Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Callsign Software (HamStation, ScopeStation) Help

Reviews Summary for Callsign Software (HamStation, ScopeStation)
Callsign Software (HamStation, ScopeStation) Reviews: 24 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $79.99-109.99
Description: New rig control software. First platforms supported are Ten-Tec RX320, Pegasus, and Jupiter
More info: http://www.callsignsoftware.com

You can write your own review of the Callsign Software (HamStation, ScopeStation).

K8JHR Rating: 4/5 Apr 29, 2013 19:12 Send this review to a friend
It is OK, but not a favorite  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used ScopeStation with a Ten-Tec RS-320D receiver with good, but not outstanding results. Here is my take:

1) The USER MANUAL is comprehensive and does a good job explaining how to install, setup, and use the program. It could stand revision as it is overly comnplex and is repetitions to the point of tedium. A good once over would do wonders. It is, nevertheless, quite intelligible and reasonably complete - much better than typical ham software documentation.

2) It is loaded FEATURES - in fact, OVERLOADED with features. The user interface is a work of art, but ultimately, becomes tedious to naviagte and use, with way too many viirtual buttons and knobs, drop down menus, sub-menus, popup dialog boxes, and etc. This is a VERY COMPLICATED application for what is, essentially, a simple radio. If you really want all the extra features, you will love it. However, if you just want to control the receiver, it is overkill and the screen is cluttered and "busy" and, in my view, fails to meet my needs as I want a program that simplifies operation and makes the controlling the rig easier, more convenient, and streamlined.

3) The GOOD includes the shere number of features, and settings available. If you want complexity and multiplicity of controls, you won't be dissapointed. The BAD includes the shere number of features. In my view it is overly complex, will never be considered the paradigm of elegance and intuitive control - which, for me, is its ultimate failing.

4) The application appears to work as intended, and I cannot imagine a more detailed or complex control program for this computer controlled.

(Example: I like having a spectrum band scope, and really like being able to click on a graphical signal peak and have the radio instantly tune to the action represented thereby. Using ScopeStation, this is often less reliable, more tedious and complicated maneuver, and it cannot be repeated often without re-scanning the band. In contrast, using N4PY control software, I can scan once, and repeatedly click and tune to any point on the spectrum graph and it will not only tune my RX-320, but it will also tune my Omni VII transceiver, as if it was a built-in synchronized second receiver. And do it repeatedly with a simpler, easier to read user interface. Both programs ultimately get the job done, but one is more elegant, intuitive, and easier on the eyes.

5) PRODUCT SUPORT is SUPER. The author is constantly updating and working to fix any bugs or pecaddilloes which arise as users implement the application. SUPPORT on a YahooGroup or by email is OUTSTANDING because the author and his assitants take it all personally. Another reviewer alludes the author sometimes gets defensive in the face of criticism, - but that that is OK with me, because, while it might occasionaly impose some unwarranted tension, it clearly it demonstrates his personal concern and dedication to customer satisfaction. You will not be disappointed with product support.

6) BOTTOM LINE - I scrapped the program, and returned to the simple elegance and pure unadulterated functionality of N4PY's control programs, which are equally well supported. Nevertheless, ScopeStation is a good, well behaved, and well supported application that is worth the cost - it just does not make using the radio any easier or accessible, and for that reason, I use it only on occasion when I want to mess with it, but turn to other programs when I want to operate the rig in a efficient, elegant manner. Read the product description, and study the sample screen images on the producer's web pages, and make your own take.

You will get your money's wroth.

Just MY take.. // K8JHR //

KB2COP Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2012 05:24 Send this review to a friend
A GREAT piece of software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was a fool.
I purchased this software a while ago, had an issue trying to get it to run and then, after selling my R-75, just let it sit on my desktop. Well, I am in possession of another heavily modified R-75 and thought I'd give ScopeStation Ultra another shot. I made sure I dDownloaded the latest version (v. 4.29 as of this review). I had an issue with my USB-serial adapter, purchased the recommended device and gave it another shot. I had a timing issue and emailed my problem and error.txt log to Mike. I've used countless radio software packages and I can honestly say that the customer support I received from Mike @ Callsign Software was the kind of support I've only received two or three other times. Mike seemed to work on my issue from the moment he received the message until it was resolved (two days) and stayed in constant contact.
If you own this software and have ANY issues, all I can say is GET IN TOUCH WITH CUSTOMER SUPPORT!!!! You will be very glad you did.

Bottom line: I fond this to be the most comprehensive R-75 control software available and worth every penny I spent.

-73- John, KB2COP

WB7QXU Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2012 10:18 Send this review to a friend
Ten Tec R320D  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I give this a 5, but I understand the other reviews. I had trouble with this and Joe provides great help. At first I had lots of trouble since my laptop did not have Internet Explorer 6. It needs Ie to run. This is not easy software to get working, but once I got it figured out. It really does make the TT rx320D receiver do so much more than the Ten Tec software. It really brings the radio to life and does it hear well. I was disappointed with the TT software and the radio did not hear as well. But this new software is simply amazing. It takes time to get it figured out and configured. It is a challenge. but worth the money and it is a big difference.

WB7BCN Rating: 2/5 Sep 13, 2011 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Further experience with HSU  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I first submitted my review of HSU software, the same day the yahoo group lit up with new updates and debate. Ironically, my comments on regarding HSU's frequency tuning issue was rebutted. It was just coincidental as my review wasn't cleared for viewing.

I am holding to my original evaluation regarding this tuning, but to be fair I will briefly explain my thoughts further.

