Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | MacLoggerDX Help

Reviews Summary for MacLoggerDX
MacLoggerDX Reviews: 143 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $95.
Description: General-purpose logging software with interfaces to many radios, internet DXClusters, TNCs, and QRZ CD ROM database. Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.

You can write your own review of the MacLoggerDX.

K5ND Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2016 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Highly Responsive Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using MacLoggerDX for quite a few years. The software itself is top of the line as many here have already reported.

In addition, I've always found the support by Don Agro to be exemplary and highly responsive. Although, responsive may not be quite the right word. Here's why.

Last night I submitted an inquiry to the support group about VUCC Grid Squares, this morning around 6 AM I received a detailed response from Don. At noon, he announced a new version of the software that provided just the feature I was seeking.

So, the word for support might be "amazing" or "lightning quick" and it is certainly incredible.

If you're considering purchasing this software, I don't see how you could go wrong.
VE7ON Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2016 10:13 Send this review to a friend
The very best Mac logging program  Time owned: more than 12 months
Several years ago I had finally had enough of Windows' very temperamental operating system. The obvious replacement choice was a Mac and I have never been happier since the change. The next problem was to find a logging program. I tried a few of the other one out there but found them clunky to operate. The first time I tried the demo version of MacLogger I knew it was the right one for me. I have been using MacLogger exclusively for over 5 years now and couldn't be happier. The program is constantly evolving and the support is outstanding. Suggested changes and improvements are dealt wit very quickly. No fuss at all.

A happy customer.
KE0JMZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2016 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional quality and support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very happy with MacLoggerDX the name is somewhat missing leading in that it is much more than just logging or DX software. It does the logging and DX assist wonderfully but it also controls my Yeasu FT-450D, generates QSL cards, controls your rotor and much more. This last 4th of July I used it to help me with the 13 colonies contest and it was a huge help and made the contest more enjoyable. I also like the way the Bands window shows you where you are at all the time in the band and simply click anywhere in the band and my FT-450D is set to go at that location.

If you have a Mac and are thinking about using software to assist you this is it. Download it and try it, you get the full package to try for as long as you like as long as you restart it every 15 minutes. And the support provided by Don is incredible! Updates/improvements are continually made.
KB2GCG Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2016 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Works as promised  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great program for the Mac user. Of course, like any other software, it can't be all things to all hams at all times. A careful read of the documentation gave me a clear idea that my needs would be met and they were. Great job and highly recommended.
WB2VVV Rating: 0/5 Jun 11, 2016 23:14 Send this review to a friend
Not for Contesting!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
From everything I read Maclogger DX would be a Mac user's dream logging program and would bridge the longstanding gap between Contest and General Logging, so you would only have to maintain one log. That was truly my hope, and I was very disappointed to invest around $100 and more importantly several hours to learn that it is just NOT suitable for contest logging as it is too slow to use for entering contacts at a contest pace, and that it is also not suitable for Contest and/or General logging if you operate VHF/UHF bands because it does not support many VHF/UHF bands that VHF-ers like me do regularly operate such as 222, 903, 1296, 2304, and 3456 MHz. There is a third party Cabrillo Converter built and supported by a user group (not by the actual Maclogger DX developer) which attempts to create a proper Cabrillo log Contest entry from the Maclogger DX software's unique file format, and when you look at what contests are supported they claim it supports the ARRL VHF Contests, but it cannot possibly do so when you operate the aforementioned VHF/UHF bands. In actual fact it only could support one of twelve possible entry classes that exist today for the ARRL VHF Contests.

My frame of reference for expedient Contest Logging at contest pace has been the three programs I have previously owned and operated: CT, NA, and TR. These all eventually became obsolete for me and as I also moved to a Mac personally I hoped for a Mac based Contest Logging solution. Unfortunately Maclogger DX won't do either Contest or all of my General Logging for me.

Maybe someday there will be a logging program available for both Contesting and General Logging, but Maclogger DX doesn't cut it so don't even think that it might. To this end Mac users are very limited in their choices. Currently I will might use Maclogger DX for some of my General Logging (due the money and time I already invested and the lack of other Mac logging software available), but I will have to still maintain paper log books for unsupported VHF/UHF contacts, plus a separate PC laptop with real Contest Logging software for Contesting at a Contest pace. Maintaining 3 logs that don't tie together is a far cry from what was touted as 1 log doing everything. I guess Maclogger DX is in my mind rather like all-season tires, all-mountain skis, all-band antennas, etc. in that yes they can do a lot of everything by compromising everything such that they actually do nothing really well.
KD0PMW Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2016 20:36 Send this review to a friend
I wont turn on the radio without it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using MacloggerDX for many years and I wont run the radio without it fired up. It does so much more than just logging and could be called MacSpotter since the DXClusters displays the latest spots while the Band display shows activity by band. See a spot and click on it to tune the radio to the correct band, frequency, and mode. The color coding lets you know if you have an entity worked already by band and mode and even if you have worked a particular callsign in the past.

