Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Davis Weather Monitor II Complete Station Help

Reviews Summary for Davis Weather Monitor II Complete Station
Davis Weather Monitor II Complete Station Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $395
Description: Davis Weather Instruments complete weather station. Measures wind speed and direction, rainfall, inside and outside temp/humidity, barometric pressure, dewpoint.
More info: http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=7440CS

You can write your own review of the Davis Weather Monitor II Complete Station.

ZS1DFR Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2011 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Very good after 10 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi - let me give you my opinion from South Africa. I've had this unit on the roof for ten years now, complete with rain sensor, and datalogger to run Wx reports on APRS. It has worked flawlessly all this time, without even a hiccup. Some birds must have flown by and dropped some seeds into the rain guage, because I once found the rain not being measured. Climbing up there, (25 feet), I found the drain hole of the rain bucket neatly blocked by a small seed :-) So I covered the mouth of the bucket with some metal screening from a fly-screen - how ridiculous is that?! BTW, I run the console off a 7.5Ah alarm battery with a small charger, and it survives even the worst power outages we ever have.

One fault: no outside humidity sensor included in the sensor unit on the roof, and the extra unit far too expensive to justify the purchase!

One problem: the oft-reported glitch caused by RF desensing the display and PC records. I've often needed to edit the occasional reading because HF caused totally ridiculous measurments to be stored.

These two minor problems are the reason I did not give the kit a 5!

Otherwise, I can strongly recommend this one, and, if you can get a second-hand one for a good price, this item is far better than the La Crosse, Oregon Scientific, and Peet Bros equivalents. I'm about to upgrade to the Vantage Vue, having read all the reviews here. Backup here in SA is as good as in the USA:-)

73 Dave ZS1DFR

WB3IGR Rating: 4/5 Nov 21, 2008 17:59 Send this review to a friend
4 out 5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I upgraded from a Wizard III to a Monitor II complete station. I even bought the "protected junction box" and grounded it well. I still get into it with my HF radio station (6-160 meters). The temp readings go erratic and of course they are stored into memory. So I just turn the station off while operating HF! Out side of the RF problem, the WMII is a great station and I would recomend it. Sorry that Davis discontinued the unit. Some dealers still have them for sale, that's how i got mine.

N7TIM Rating: 3/5 Jan 30, 2007 03:15 Send this review to a friend
Service could be better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I received the Davis weather monitor II as a gift (nice gift)and was very satisfied for a few years. Then the anamometer died, so I contacted Davis Insturment via email.They (Davis) does not answer their emails or want to deal with problems. All I want to do is fix it or have it fixed. I guess they are only interested in sales of new complete new units?For the amount of money you pay for these things they should be repairable and serviceable.

KB1NHD Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 2006 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Great value  Time owned: months
I've had the Davis Monitor II in use for four years now. Before that, I have owned two WeatherWizards, one in use since 1996 and still working great. In addition, I have assisted in the installation and calibration of other Davis stations and I can't say enough good about the products. There simply is no other personal weather station in this price range that can compare, when accuracy, reliability and product support are considered. My

W6LBV Rating: 4/5 May 13, 2005 21:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance, but incompatible with RF!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the complete Weather Monitor II package, including all common measurement modules, new in April, 2001 and added the optional data logger in July of that year. The combined unit has been in continuous service since then automatically recording to a PC the principal weather variables on an hourly basis.

I chose the wired version of the Weather Monitor rather than the wireless model because I did not want extraneous RF in the area potentially complicating receiving on VHF/UHF and because I could easily run the conductors from the exterior transducers into my ham shack/office through an existing cable port entrance.

The main console sits on my computer desktop, and it is operated by the (supplied) wall wart power supply. The exterior temperature/humidity module is attached to the west side of my house, just below the eaves, and the anemometer/wind direction and rain gauges are mounted to a short mast on the roof.

During the past four years I have had no equipment failures, no components needing replacement, no software glitches, no missed data. The station has been highly reliable, with one large exception noted below.

Accuracy in weather records is important. I do not have the means to calibrate every transducer, but I have been able to make some informal observations. The exterior temperature tracks within about 2 degrees F with other thermometers I have available. The barometer tracks very closely with the broadcast ATIS altimeter settings from an airport about 3 miles from my house, even over the course of many months. I have not reset it for several years. Rain gauge readings are consistent with Weather Service reports for my general area, although local geographical variations in rainfall make exact comparison impossible. Wind speed readings, again subject to local geography, seem to be reasonable. Finally, relative humidity readings are very likely to be low; even on a rainy or foggy day the RH never tops 85%. A correction factor for this could be applied in the recording software, but I have not done so.

The only significant ... and persistent ... problem I have had with the Weather Monitor II is its well known susceptibility to RF. In particular, HF transmissions (160 - 10 meters) cause highly spurious recorded temperatures for the period of time the transmitters are operational. The effects seem to occur with about 100 watts of RF power on these bands. At power levels well below 100 watts on HF and at all VHF/UHF power levels there seem to be no problems. The problems also affect other recorded weather parameters derived from temperature readings as well (such as the temperature-humidity index).

