Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | MacLoggerDX Help

Reviews Summary for MacLoggerDX
MacLoggerDX Reviews: 129 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $95.
Description: General-purpose logging software with interfaces to many radios, internet DXClusters, TNCs, and QRZ CD ROM database. Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.

You can write your own review of the MacLoggerDX.

NC1T Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2013 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Sorry I waited so long  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with the previous reviewer "The Best". Read the reviews and played with the Demo late Friday nite. Thought I would test Don and his sleep pattern. Had a small issue with the driver to the radio. E-mailed Don and yep he was back to me in minutes. Purchased the program and while it's not life changing hi, hi its close. What a tool and the ability to control the radio and link to QRZ is amazing. If your a Mac man get it and you won't be sorry.
K6CRC Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2013 07:27 Send this review to a friend
The best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Thought is was time to update my review, as MLDX has changed significantly.

Latest version of MLDX has added neat new features, and tracks Mac OSX updates well. The author, Don, is ALWAYS ready to help with issues or questions. Support is nothing short of fantastic.

No matter how much you have spent on your rig, antenna, etc. nothing makes the hobby more fun than a good logging and monitoring program.

I have been in all areas of tech for many years. MDLX is one of the best designed and certainly the best supported product I have ever used. A bargain at twice the price.
K0MD Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Amazing - Robust- Full of Features  Time owned: more than 12 months
I switched to this software several years ago. I wrote an initial review and you can find it. This review is an update after several years of use:
1. It remains the BEST logging software program that I have used among all PC or Mac based. It is robust, facile and intuitive to figure out.
2. The program has some features that I am just now discovering:

After contesting with N1MM, I load the contest log into this program. I can highlight the entries, click update selected log entries, and missing information like name, and the band I worked them on is filled in. It does not alter anything I imported like call, frequency of QSO or time but N1MM is a contest program and does not capture anything more than you enter. This program updates it for filling out QSL labels, etc.

The program will mark as QSL sent once you take a file and create labels for QSL cards or create a file as ADIF for uploading to LOTW. Very neat!

3. The program also tracks your DXCC and state totals, helpful if you are chasing awards.

4. The customer service from Don Agro is great - he replies to email queries in a short time, shows you the steps you need to take to correct any problem and can tell you if the software has a feature you may not be finding.

This program is worth the money spent and I continue to be delighted I am using it after several years. It was worth switching from PC to MAC in my shack to get access to this program.
KF4YMJ Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2013 12:47 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME Logging Software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The product alone is absolutely outstanding and there is nothing on the market like it. It is well worth the price. I had trouble getting my rig to communicate with the software and with one email to Don he had me online and working in less than one hour. He is better than most support groups that you pay subscriptions for. All this included in the price.

Don't waste anytime researching logging software jump online and buy this software because you will NOT be disappointed. You will make contacts faster than before and really enjoy the program unlike others.

Totally Satisfied!!! Thanks Don... 73
IK1BXN Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2013 03:39 Send this review to a friend
"THE LOGGER"  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can say I'm 100% satisfied with MLDX and this covers also for price aspect, as already told it worths what I paid for it.
Before starting with MLDX I tried other solutions (not only for Mac) but there is nothing to do : MLDX IMHO is the best because :
- it has enthusiastic interface (and not only speaking of graphic aspect)
- every operation need is under your finger at a glance
- DB performance is really high
- integration with cocoamodem is solid like a stone
- cluster is great
- reference files (like countries) are continuously kept updated
….and more
Of course it's not free but this mean for me we can bet on support for future without be obliged one day to move to another logger because the developer changed hobby or sold the rights to somebody else ….
MLDX support is more that we can expect (I wonder does Don sleep sometimes?) it's shape clear and answer comes back extremely fast, this IMHO looks like Elecraft (the rigs I love) support….in a word you'll never be alone and this is very important for me and it worths (one more time) what I paid one time at the beginning.

We have a proverb in Italy that tells "having wife drunk and at the same time the barrel full of wine….it's impossible!" so what it worths has a cost

KD0PMW Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2013 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Great logging and spotting software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was a bit reluctant to spend the money for MacLogger in the beginning but it is worth every penny. In this case you not only get your money's worth, you get a whole lot more. I wish every software provider was as responsive to questions and requests.