Track your awards progress when chasing DX, WAS, and IOTAs. You can print QSL cards or labels directly from your log, export contacts as ADIF file to upload.

Two critical features are excellent and responsive support and frequent upgrades to the software. The cost may seem high in today's world of cheap apps but you will find that you get what you pay for.

W1QU Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2016 13:38 Send this review to a friend
If you own a Mac, this is the logging program for you!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My XYL and I have used MacloggerDX for a number of years, her more recently than I. We both have found the program to be user friendly, very intuitive, comprehensive and very easy to install and update. The program does much more than logging and is a must for those working toward DXCC, and the like. But what makes the program really great +, is the creator and developer, Don Agro, VE3VRW, whose 24/7 tech support is second to none. This timely, comprehensive and attention to detail type support, goes far beyond what you would expect; he stays with all problems until an equitable solution is found for the user. He is also very attentive to user needs and responds in a very timely manner with frequent updates, including detailed explanations of what a particular update will do for the user. So, if your in the market for a Mac friendly logging program,, we strongly recommend MacloggerDX without reservation .

Best 73,
Bobbie & Tom Donohue
K6CRC Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2016 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Still on top  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a MLDX user for about 7 years now. Through a couple of Macs and 4 different rigs. I am a casual ham, and have tried several competing packages. None come close to this.
I know good software, good UI design and good support. Don provides all that with MLDX.
Given the continual improvements and the great support, the price is dirt cheap.
At least try it out before you commit your money or more importantly, your time to any other ham software.
EA3CLB Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2016 01:34 Send this review to a friend
Happy user  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best logger and radio controller software i have used both in windows and mac. I'm a more than happy user since 2012. Also, the support from Don is amazing. He is always there to help and add new features almost in real time.
KM6AAI Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2016 22:35 Send this review to a friend
Very good but could use some additions to log  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I’ve had the program for a few weeks now but have only used the logging feature since I don’t have a radio that I can attach it to. Thus, my comments only apply to the logging feature.

While the user interface is mostly intuitive, there are some functions that are counter-intuitive. My main complaint is that it has a convoluted method for making a change to a previous QSO. You should be able to display it in the entry window make a change and re-save it out, but any changes you make don’t ‘take.’ Some people like me don’t keep every QSO for a particular station… we just update the one we have with new comments or time, etc. Thus you have to do this in the grid itself and it is a PITA. In addition to having a "Log QSO" button which adds a new entry to the database, the program should also have a "Change QSO" button.

The docs for the program are sketchy at best. For such an expensive piece of software I would have expected a professional manual full of details, but in order to really understand how to use the log you have to engage on a lot of trial and error.

The developer created user-interface (UI) defaults… which is fine… but a professional piece of software at this price should allow the user to override them via a comprehensive Preference screen. For example, upon the start-up the log is in “time on” sequence… the most recent QSOs are at the top. OK, lots of people would want this. But others like me would like it to start up in callsign order.

Another annoying ‘feature’ is that if a QSO runs past a half-hour the time shows up in bold… which I find distracting when I look at the log grid. This is another setting that should be user-defined. The same goes for the bold if the transmit and receive frequencies are different. Let the user decide on the look/feel of his/her program.. he/she paid a lot of money for it.

There are a bunch of positives to this program… but to me they are what I would expect from any kind of logging program… fast response, the ability to have multiple databases, and the ability to keep them where I want to (on Dropbox in my case so that I can ‘sync’ with the log program on my laptop.) In other words, the developer did a lot of things correctly, but that is to be expected in professional quality software.

On huge positive is the incredibly fast support that the company provides. I would suggest that people buy this software for the support alone! I asked some questions on a Sunday morning and I got a quick response… from the developer no less, and not some one in Bazerkastan! To me, this support trumps any and all negatives (perceived or actual) that this program has.

I’m sure that this program really shines when connected to a radio but as just a logger, it is not as good as it could be if the developer simply let users configure many of the items and not have so many default lock-ins. But as I said above… the support alone for this software is well worth the price. You won’t go wrong with this program.