Reviews Categories | Microphones | Electro Voice 664 Help

Reviews Summary for Electro Voice 664
Electro Voice 664 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $100 + used
Description: Vintage Dynamic Microphone, still a very good sounding mic
Big, shiny and heavy, a real hammer.

You can write your own review of the Electro Voice 664.

W6IEZ Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2013 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Colors & uses  Time owned: more than 12 months
This old bulletproof mike is great for the broadcast quality and "Network" sound with my Drake TR-7 on AM.It makes a good "Blackjack" and it's legal to carry it as a weapon without a concealed weapon permit.This mike also comes in three different colors.I would like to get the gold version and polished aluminum version next.It's the best of the 664-668 series for ham radio with switchable impedance and on/off switch
I like the mikes of the golden years of broadcasting and will probably get a "Birdcage" mike next.

K0SF Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2012 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Great mic with Yaesu Transceivers  Time owned: more than 12 months
While experimenting with many mics, I tried an Electro Voice 664 with my Yaesu FT-1000 MP MK V. It is now my standard mic. I consistently obtain "excellent audio" reports. I have compared the EV 664 with many other microphones, such as the Yaesu MD-200, an amplified D-104, Shure RE-20, and headsets. Another benefit is the EV 664's directional pattern really helps to reduce noise pick-up from my desktop amplifier.

In order to drive the Yaesu transceiver's 600 ohm input impedance, the EV 664 output should be wired for the 150 ohm (low impedance) connection.

The Yaesu FT-1000 MP transmitter tone setting (menu item 4-4) should be set to "1" or "3". Setting "1" is punchier and more effective in pile-ups or contesting, whereas "3" is better for rag chewing.

Setting the Yaesu mic tone is crucial, since the straight thru position "0" will sound mushy. I have my compression set between 5 and 10 dB. I believe that these settings are comparable to settings for other Yaesu transceivers.

Given that a EV 664 can be purchased for ~ $50 on EBAY, the EV 664 makes for quite an economical SSB audio improvement !

K0SF Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2012 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Great mic with Yaesu Transceivers  Time owned: more than 12 months

KG6PHS Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2011 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent (664A version)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used to own an original 664, but wanted a little smaller mike for my compact shack. The solution? The EV-664A, which is a smaller and later version of the original "Buchanan hammer". A beautiful looking and sounding mike, even if it doesn't quite have as much low-end response as the original.

The 664A also has a chromed zinc case, the on-off and dual impedance switch on the side (which can be re-wired as a PTT switch), and the same Variable-D acoustics as it's big brother.

Highly recommended!

WQ6X Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2011 21:20 Send this review to a friend
The EV-664 is GREAT!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought an EV-664 this year and really love it.
I used to drool over the 664 back in 1970, so when I saw one on QRZ.Com for $80 (w/o a stand) I couldn't resist. I bought the black Radio shack mic stand for the 664 and it looks GREAT!
I will be giving the 664 it's first contest workout this weekend in the November Sweepstakes. Look for superior audio from my Kenwood TS-450 and Icom 7000 operating as N6K.
Ron
WQ6X

KC0GSB Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2010 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Yes! Yes! Yes!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Am I lucky. I found one on EBay in perfect condition for $50. This is a great sounding and great looking microphone. My friend told me it was also good for protection when he played in bar bands in the 1960's. I can see why. It is built like a tank. I will never part with the 664. I would give up my PR-40 first. If you can get a working model for a good price you won't regret it. This is a classic mic that still out performs many, many newer ones. You will have to spend quite a few bucks to beat this microphone.

KA2EEV Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2008 13:34 Send this review to a friend
A CLASSIC BEAUTY WITH GREAT AUDIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 664 is one of those "oldies but goodies" that time has proven to be among one of the best microphones ever made. Its wide frequency response delivers nice smooth audio along with super clear articulation. This is truly a great all around mic that is hard to beat!

K6CT Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2007 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Look'n Good!  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a teenager in the 60s, I remember seeing the 664 advertised in QST but it was waaaay beyond my budget in those days. Finally got around to picking one up a couple of years ago and it sat in the closet until I was introduced to the W2IHY equalizer. Now it is plugged into the rig and I get great audio reports and it just looks "hot" sitting on the desk. An oldie but goodie. I do recall seeing the press conferences at the UN years ago when there were banks of them just sitting there. Nice product; plenty available on Ebay. You will not be disappointed.

KD2E Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2006 06:09 Send this review to a friend
A "must-have"  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes A Shure 444 will work great on your TR4, or C line...but compare that hunk of plastic to a 664, and you will see the light!
I found a bunch of the original bases, with the black PTT toggle switch on it as brand-new unsold stock. I attached my 664, and wired it up to my KWM2A. It works better than anything I've tried, and also great with the Drake stuff

KE6PID Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2006 21:41 Send this review to a friend
A n Odie Goodie!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a few Audio magazines dating back to 1965, these mics were heavily advertised back then, it’s been 41 years since these were the hot ticket; if you can find a clean example of one, buy it; you will not be disappointed. My example is a beautifully finished die cast satin chrome classic. They were also available in a non reflecting gray and (hold on!) a high luster gold! Depending on how you wire the connector (a screw lock Wirepro, (which is still available BTW)) you can have balanced low impedance or high impedance operation. This high impedance matches well to older classic rigs like my Collins 32S-3 and Globe King. The sound is quite robust, with a nice peak in the upper frequency range which provides beautiful vocal articulation. I get nothing but great audio reports, especially with the Globe King. Be certain the one you get hasn’t been taken apart, it has several small clear plastic “sound” tubes running around to various openings in the mic form, part of the directionalazation system. This was sold as a highly directional cardiod for PA use, but the mic was too good for just this and many found their way into commercial broadcast and amateur radio use.
If you have a classic rig and want a classic mic to go with it, this is the one. Five enthusiastic thumbs up for this classic microphone.