.com

You can write your own review of the Hakko 936 ESD Safe Temp Controlled Soldering Station.

N6MQD Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2005 20:28 Send this review to a friend
Hakko vs. Xytronic - More Info  Time owned: more than 12 months
The recent comparison of Hakko to the Xytronic system does make a good point about the heating element manufacturer being the same between the two, but what is missed is the technology inside the station that controls the switching of the heating element, and the quality of the components used to make the control board in the Hakko 936.

Longer tip life is subjective. I highly recommend calling Hakko and asking for their report called 'Under the Plating'. This really shows what tip life is all about, and will help everyone maximize the life of their tips.

Personally, I've used the hakko 937-5 (digital version of the 936-12) and have used Weller, Metcal, and Pace and nothing compares to the cost, performance, and support that Hakko provides.

SOLDERME Rating: 4/5 Jul 7, 2005 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Hakko vs. Xytronic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned several stations including the Hakko 936 and 937-12. For the money I didn't think their was anything better. After some careful review and some suggestions from co-workers I found Xytronic. If you do a comparison most of the equipment is similar. Xytronic has the +-3 deg temperature stability and not only standard tips but long life tips as well. I was also informed that the Xytronic ceramic stations ie 136ESD and 137ESD (as well as some others) take the same style tips as the Hakko 936 and 937. After calling Xytronic USA I found out that Xytronic and Hakko purchase the heating element from the same manufacturer. I took a closer look at the prices of the Xytronic and found a dramatic difference in price. I purchased the 137ESD 60 watt ceramic station and it works like a champ. I can use the hakko tips I have in stock and switch over to their tips later. Hakko is a great station but I have found my best bang for the buck is with Xytronic.

I purchased my Xytronic 137esd which is the same as the hakko 937-12 for $99.95 from assemblyoutfitters.com . Not bad considering the tips run you about $5.00ea. Extended life for $7.00. I have been using the Xytronic for the past year and it is doing everything the hakko has done and has virtually paid for itself with the tip pricing.

SOLDERINGGEEK Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2004 23:35 Send this review to a friend
Comparison to weller  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own both a Weller WES50/WES51 and a hakko 936, both of which I got from hmcelectronics.com ~ they seemed to have a good price and I have never heard of techequip.net. Anyway on a side by side comparison the 936 unit blows the Weller out of the water. The tip temp recovery is far better due to the ceramic heat technology that Hakko likes to use over the wire wound heating elements the Weller insist on using and then have to be replaced every 3 months. The tip selection I found at on the HMC site was about the same as the Weller but the quality on the Hakko tips was far higher even though they are about a dollar each more I found they were outlasting 2-3 times the Weller. CAUTION I tried a brand called plato which I found at a Contact East ; they cost less but the quality was poor and they did not last as long for the extra 75 cents best buy the Geniune Hakko.

Overall the Hakko unit seems to be of a better construction and for $95.00 well worth it.

SolderingGeek

KG4STP Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2004 01:11 Send this review to a friend
Disregard Anonymous  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Somehow I botched my post. This iron is a definite "5" even at half again the price if not double the price.

KA7GKN Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2003 22:23 Send this review to a friend
nicely balanced maintains constant temperature  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, it was a sad day in the shack, my Weller WTCPN solder station of 1977 vintage finally gave it up. Locally it was difficult to locate parts or tips. I was told since Cooper tools absorbed Weller the replacement heaters are expensive and not reliable...I laind the Weller to rest.

I now have as suggested by a friend the Hakko 936-ESD Initially sort of pricey I also bought 5 additional tips. you have +30 to select from!
total cost was around 130 bucks but if it runs 25-30 years a good investment considering the way things are made today.

the unit has nice weight, it's quiet no rfi, the handle is what's impresive. compared to my weller, this thing is thinner, lighter in weight and balanced much better. the cord is a good length and the connector is a screw type to keep it from falling out. now I know there are two schools of thought on connectors, do you want the isron to just pull out or do you want to yank the whole thing on the floor? I prefer the screw type connector

Installing tips are easy, temperature is constant and quite accurate, and intial heat up time is rapid with minimal overshoot.

ok a few short comings:
1. aside from the heater blinking light an on'off indicator on the front would be nice.
2. some sort of storage holder within the soldering iron portion to hold additional tips safely and store the locking allen wrench would also be nice.

I use some neodymium magnet discs on both sides of the aluminum solder holder and a small [tiny] plastic parts zip-bag. the solder tips and wrench are in the bacg and clunk they jump onto the magnet with no desire to fall off.

in summary:
An excellent iron, well built, good temperature control, and a good value for the serious user of soldering devices.

regards, Marty
ka7gkn@arrl.net

VK2ACD Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2003 18:57 Send this review to a friend
First class unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
At $230 AUD it was a fair investment, but never regretted. Great feel to the iron, first class manual with full info on maintenance and serviceability. Excellent range of tips. Works superbly.

KC1MK Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2003 21:04 Send this review to a friend
My favorite soldering station  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Hakko 936 for about a year and a half, and it always works well. Heats up quickly, maintains the selected temperature well, has a good selection of tips available, and I like the ergonomics. I have used several different soldering stations over the years, and this is my favorite.

WA4FOM Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2003 22:49 Send this review to a friend
If you solder, buy it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have little to add beyond the comments from
previous reviews. Buy it. Yes, tequipment.net
offers excellent prices on this and other Hakko
units.

K9FTB Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2002 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm building a K2 and needed a good soldering station, rather than the Weller "gun" I still have from high school (now that's old!).

After reading loads of comments on the Elecraft reflector I determined that an ESD safe unit, with good temp control, and lots of soldering tip options would be worth the money. I expected a unit in the range of $125 or so. Pleasantly, I found reference to Hakko, a competitor of Weller and others, selling for about $72, with a 1.5mm tip, and ESD safe to boot (see www.tequipment.net - no I have no connection with them).

I'm raally impressed with how quickly the tip comes up to temperature. There is an LED to show heat on / off cycling and a main power switch on the side. The temp control is labeled in degrees F & C. The iron itself is very light, has a long cord (bench use only), and is easy to handle.

There is an outboard iron holder to place the iron into a safe position while it's on but not in use. There is a cleaning sponge in front of the iron and the entire "holder" unit is heavy enough so it doesn't slide around on the bench.

I was impressed with the vast varity of tips, which are about $5 each.

I'd recommend this unit and I'd certainly buy it again.