Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | Alpha 6 Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 6
Alpha 6 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $2,985
Description: Alpha 6 meter all mode legal limit amplifier
More info: http://www.rkrdesignsllc.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha 6.

K5MM Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2009 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Equipment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Alpha 6 in June 2003. My unit is serial #7. During a visit to Alpha in 2008 I was told less than 12 Alpha 6 units were manufactured however an exact number was not provided.

Operating the Alpha 6 is a pleasure. The unit tunes easily and puts out full power with about 20 watts of drive. The tube used in the Alpha 6 is a GU-91 Russian military tube that (I believe) dissipates approximately 2500 watts. Alpha assured me, prior to my order, they would not abandon the tube. Unfortunately the GU-91 together with the Svetlana civilian equivalent, 4CX1600B, became unobtainium not long after I purchased the amp. Alpha did not redesign the Alpha 6 for another tube and (I'm guessing) production of the Alpha 6 ceased within months of the delivery of my amp

I located and purchased a NOS 4CX1600B several years ago. However, the original GU-91 tube is so rugged I can't imagine ever having to replace it. I'd recommend this amp to anyone who can find one.

N3DG3 Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2008 05:41 Send this review to a friend
Truly One of a Kind  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a satisfied owner of an Alpha 87A HF amplifier for over a decade, I recognize the quality, reliability and value of amplifiers from Alpha Power. In 1998, Alpha Power purchased another premium quality amplifier designer in RF Concepts, supporting VHF & UHF. As a satisfied customer, I had called Alpha Power in 1999 and almost jokingly suggested and inquired that they develop and market a high power VHF sibling to the Alpha 87A. I was told that indeed, there was one under development and that it would support both 6 and 2 meters, which I had anticipated would replace my monoband VHF siblings, the Commander VHF-1200 for 6 Meters and Commander II for 2 Meters. In fact, I was even about ready to place my order well in advance.

After several delays, I was told that the design had evolved into an optimized monoband 6 Meter amplifier only, and that the 2 Meter amplifier was subsequently possible, but not likely. Indeed, I placed my order well in advance for what was dubbed the Alpha 6 and received the first unit of what became a Limited Edition of only a few as I understand it, in 2002. I had heard of one other Alpha 6 owner and even had an employee at Alpha Power offer to purchase mine given its extreme rareness as an extinct species. Might there be only a couple Alpha 6’s ???

Sharing True Alpha Power DNA just like the Alpha 87A for HF, the Alpha 6 is a far superior, highly commercial quality, high power tube amplifier of similar dimensions that runs cool and quiet while delivering superior results, power and duty-cycle compared to the Commander VHF-1200. As far as I am concerned, the only feature the Alpha 6 might lack as an “appliance” is Autotune like the Alpha 87A and 9500, but once she is adjusted, she is set across a wide spectrum and only requires like 10 Watts drive for optimum results.

My Alpha 6 has been most reliable, indeed achieves superior results and is truly a One of a Kind Collector’s Item & Extinct Species as I know of just one other one released that came off of the production run with mine being the first. I am still hopeful of perhaps a 2 Meter Alpha or perhaps even that Dualband 6 & 2 Meter Amplifier considered almost a decade ago and may replace my trusty Commander II, and in the meantime, I enjoy using my Ultra Rare Collector’s Item & Jewel, The Alpha 6, alongside my Alpha 87A.

N6PEQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2002 20:19 Send this review to a friend
It Puts Out!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned an Alpha 87A HF amplifier for several years now. Once I saw that Alpha was introducing a 6 meter amplifier, I eagerly placed an order for one. Since this was the first production run of the Alpha 6, it took several months before it was delivered. This was understandable, although I was anxious to receive the amp! The amplifier finally arrived and it is a dream. I does put out full legal limit, and is as beautifully crafted inside and out. It's essentially the same size as an Alpha 87A. The transmitted signal is extremely clean, and the amp runs nice and cool thanks to the factory supplied cooling fan. I highly recommend it!