Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | MacLoggerDX Help

Reviews Summary for MacLoggerDX
MacLoggerDX Reviews: 124 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $95.
Description: General-purpose logging software with interfaces to many radios, internet DXClusters, TNCs, and QRZ CD ROM database. Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.
More info: http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX.html

You can write your own review of the MacLoggerDX.

W9CN Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2014 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Great program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been running MacLoggerDX since 2006. Its a full featured logging program that Don has been diligently updating and keeping current.

Its easy to use and it helps me make more QSO faster during contests. The "Band" display makes it easy to find rare "spots" and the interface to my Yaesu FT DX 5000 is seamless.

The logging database is robust and fast to sort and search.

As other have noted Don is responsive to emails and always helpful.

Best money I have spent in Ham radio.

Best regards and '73

Mike
W9CN

WD1V Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2014 06:59 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Imagine getting a product that is the result of > 10 years of passionate efforts to improve by listening and intelligently implementing what ham radio customers want. That is MLDX today - tested and proven again and again and again.

I reviewed this program 10 years ago and gave it a 5/5 then. Don Argo has continuously enhanced and improved MLDX to keep it at the summit of Mac (and now iPad) logging programs.

Thank you Don, VE3VRW! If Steve Jobs were alive and a ham, this is what he'd use for logging. He'd say it met his "insanely great" criteria.

John - WD1V

NR5K Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2014 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using MacLoggerDX (MLDX) for about two years. Before that I was completely disappointed with the quality and support of all the logging programs I had used which includes all of the best known Windows and Linux programs. I am primarily a UNIX guy and a retired software engineer. So once I tried MLDX on an old iMac I was totally hooked. The software ran just fine on that eight year old iMac and still does. However, with the switch to 64-bits I now use a newer MacPro. As everyone has mentioned, the service and support is second to none. And I mean second to none in the entire software industry. I use MLDX every day and never have any issues with it failing to start up correctly, hanging up or any other problems. It is Rock Solid.

Don is continuously updating the software to support new radios, changes in operating modes and external interfaces when they change. For example, recently Google changed the API for Google Maps. Two days later we had an updated version of MLDX that supported the new API requirements. And reference files (DXCC country list, etc) are updated as soon as there is a change.

Serious contesters will need to use something else but it is trivial to import a contest log (in ADIF) so that all logging can be kept in one place for awards tracking, etc. Casual contesters like me can just continue to use MLDX in "Contest mode".

One of the main things I like about MLDX is the ability to completely customize the various dialogs for DX Clusters, Logging, Band Plans and others. Virtually everything is tailorable to one's individual tastes or requirements.

On a scale of 1-10 I give MLDX an 11. It is clearly the best day-to-day logging program I have ever used.

KF2T Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2014 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Great support!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally went all the way and swapped out my last Windows PC (the shack computer) for a Mac. Evaluated all of the available Mac OS loggers out there, and within half an hour of trying MacLoggerDX, I was hooked.

It's a well-written, nicely laid out application that runs all the time in my shack. Don responds personally and quickly to requests. His very professional and effective response to a bug I found in the most recent update so impressed me I have to say - GO BUY THIS PROGRAM.

As some have mentioned, there are a few minor bits that could stand tweaking. LoTW upload and download, like interfacing with other applications, relies on an external script, for example - not a big deal, but would be nice to have automated. Would like to have more filtering for DX Cluster alarms (for example, alert on any 6 meter spots, but needed DXCC only for HF). Individual tracking of paper vs LoTW QSLs would be nice. But if that's all I can come up with, then it's a good deal all around.

Don is involved and engaged in this product. It is great to see a quality application coming from a real-life user and operator. Did I mention you should get this program?

KF5HEL Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2013 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Great product for Mac Hams  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using MacLoggerDX for just over a month and have to say, it has really enhanced my ham radio hobby. It interfaces cleanly with my Kenwood TS-590S, and I'm constantly finding new features that I really like (DX Clusters are awesome).