After completing an on-air session I have to go into the recorded data on my PC and edit out the spurious readings, typically by interpolating the temperatures expected during the session based on the hourly temperature readings surrounding the transmitting time period.

I have tried everything I know to reduce or eliminate this problem. I operated the console from a battery rather than the a.c. power lines. I shielded the case of the console (there is no provision for grounding it). I added pairs of torroidal chokes to every set of conductors in the system. I purchased and installed the Davis grounded filter board for the set of conductors (and then was told after the fact, by a Davis factory technician, that it would not solve the problem, in spite of the Davis catalog description indicating that it was designed for this purpose). Nothing has worked, and the problem remains.

I have two areas still to pursue. Some further testing indicates that the thermistor input amplifiers in the console are the susceptible element, as the console seemed to react to RF even with no exterior thermistor attached to it. It may be that the amplifiers were not adequately bypassed for RF (this is a conjecture, since no schematic diagrams are furnished with the system). The second area involves grounding. The filter board (along with everything else in the station) is grounded to the station�s single point exterior earth ground system. I have noticed that, immediately after a heavy, soaking rain, most if not all of the RF susceptibility of the thermistors has been eliminated. The susceptibility returns over the next several days as the ground dries. My soil has much clay and rock, and it does not provide a high conductivity medium to facilitate good grounding. An improved ground system for my station may help.

Thus it may be that Weather Monitor II users with sufficiently good earth ground systems (and large separation distances between the unit and transmitting antennas) may escape this curse. I am still experimenting.

This is a serious flaw in this otherwise excellent system, and it resulted in a 4 rating rather than the 5 that it should have earned. Davis (and other manufacturers as well) needs to engineer its products for survival and for accurate operation in high RF environments. Environmental RF levels in the country and the world are increasing -- not decreasing -- with passing time.

CLEBOT Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2004 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up my Weather Monitor II in 2000 while I was living down in Florida. It weathered the heat and humidity of the tropical environment and tropical storms superbly. In 2003, I moved to Rhode Island, which is where the station really proved its mettle. It has been at its current location for over a year now, and has been trouble-free through blizzards and wind storms. It has been a real trooper through all kinds of weather and has given me very few problems. Only problem I had was with the external humidity sensor corroding due to its proximity to the ocean. That problem was quickly and professionally handled by the staff at Davis. Also, due to the cold, dry New England air, my station suffered some static electricity damage, which was also expediently taken care of by the techs at Davis. I now have the protected sensor junction box and am back recording weather data. I live within 12 miles of 3 airports and the NOAA weather station, and my data always tracks right along with the official stations.
Great job, Davis!

TREX Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2004 14:32 Send this review to a friend
sturdy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this in 1992 for my bait and tackle store and it has worked great ever since. I never got the software due to expense so I just kept paper records over the years. Once a power spike locked it up but Davis told me how to recover. It's been on a surge supressor ever since. Last year (11 yrs later) the wind spinner finally gave up and would only register 0 so I was forced to get the Vantage Pro system and software. Found it on ebay and saved about $300. I still use it to compare to the new system and both are in sync. except for the wind.

N8CDN Rating: 3/5 Nov 17, 2003 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Works OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the Weather Monitor II in November 2001 and have been generally pleased with it so far. My major complaint is the RF that gets into the unit. It is ok on 75m but the rest of the hf bands interfere even at QRP levels. This is very annoying. I really haven't tried troubleshooting yet but I am in the middle of upgrading the 12 volt power supply's to Power Pole connectors as well as intalling a new ground system. The only other problem I have is the outdoor wind sensor freezes up on rare occasions.

Terry N8CDN

KJ4I Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2003 10:53 Send this review to a friend
K4EKG  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Davis Wx Monitor 2 for about 2 years. I owned a Wx Wizzard 3 prior to the Monitor 2 and loved it. I read lots of reviews where hams were having lots of problems with rf inteference making the station almost completly useless. Needless to say one of them was me. I am limited on space and moving the sensors any distance away from the rf field is just not an option. But their is hope. I went to the local Radio Shack and purchased several rf ferrite chokes and placed them in various locations on the sensor lines and and with a combination of grounding I have had good results. It took a little tinkering. After 6 months of testing everything has worked perfect. No more rf inteference at all.. Even on hf with 100 watts right at the sensors.. No problems. This worked well for me. I would recommend this station to anyone but be prepared to have your work cut out for you if you are installing this station in a high rf inviroment especially hf. But with a little time, money and effort these problems can most likely be solved. Hopefully this can be of help to anyone having the same problems..

KB9URN Rating: 4/5 Nov 29, 2002 21:26 Send this review to a friend
KB9URN  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also have Monitor 2. It is a great set-up. I had a Weather Wizard for several years prior.Loved it!

However, when shopping for the M2, Davis left out that they do not have the new NWS formulas for wind chill and do not plan to upgrade it.
If I wanted current WC formula they wanted me to upgrade to the new Vantage Pro.They are planning on phasing out the M2's and Wizards, without that info.