Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Radio Shack Discone Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack Discone
Radio Shack Discone Reviews: 41 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $59.99
Description: Item # 20-043
Our best! Omnidirectional, rugged stainless steel construction, wide 25-1300MHz receive coverage. Also for transmitting on 50, 144, 220, 440, 900 and 1296MHz Ham bands. Resonator and tunable whip for best 50MHz performance. About 44" high, overall. Fits mast up to 1" in diameter. Accepts PL-259 connector.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack Discone.

MDNITERDER Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2012 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Bang For the Buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for over 8+ years, I have had this mounted on a 25ft mast on top of my roof for several 3+ years, when I took it down and moved I made a PVC base for portable use and I have disassembled and reassembled this antenna over 100+ times

I have had no issues, even on a simple PVC mount 6ft of the ground I get decent reception for being 6ft of the ground

I agree the radials should be solid but I'm not worried about it. I feel I am capable of replacing them if I need to with solid stainless rod.

I have had this thing disassembled all the way down to the main radial mount unbolted and torn down.

I would buy another one for portable and one for a permanent mount on my roof.

W9LGH Rating: 4/5 Sep 15, 2011 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Good multiband VHF antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a cost effective multiband VHF base antenna for the 6, 2 and 3/4 meter ham bands. As shipped, the unit resonates at around 127 MHz, so you have to trim the vertical radiator to get it up to 50.0 MHz. I straigntened out a old used coat hanger at first to get the correct wire length. That way I wouldn't regret cutting off too much length and over shooting the band with the actual element supplied. Soft steel also cuts easier than stainless. As shipped, the vertical element is approxmately 27 inches long. I had to trim off about 3 inched to get it to tune the 6 meter band. Tuning was done with a MFJ 469 HF/VHF antenna alalyser. Original tuning was done inside the house, then went outside to check it out at about 3 feet high. I cut the stainless steel element supplied a little longer than the coat hanger previously used and then raised the antenna onto a 10 foot high mast. It resonated at about 49.5 MHz. Cut off another 1/4 inch of wire and got it up to 50.2 MHz with a VSWR of 1.1:1. Checked the tuning over the 2 meter and 3/4 meter bands and got VSMR readings of 1.5:1 or better on both bands. Used Threadlocker fluid on all screws and nuts to keep fittings dry and tight. One nice thing about this product is that it is supplied with a few extra screws washers and nuts, in case you drop or otherwise lose some. Nice touch and user friendly. This is a nice antenna for checking out your multiband VHF/UHF radios and is advertised to work up to 1300 MHz.

KE4SWC Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2011 16:04 Send this review to a friend
good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the antenna for 12+ years and it would still be going if I hadn't destroyed it moving. I had it up about 30' and it was awesome scanner antenna.

For 2m, I worked repeaters 60mi away on 10w with decent SWR. When I finish getting my station set back up, I may purchase another as a quick back-up antenna.

One of the few things Rat Shack still sells that is worth a crap for the amateur market.

N5VJA Rating: 4/5 Mar 3, 2010 05:38 Send this review to a friend
Four Hurricanes, One broken radial, Works Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Florida can be hard on an antenna. It has been through four hurricanes over the nine years that I've had it. One radial did break off but it still works Great on 2 meter and 440 and as a scanner antenna!

CLEBOT Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2008 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Radio Shack Discone - 1, Hurricane Ike - 0.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Chalk up another victory for my cheap Radio Shack discone! During the 8 year course of ownership of this antenna, it has survived tropical storms and hurricanes in Florida, blizzards and 'noreasters in Rhode Island and most recently my little discone acheived another victory; surviving a direct hit from Hurricane Ike. I live in Conroe, TX, which saw the eye of Ike pass overhead. We only just now got power restored (7 days after landfall).
The antenna performed flawlessly. I used it to listen to local hams, SKYWARN, NOAA and even hooked it to my T.V. to watch the news on generator power.
The price of this antenna is such that if it did suffer damage, it is not too expensive to replace.
However, again, replacement is not necessary.
Take a look at the damage that Texas received and then consider that this antenna made it through unscathed. I have it mounted about 10' above my roof line.
I would definitely buy another when (or if!) the time comes that I need to replace it.