This is also a Mac app that *feels* like a Mac app. The author, Don, has gone to lengths to abide by the Mac User Interface Guidelines, and it shows. Also, Don has been very quick to provide the few questions I had and even went as far as to implement an idea I had.

In short, you get great software that adheres to the Mac philosophy, and a developer who is responsive and eager to make his product better. What more could you ask for?

NC1T Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2013 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Sorry I waited so long  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with the previous reviewer "The Best". Read the reviews and played with the Demo late Friday nite. Thought I would test Don and his sleep pattern. Had a small issue with the driver to the radio. E-mailed Don and yep he was back to me in minutes. Purchased the program and while it's not life changing hi, hi its close. What a tool and the ability to control the radio and link to QRZ is amazing. If your a Mac man get it and you won't be sorry.

K6CRC Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2013 07:27 Send this review to a friend
The best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Thought is was time to update my review, as MLDX has changed significantly.

Latest version of MLDX has added neat new features, and tracks Mac OSX updates well. The author, Don, is ALWAYS ready to help with issues or questions. Support is nothing short of fantastic.

No matter how much you have spent on your rig, antenna, etc. nothing makes the hobby more fun than a good logging and monitoring program.

I have been in all areas of tech for many years. MDLX is one of the best designed and certainly the best supported product I have ever used. A bargain at twice the price.

K0MD Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Amazing - Robust- Full of Features  Time owned: more than 12 months
I switched to this software several years ago. I wrote an initial review and you can find it. This review is an update after several years of use:
1. It remains the BEST logging software program that I have used among all PC or Mac based. It is robust, facile and intuitive to figure out.
2. The program has some features that I am just now discovering:

After contesting with N1MM, I load the contest log into this program. I can highlight the entries, click update selected log entries, and missing information like name, and the band I worked them on is filled in. It does not alter anything I imported like call, frequency of QSO or time but N1MM is a contest program and does not capture anything more than you enter. This program updates it for filling out QSL labels, etc.

The program will mark as QSL sent once you take a file and create labels for QSL cards or create a file as ADIF for uploading to LOTW. Very neat!

3. The program also tracks your DXCC and state totals, helpful if you are chasing awards.

4. The customer service from Don Agro is great - he replies to email queries in a short time, shows you the steps you need to take to correct any problem and can tell you if the software has a feature you may not be finding.

This program is worth the money spent and I continue to be delighted I am using it after several years. It was worth switching from PC to MAC in my shack to get access to this program.

KF4YMJ Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2013 12:47 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME Logging Software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The product alone is absolutely outstanding and there is nothing on the market like it. It is well worth the price. I had trouble getting my rig to communicate with the software and with one email to Don he had me online and working in less than one hour. He is better than most support groups that you pay subscriptions for. All this included in the price.

Don't waste anytime researching logging software jump online and buy this software because you will NOT be disappointed. You will make contacts faster than before and really enjoy the program unlike others.

Totally Satisfied!!! Thanks Don... 73

IK1BXN Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2013 03:39 Send this review to a friend
"THE LOGGER"  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can say I'm 100% satisfied with MLDX and this covers also for price aspect, as already told it worths what I paid for it.
Before starting with MLDX I tried other solutions (not only for Mac) but there is nothing to do : MLDX IMHO is the best because :
- it has enthusiastic interface (and not only speaking of graphic aspect)
- every operation need is under your finger at a glance
- DB performance is really high
- integration with cocoamodem is solid like a stone
- cluster is great
- reference files (like countries) are continuously kept updated
….and more
Of course it's not free but this mean for me we can bet on support for future without be obliged one day to move to another logger because the developer changed hobby or sold the rights to somebody else ….
MLDX support is more that we can expect (I wonder does Don sleep sometimes?) it's shape clear and answer comes back extremely fast, this IMHO looks like Elecraft (the rigs I love) support….in a word you'll never be alone and this is very important for me and it worths (one more time) what I paid one time at the beginning.

We have a proverb in Italy that tells "having wife drunk and at the same time the barrel full of wine….it's impossible!" so what it worths has a cost

Giorgio