It is great for logging but also wonderful for spotting DX on the cluster and tuning the radio right to where they are. I have it set up to go right to QRZ to look up info on a call and it fills in all the fields so I am ready to enter signal reports exchanged and put it in the log as soon as I make the QSO.

Now that I have MacLogger on my station computer the radio is the second thing I turn on when I walk into the shack.

PE1KEV Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2013 08:17 Send this review to a friend
A great loggin app for the MAC with top service!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
At first I hesitated to buy the software. It looked great and the testdrive was great too. It has all features which make MacLoggerDX a right logging tool for me. I was really surprised to see the support from the developer and last weekend he even patched the software into a new beta version to help me out. One thing I didn;t understand was the response time. Since Don is in Canada and I live in europe there must be a time difference, right? Well I got response within an hour in the morning, in the weekend!

The hesitation I had at first because of the price has gone because of the support you get.

K3DCW Rating: 3/5 Mar 23, 2013 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Pretty, but may not meet your needs  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let me start out by saying that MacLoggerDX was the 1st logger I used on OS X. It is a beautiful program with great support from Don. When I say "great support", I mean UNSURPASSED support. Don's responsiveness is top notch! MacLoggerDX is the best logger I've seen with the OS X aesthetic down pat. Everything works as OS X intended.

All of that being said, the more I used MLDX, the less I enjoyed using it. I am primarily a digital operator who chases DX and enjoys using LoTW/eQSL. I found the tracking of QSLs (paper, LoTW, and eQSL all tracked as the same with no differentiation in the awards panel) to be lazy. Having to download the ADIF file manually from LoTW and then import it into MLDX is a clunky way of doing a LoTW download. Finally, although it did support cocoaModem (another beautiful, but less-functional program), any true digital mode fan will want to use Fldigi on OS X...and Don refused to incorporate even the basic amount of support (like auto-log import) since it wasn't OS X native.

Eventually, I ended up using RUMlog and I haven't looked back. It tracks paper, LoTW and eQSL separately and lets you choose which ones to use for each award. It works with Fldigi (and cocoaModem) flawlessly using Fldigi's built-in XML-RPC protocol to exchange frequency/logs/callsign lookup/etc, it does one-click upload/download from LoTW/eQSL and ClubLog. It has all of the tools one needs to operate efficiently, even if it isn't a "traditional" OS X appearance. Best of all, RUMlog is free and is actively developed as well.

So, for rag chewers or casual operators interested in a beautiful product with computerized logging capabilities, MLDX is definitely a highly-recommend product. For those interested in seriously chasing DX, awards, LoTW/eQSL tracking and more, there are better choices out there on OS X.
KC2ZWK Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2013 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best Logging Program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using MacLoggerDX for about 4 years paired with my Kenwood 950SD as well as my Kenwood TS-480 with no problems using the Microham interface. Well about two weeks ago I purchased the new Kenwood 990 and was worried that I would have to wait for Don to write the code to update MacLogger for the new rig. Well I went to his site and downloaded the latest version and I could not believe it but the 990 was already listed as a supported radio. The radio wasn't out two days and he already had it listed. I tried to hook up the radio (which has built in USB so no need for an external interface) but couldn't get it recognized in MacLogger. It was a Saturday and I was dreading not having MacLogger for the weekend so I emailed Don (the genius behind MacLogger) thinking I would get a response on Monday, well I received a response within 10 minutes instructing me to download a driver as well as sending me a screenshot of where the settings should be to get it working. WOW!! Thats service! Can't thank you enough Don, U the man! Anyway, the software is simply amazing and can't imagine working a radio without it. The interface is elegant and there are more features than you can imagine. I love the fact that he has hundreds of preset memories for shortwave stations as well as military and aircraft etc. I use it in conjunction with CocoaModem as well as FLDigi and love it. I have always had a Mac and I'm glad I have MacLogger.
OD5ZZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2013 03:32 Send this review to a friend
A great software  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I decided to come back to the hobby after being inactive for almost 16 years I started looking for a logging program , I found plenty and decided to test a few before going on the air , I could not find any better then MacLoggerDX , simple to work yet it has everything a serious DX'er wants , the most important is the backup and help extended by Don Agro he is always ready to answer any question within minutes and he keeps on updating the software , it is the best logging software I have tested and I do highly recommend this software, it is worth every penny.

73 de Walid-OD5ZZ