Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Radio Shack Discone Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack Discone
Radio Shack Discone Reviews: 45 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $59.99
Description: Item # 20-043
Our best! Omnidirectional, rugged stainless steel construction, wide 25-1300MHz receive coverage. Also for transmitting on 50, 144, 220, 440, 900 and 1296MHz Ham bands. Resonator and tunable whip for best 50MHz performance. About 44" high, overall. Fits mast up to 1" in diameter. Accepts PL-259 connector.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack Discone.

N5EAT Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2005 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Good compromise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like the performance of this antenna. I'm on my second one in 15 years. I will attest that the arms are brittle and will snap off with little provocation. The antenna functions well with a few missing arms, but more than 2 you really start to see degradation. I replaced my old broken one with a new one 2 years ago.

Also, as in a previous review, the swr on "50" is more near 48, but that's easily fixed. I just
had to loosen an allen screw and push the top stinger down an inch. It is perfectly matched
on 144 and 440.

Take care putting the antenna up, and you will probably like it.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2005 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, I got it up. This antenna is up only about 40 feet. It replaced a non-functional TV antenna on a small self-supporting tower at the new QTH.

I was a little concerned about comments concerning the 'quality' of this antenna.

No issues here! I purchased an M2 antenna for $350 which I can only discribe as the biggest POS to ever been slipped into a box! This RS antenna is an order of magnitude better than the vaulted M2 antenna!!!

This RS antenna, appears to be made of quality materials (I'm a retired PE) and is EXTREMELY easy to assemble (even at the top of the tower, which is where I built mine).

I got a chance to 'try it out' tonight, and the results are fantastic!!!

My MFJ 259B indicates it's resonance on 6 Meters is actually 47 MhZ. I should have trimmed the vertical whip, but my main interest with this antenna is the VHF bands for use with my R7000.

I fed the antenna with 9913 (weatherproofed at the connecter with Scotch electrical tape 'just in case'.

The MFJ 259B indicated a VERY low SWR on all bands above 50 MHz.

I'm able to hear repeaters all over the state that are not detectable on any other antenna I currently have........

Maybe I got 'an old one'? I don't care, because this antenna works!

If you can't put this antenna together, you need help !

BIG TIME!!!

ron

N4UE

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2005 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Great first impression!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was in the market for a Discone antenna. I was going to make one, since I have a machine shop. I started searching the WWW for different models and found that the Diamond has some good reviews.
I must admit that some of the reviews here for this RS antenna, had me concerned. I went to the local RS today, and they had a couple of these antennas. Althought the price was $69,99, I was VERY impressed with the quality. (Maybe I got an 'older' one?)

I paid $350+ for an M2 6m JHV and it is the biggest POS I have ever had the misfortune of buying! This RS antenna is extremely well made. All the hardware is SS and there are several extra pieces! Honestly, I couldn't make one for this price.

I will give another evaluation after I get it installed and test it with my MFJ259B and also with a variety of receivers and transmitters.

So far, so good!

ron

N4UE

K3GI Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2005 03:57 Send this review to a friend
Been up 10 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has been on my roof for about 10 years. No problems whatsoever. I use it for scanner monitoring. It has seen some duty as a transmitting antenna. It has no gain, but--hey--that's its design. Excellent for what it is.

ALEX_NS6Y Rating: 0/5 Feb 14, 2005 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Piece of Junque!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OK folks this is what I think has happened: RS was probably selling one made by Diamond etc and WAS a good antenna. Maybe a year or two ago, they got a cheaper model - cheaper and junkier really in ONE area - the plastic part that seperates the top and bottom, that must be an insulator for it to work, and that's made of some very weak plastic in mine, that I got a year ago, and which BROKE IN HALF.

Heck I'm KEEPING the elements, they're very well made!

What does this mean to the antenna-buying public? What it seems to me to mean is, you might not want one of the new ones, but one of the older ones that was sold a few or several years ago, might just be a SUPER antenna!

All in all if I had to do it again I"d just have gotten the Diamond one.

KC2IGY Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2005 19:17 Send this review to a friend
5+ years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've has this antenna on my roof for over 5 years, and it's still in one piece. The anetnna has survived blizzards, ice storms, and 50+ MPH winds. Performance wise, it makes a great receiving/scanner antenna, and works very well for talking on FM repeaters.

K1CJS Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2005 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Good receiving antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one of the Radio Shack discone antennas for slightly over 3 years now. I use it for a portable workhorse antenna. I have put it together and taken it apart regularly for portable one and two day useage on the 6 meter, 2 meter and 70 cm. bands as well as use as a scanner antenna, and I have not had any trouble with the elements breaking or falling off.

I do agree that the elements could be better made, but the rolled stock used for the longer elements resist bending better than bar stock would. If bent to the extreme, both types will break.

It all comes down to this: you get what you pay for. If you want a stronger discone antenna, pay the difference and get the antenna from Diamond or another antenna manufacturer. The Radio Shack model is good for the money.

YEPSURE Rating: 3/5 Feb 14, 2005 10:35 Send this review to a friend
This IS a fragile antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yeah, don't listen to those of us who have put our discone's on a pole, totally isolated from falling branches, hurricanes, tornado's or whatever, yet still had the cheap 45 degree radial's break despite just sitting all by itself up in the air!

Those posts that say this is not a fragile antenna simply have not experienced the failures the rest of us have. The radial's are hollow, which is a big manufacturing mistake. The radial's have a habit of breaking off where the threaded stub mates with the radial. The Shack does this apparently to save money, which is well and good, but the fact remains that this antenna is FRAGILE, period.

If you haven't experienced the breakage I've described then consider yourself lucky. However, the rest of us haven't been "rough" with our antenna's as it has been implied (although some have noted accidents with them). Barring these accidents the antenna is cheaply made, and although more expensive, your money would be better spent purchasing the Diamond or Icom version, which is made with better materials. Having had both the Radio Shack model and the Diamond version, I can say with experience there is a quality difference between the two.

If you choose not to listen to those who have had breakage issues then you subject yourself to a very skewed reflection of the true quality of this product. If people only listen to one side of any issue regardless of good or bad then your just fooling yourself, plain & simple.

N4KMA Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2005 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mines for about 8 years or more. Never have had a problem with it.

N4VNV Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2005 08:13 Send this review to a friend
OLD MODEL IS GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
To follow-up my first posting of Oct 2003. Now it's Feb 2005, my R/S Discone is STILL GREAT! The problem seems to be the newer models are not built as well as the older ones like mine. Put it together over ten years ago.