Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | MacLoggerDX Help

Reviews Summary for MacLoggerDX
MacLoggerDX Reviews: 149 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $95.
Description: General-purpose logging software with interfaces to many radios, internet DXClusters, TNCs, and QRZ CD ROM database. Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.
More info: http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX.html

You can write your own review of the MacLoggerDX.

KB2GCG Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2016 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Works as promised  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great program for the Mac user. Of course, like any other software, it can't be all things to all hams at all times. A careful read of the documentation gave me a clear idea that my needs would be met and they were. Great job and highly recommended.

WB2VVV Rating: 0/5 Jun 11, 2016 23:14 Send this review to a friend
Not for Contesting!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
From everything I read Maclogger DX would be a Mac user's dream logging program and would bridge the longstanding gap between Contest and General Logging, so you would only have to maintain one log. That was truly my hope, and I was very disappointed to invest around $100 and more importantly several hours to learn that it is just NOT suitable for contest logging as it is too slow to use for entering contacts at a contest pace, and that it is also not suitable for Contest and/or General logging if you operate VHF/UHF bands because it does not support many VHF/UHF bands that VHF-ers like me do regularly operate such as 222, 903, 1296, 2304, and 3456 MHz. There is a third party Cabrillo Converter built and supported by a user group (not by the actual Maclogger DX developer) which attempts to create a proper Cabrillo log Contest entry from the Maclogger DX software's unique file format, and when you look at what contests are supported they claim it supports the ARRL VHF Contests, but it cannot possibly do so when you operate the aforementioned VHF/UHF bands. In actual fact it only could support one of twelve possible entry classes that exist today for the ARRL VHF Contests.

My frame of reference for expedient Contest Logging at contest pace has been the three programs I have previously owned and operated: CT, NA, and TR. These all eventually became obsolete for me and as I also moved to a Mac personally I hoped for a Mac based Contest Logging solution. Unfortunately Maclogger DX won't do either Contest or all of my General Logging for me.

Maybe someday there will be a logging program available for both Contesting and General Logging, but Maclogger DX doesn't cut it so don't even think that it might. To this end Mac users are very limited in their choices. Currently I will might use Maclogger DX for some of my General Logging (due the money and time I already invested and the lack of other Mac logging software available), but I will have to still maintain paper log books for unsupported VHF/UHF contacts, plus a separate PC laptop with real Contest Logging software for Contesting at a Contest pace. Maintaining 3 logs that don't tie together is a far cry from what was touted as 1 log doing everything. I guess Maclogger DX is in my mind rather like all-season tires, all-mountain skis, all-band antennas, etc. in that yes they can do a lot of everything by compromising everything such that they actually do nothing really well.

KD0PMW Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2016 20:36 Send this review to a friend
I wont turn on the radio without it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using MacloggerDX for many years and I wont run the radio without it fired up. It does so much more than just logging and could be called MacSpotter since the DXClusters displays the latest spots while the Band display shows activity by band. See a spot and click on it to tune the radio to the correct band, frequency, and mode. The color coding lets you know if you have an entity worked already by band and mode and even if you have worked a particular callsign in the past.

Track your awards progress when chasing DX, WAS, and IOTAs. You can print QSL cards or labels directly from your log, export contacts as ADIF file to upload.

Two critical features are excellent and responsive support and frequent upgrades to the software. The cost may seem high in today's world of cheap apps but you will find that you get what you pay for.

George
KDPMW

W1QU Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2016 13:38 Send this review to a friend
If you own a Mac, this is the logging program for you!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My XYL and I have used MacloggerDX for a number of years, her more recently than I. We both have found the program to be user friendly, very intuitive, comprehensive and very easy to install and update. The program does much more than logging and is a must for those working toward DXCC, and the like. But what makes the program really great +, is the creator and developer, Don Agro, VE3VRW, whose 24/7 tech support is second to none. This timely, comprehensive and attention to detail type support, goes far beyond what you would expect; he stays with all problems until an equitable solution is found for the user. He is also very attentive to user needs and responds in a very timely manner with frequent updates, including detailed explanations of what a particular update will do for the user. So, if your in the market for a Mac friendly logging program,, we strongly recommend MacloggerDX without reservation .

Best 73,
Bobbie & Tom Donohue
W1JX/W1QU

K6CRC Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2016 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Still on top  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a MLDX user for about 7 years now. Through a couple of Macs and 4 different rigs. I am a casual ham, and have tried several competing packages. None come close to this.
I know good software, good UI design and good support. Don provides all that with MLDX.
Given the continual improvements and the great support, the price is dirt cheap.
At least try it out before you commit your money or more importantly, your time to any other ham software.

EA3CLB Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2016 01:34 Send this review to a friend
Happy user  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best logger and radio controller software i have used both in windows and mac. I'm a more than happy user since 2012. Also, the support from Don is amazing. He is always there to help and add new features almost in real time.

W7XC Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2016 18:14 Send this review to a friend
The best OS X product, best customer service, best support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned every version of MacLogger since 2009. I have found the product to be the best available for Mac (and better than any Windows product I have ever used), the customer service beyond outstanding, the product constantly receiving updates and tweaks, and the publisher is generous with product updates.

The product performs properly or the publisher works diligently to correct any problems in an extremely prompt manner. He has often given guidance on topics relating products that utilize the software in a manner you are not likely to receive from any other publisher of software.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate this product and the publisher at a 20...!

WA5TVO Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2016 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional logging program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I returned to ham radio after a long period in which I was QRT. I soon found that the old paper logging routine was inadequate for my needs. I trialed a number of Mac OS X logging programs at that time, but none seemed to have the versatility of MacLoggerDX. I remain a very satisfied customer after several years of using this application, which over time, has only improved due to the ongoing work of VE3VRW (Don Agro). One element of this program that you will find is worth every dollar paid is the excellent customer service that is no further than your email inbox. Over the years, Don has answered every inquiry (or problem) I have had with his program expeditiously and completely. If you are looking for an excellent Mac OS X logging program that can meet the needs of the most demanding user, you need look no further. Your money will be well spent!

MM0WST Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2016 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Best of Class!  Time owned: more than 12 months
MacLoggerDX is the only ham radio software I use now (and I've tried them all). After replacing Windows with Mac OS I was really stuck until I heard about this. Watching live DX across a map you can see where the good propagation is. The app is superbly designed by a DXer! I was amazed at how easy it was to set up with my KX3 and rig control is excellent. I have it configured with my QRZ account which feeds in call data in real time. It is amazing watching the QSL card graphics running in real time from the cluster feed. I also have the iPad version which is a must - this allows me to monitor the cluster on my TV (a quick flick of a button and you can monitor traffic). I had a registration problem with my licence key at the start and Don replied to my email within 5 minutes. Impressive! Buy with confidence.

NY1H Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2016 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Best Tech Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have tried other programs for my Mac and was not happy.
Downloaded MacLogger and was easy to set up.
Works with my Contest rig perfectly.
Last night I wanted to dabble in the CQ 160 meter contest and had a problem, I could not find my registration number. I sent out a request for the number at 8:30pm on Friday night figuring I might get a reply on Monday, But to my surprise I was sent my number at 9:00pm. I was back in the game. That my friends is Great customer support.
73" Bob NY1H