VE3MPY Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2007 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Great To Have  Time owned: more than 12 months
When you buy an antenna for just 59.99 like people say, you don't expect much. This antenna is wonderful in its performance. I have had for about 7 years and since I got a beam I decided to compare between the 2. Testing this antenna for 2 days in comparison with my Cushcraft A148-10S 10 elements Yagi, here are some of the results that I've got:

At 2PM using the disconne antenna from RS with 5 watts I could trigger a repeater at 91 miles from my shack (straight path). While using the Cushcraft I did with 4 watts. The signal strength on the beam was S-2 and S-5 with the pre-amp. With the discone the signal strength was 1 and with pre-amp were 4.

At 8PM on the same day, the same power was used but the signal got stronger to a S-5 and with the beam S-6. On a good day of propagation I had it with 9+20 and 9+30 with the beam.

The day after, the propagation was very good and I was able to trigger a repeater at 240miles from my shack (YES 240 MILES) using 50W. The beam was not pointing at it, so I could not test using the beam.

The discone antenna is at 30FT as oppose to the beam which is at 25FT and I am using 40FT of coax RG-213. The antenna is a little fragile I agree with the other, so what I suggest is to change the ground radial with stainless steel rods or aluminum and make threads on the ends, only if you lost your radials. And before screwing into the base insert some crazy glue or lock-tight. I guarantee that you will have no problems.

If you are planning to buy one donít change the radial just put crazy glue and you will be ok. Some of my radials broke and I only had 2 mm of thread left so I used crazy glue and had it up at about 40 ft. the antenna stayed all winter up during frost and I didnít loose any radials.

Since I plan to install now at 60FT I will change the radials to stainless and insert crazy clue or lock-tight so I donít have to worry about until I take it down.

Good luck.

PS: If changing radials make sure you have an SWR meter. You may need to trim a bit the radials, use the meter to optimize the SWR.

N5EAT Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2005 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Good compromise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like the performance of this antenna. I'm on my second one in 15 years. I will attest that the arms are brittle and will snap off with little provocation. The antenna functions well with a few missing arms, but more than 2 you really start to see degradation. I replaced my old broken one with a new one 2 years ago.

Also, as in a previous review, the swr on "50" is more near 48, but that's easily fixed. I just
had to loosen an allen screw and push the top stinger down an inch. It is perfectly matched
on 144 and 440.

Take care putting the antenna up, and you will probably like it.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2005 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, I got it up. This antenna is up only about 40 feet. It replaced a non-functional TV antenna on a small self-supporting tower at the new QTH.

I was a little concerned about comments concerning the 'quality' of this antenna.

No issues here! I purchased an M2 antenna for $350 which I can only discribe as the biggest POS to ever been slipped into a box! This RS antenna is an order of magnitude better than the vaulted M2 antenna!!!

This RS antenna, appears to be made of quality materials (I'm a retired PE) and is EXTREMELY easy to assemble (even at the top of the tower, which is where I built mine).

I got a chance to 'try it out' tonight, and the results are fantastic!!!

My MFJ 259B indicates it's resonance on 6 Meters is actually 47 MhZ. I should have trimmed the vertical whip, but my main interest with this antenna is the VHF bands for use with my R7000.

I fed the antenna with 9913 (weatherproofed at the connecter with Scotch electrical tape 'just in case'.

The MFJ 259B indicated a VERY low SWR on all bands above 50 MHz.

I'm able to hear repeaters all over the state that are not detectable on any other antenna I currently have........

Maybe I got 'an old one'? I don't care, because this antenna works!

If you can't put this antenna together, you need help !

BIG TIME!!!

ron

N4UE

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2005 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Great first impression!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was in the market for a Discone antenna. I was going to make one, since I have a machine shop. I started searching the WWW for different models and found that the Diamond has some good reviews.
I must admit that some of the reviews here for this RS antenna, had me concerned. I went to the local RS today, and they had a couple of these antennas. Althought the price was $69,99, I was VERY impressed with the quality. (Maybe I got an 'older' one?)

I paid $350+ for an M2 6m JHV and it is the biggest POS I have ever had the misfortune of buying! This RS antenna is extremely well made. All the hardware is SS and there are several extra pieces! Honestly, I couldn't make one for this price.

I will give another evaluation after I get it installed and test it with my MFJ259B and also with a variety of receivers and transmitters.

So far, so good!

ron

N4UE

K3GI Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2005 03:57 Send this review to a friend
Been up 10 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has been on my roof for about 10 years. No problems whatsoever. I use it for scanner monitoring. It has seen some duty as a transmitting antenna. It has no gain, but--hey--that's its design. Excellent for what it is.