Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | MacLoggerDX Help

Reviews Summary for MacLoggerDX
MacLoggerDX Reviews: 123 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $95.
Description: General-purpose logging software with interfaces to many radios, internet DXClusters, TNCs, and QRZ CD ROM database. Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.
More info: http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX.html

You can write your own review of the MacLoggerDX.

PE1KEV Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2013 08:17 Send this review to a friend
A great loggin app for the MAC with top service!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
At first I hesitated to buy the software. It looked great and the testdrive was great too. It has all features which make MacLoggerDX a right logging tool for me. I was really surprised to see the support from the developer and last weekend he even patched the software into a new beta version to help me out. One thing I didn;t understand was the response time. Since Don is in Canada and I live in europe there must be a time difference, right? Well I got response within an hour in the morning, in the weekend!

The hesitation I had at first because of the price has gone because of the support you get.

Peter

K3DCW Rating: 3/5 Mar 23, 2013 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Pretty, but may not meet your needs  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let me start out by saying that MacLoggerDX was the 1st logger I used on OS X. It is a beautiful program with great support from Don. When I say "great support", I mean UNSURPASSED support. Don's responsiveness is top notch! MacLoggerDX is the best logger I've seen with the OS X aesthetic down pat. Everything works as OS X intended.

All of that being said, the more I used MLDX, the less I enjoyed using it. I am primarily a digital operator who chases DX and enjoys using LoTW/eQSL. I found the tracking of QSLs (paper, LoTW, and eQSL all tracked as the same with no differentiation in the awards panel) to be lazy. Having to download the ADIF file manually from LoTW and then import it into MLDX is a clunky way of doing a LoTW download. Finally, although it did support cocoaModem (another beautiful, but less-functional program), any true digital mode fan will want to use Fldigi on OS X...and Don refused to incorporate even the basic amount of support (like auto-log import) since it wasn't OS X native.

Eventually, I ended up using RUMlog and I haven't looked back. It tracks paper, LoTW and eQSL separately and lets you choose which ones to use for each award. It works with Fldigi (and cocoaModem) flawlessly using Fldigi's built-in XML-RPC protocol to exchange frequency/logs/callsign lookup/etc, it does one-click upload/download from LoTW/eQSL and ClubLog. It has all of the tools one needs to operate efficiently, even if it isn't a "traditional" OS X appearance. Best of all, RUMlog is free and is actively developed as well.

So, for rag chewers or casual operators interested in a beautiful product with computerized logging capabilities, MLDX is definitely a highly-recommend product. For those interested in seriously chasing DX, awards, LoTW/eQSL tracking and more, there are better choices out there on OS X.

KC2ZWK Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2013 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best Logging Program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using MacLoggerDX for about 4 years paired with my Kenwood 950SD as well as my Kenwood TS-480 with no problems using the Microham interface. Well about two weeks ago I purchased the new Kenwood 990 and was worried that I would have to wait for Don to write the code to update MacLogger for the new rig. Well I went to his site and downloaded the latest version and I could not believe it but the 990 was already listed as a supported radio. The radio wasn't out two days and he already had it listed. I tried to hook up the radio (which has built in USB so no need for an external interface) but couldn't get it recognized in MacLogger. It was a Saturday and I was dreading not having MacLogger for the weekend so I emailed Don (the genius behind MacLogger) thinking I would get a response on Monday, well I received a response within 10 minutes instructing me to download a driver as well as sending me a screenshot of where the settings should be to get it working. WOW!! Thats service! Can't thank you enough Don, U the man! Anyway, the software is simply amazing and can't imagine working a radio without it. The interface is elegant and there are more features than you can imagine. I love the fact that he has hundreds of preset memories for shortwave stations as well as military and aircraft etc. I use it in conjunction with CocoaModem as well as FLDigi and love it. I have always had a Mac and I'm glad I have MacLogger.

OD5ZZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2013 03:32 Send this review to a friend
A great software  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I decided to come back to the hobby after being inactive for almost 16 years I started looking for a logging program , I found plenty and decided to test a few before going on the air , I could not find any better then MacLoggerDX , simple to work yet it has everything a serious DX'er wants , the most important is the backup and help extended by Don Agro he is always ready to answer any question within minutes and he keeps on updating the software , it is the best logging software I have tested and I do highly recommend this software, it is worth every penny.

73 de Walid-OD5ZZ

K6XC Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2013 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the premier logging program for Mac!
I have been using it for quite some time and it just works.

After using it for several years, I noticed a minor problem.
I sent an e-mail to Don Agro, the genius who is the guru that writes this fine program.

In about 3 minutes he sent me an e-mail advising it was fixed in a beta release.

I downloaded the new release and, viola, the problem was solved!

You can't get better service than that!

So... The program works great and service is great.

My suggestion: Try it, you will like it. You will not be disappointed.

Ron, K6XC

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2012 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a problem when connecting up my K3 for the first time today,
A quick email to Don and within 10 mins I had a fix from him, quite amazing.
I should have checked the FAQs first of all.

Superb programme, thoroughly recommended for Macs.
Rob G3RCE

N1PD Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2012 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Best Logger out there  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a DXer. I rarely do anything else and always on HF. I originally used a paid logger for windows and when I got my Mac I went on the hunt for a logger for OSX. Found Maclogger and have never looked back. I am a retired computer professional and I really appreciate what Don has done to create a logging program that is usable to all users of all experiences. I converted my log using ADIF (about 5k contacts) with almost no problems. Whenever I have a question, Don is always there within hours if not minutes to help. I found a small issue with rig control for my Omni VII and told Don and in about an hour he had a mod that fixed the problem. I have NEVER had this good support for any piece of software. Buy Macloggerdx, you will not be disappointed.

VK6RK Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2012 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Superb product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had lots of issues getting it running at first, Don was extremely helpful even though I was my own worst enemy!.
He responds so quickly to questions, I was amazed to get service like that these days. I still have a problem with rig control but that has proved to be the failure of the Uart on the RS232 port on my FTdx9000D, not the software. If I can ever justify sending 40 kgs of radio half way around the world to get it fixed I will be able to enjoy the full benefits of the program on my Yaesu. It works perfectly with my IC9100. thanks for your patience with me Don !

N1MIE Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2012 05:29 Send this review to a friend
Frequently Updated  Time owned: more than 12 months
The author continually updates this package for new hardware, additional features, and more. I use it exclusively on my base station.

K0ACP Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2012 19:14 Send this review to a friend
If you run MacOS, then it has to be MacLoggerDX  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have tried a number of different logging programs, and if you are going to run MacOS, then MacLoggerDX is the ONLY choice. The software is first rate, and support by Don is 2nd to none. I have been using the software since 2008 and can honestly say that for all around logging, it is top notch. Questions posted to the support forum (Yahoo) gets an answer within minutes if not hours.

I can honestly say that this has been one of the best value investments that I have made from either software or ham purchases.

As an EE with 30+ years in hardware and software product development, I can appreciate the work that Don has put into this product. If you find a better value, go for it, my guess and vote is that you will end up making the same call I did, MacLoggerDX.

Art