Yes, HSU has slide rule tuning very inconspicuously present above the frequency readout. However that is were the comparison ends. The instruction sets published at that period really glossed over this issue.

The approach by HRS is much more user friendly than HSU. At my fingertips, (or more correctly via the mouse) I can zip through fine tuning on one slide appearance and then drop down to more course tuning on the same band with another slide appearance. With HSU the issue is cumbersome when one has to walk the mouse to enjoy acceptable manual scanning changes. This may be a small issue but large enough to me to consider it detrimental for comparison.

Having said this, there are many fine qualities to HSU, but as I said in previous review, had a trail or demo been available, I would not have purchased HSU.

I find the defensive position of the progenitors of the software is unwarranted in that all the critical reviews of the software here on eHam are just a result of not reading their instruction sets or understanding the relationship of the software to the radio being used. There may be a lot of truth in this but it is only a make weight argument at best.

I went through their user manuals very thoroughly and my view is that like many software developers, they assume there is more understanding about computer operation than routinely exists. The easier sell would be to dumb down a lot of their instruction sets with the knowledge that even the most astute computer guru would just gloss over it and those challenged will not miss the message. But by and large the scales tip to the computer illiterate. Programers roll their eyes when I say this, but being computer savvy and a part time programmer it makes a lot of sense to me.

Lastly, it now appears HSU will become a better competitor with the rumor of HRD being sold to a developer and "most likely will not be free in the future". This will be a great improvement for future users as it will make both (HRD, HSU) vying for new customers and the free versus paid issue no longer valid.

I would predict that the winner of this (if one could conceive there is such) will be the one that convinces the consumers they (or no one) can produce a product that is all things to everybody. A lot of prejudice will remain, one would hope that defending your product will never be as good as having an open ear and improving it.

I also predict a new toehold for those developers who will hold that all software should be free (bless your hearts).

KG6YV Rating: 1/5 Mar 3, 2011 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Slow Bandscope, bad docs.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you are considering this program toimplement a band scope, forget it. The bandscope is too slow to be useful. On my 4 core Intel machine it took over 4 seconds to paint a 100khz spectrum. For PTT/VOX type SSB that isn't useful. By the time it paints the signals are gone.

I bought an SDR-IQ and IF2000 board for my FT-2000 instead.

The documentation literally "sucks" and there is little support thru the internet.

Don't waste your money!

ZS6KB Rating: 1/5 Mar 3, 2011 00:48 Send this review to a friend
ScopeStationUltra  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the ICOM R75 version but this could apply to other radios. The software is mailed on a disk and the zipped files must be extracted to a file that you create. The whole program seems to run from that file. It took many attempts to get a program to load, even with the supplied USB-serial cable. Lacking setup tutorials,I read the 'free' pdf files and ended up using trial and error plus endless frustration as I worked through the various program offerings. After many hours of icon clicking, I gave up trying to run the thing.It is overly complicated by so many checks, that just trying to run a frequency scan is impossibly frustrating. The program comes without a starter frequency database and loading radio memories did not work for me either. There is a yahoo group support link, but it appears limited and responses are controlled by the site owner (who might just be the software publisher too).

KB4MUV Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2010 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Good software got better  Time owned: more than 12 months
Recently this software has been upgraded with a bridge to run FLdigi for digital work. I use it with a Kenwood TS-2000. The software all works together great with no hitches. Also the manuals have been updated. The manuals are free and available to be downloaded from their site free whether you purchase the software or not. Gives you an opportunity to checkout the software prior to purchase. A great piece of software that is constantly getting better.

REMOVE_XBY4K Rating: 3/5 Sep 2, 2009 10:16 Send this review to a friend
dissapointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Slow to boot up , cannot change call sign, slow scope, nice layout, very steep learning curve. I find Ham Radio Deluxe A better choice, and its free. Radio used Kenwood TS-B2000

G7NDS Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2009 04:02 Send this review to a friend
Great software, will update your rig long after the manufacture  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had HSU since getting my Ten-Tec Pegasus 550 approximately 2 years ago. The program was great looking GUI with loads more functions than any of the other software for the Pegasus. When I purchased the software, it was made clear that the software would be upgraded, but I had no idea that the pace would be so fast. I am very happy with the current version, that incorporates so many more functions, that I now have to read the instructions again. Mike is the guy behind Callsign & he somehow finds the time to answer all questions & suggestions in person. I have downloaded some of the updates, to find faults with it, so just go back to using the last stable release until the updated update is available. The software that I purchased was good, the software I have now is fantastic, thanks to the way Callsign license it, that is for keeps (Please take note Bill Gates).
I love the software,my radio has been out of production for 8yrs, but mine has transformed for me over the last 2yrs. I look forward to the next update, to see what else my Pegasus has up it's sleeve.
Mark G7NDS

N5UMH Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2009 06:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is from WG5T (ex N5UMH) It is much easier to download and install this software than it is to correct/change your call/login info on EHam.
Support is excellent. Mike expanded my license to include a Pegasus I just obtained in addition to my Jupiter. This is a separate program. No other software supplier would do that. In the process I ran into problems with firmware. He answered my emails within minutes and even supplied me with the latest TenTec Flash files.
The program is NOT a simple GUI, it has a learning curve but will do things that other programs cannot do. While I have your attention the Pegasus had some issues. A call to TenTec and Gary walked me through some adjustments and
"viola" all is ok. There is no better support out there than Callsign Software and Ten Tec.