Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | OPEK UVS-200 Dual Band Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for OPEK UVS-200 Dual Band Antenna
Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: This is a dual band Amateur Base Antenna. It covers 2 meters and 70 centimeters. 6 dB gain on 144-148 MHz and 8 dB gain on 440-450 MHz. 200 watt power rating. 100" overall height. Fiberglass radome. Stainless steel radials. Includes die cast aluminum mounts

You can write your own review of the OPEK UVS-200 Dual Band Antenna.

K0KS Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2016 12:43 Send this review to a friend
12 yrs Going Strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Original review was Jan of 2004 then I moved it to SE Texas where it survived Hurricane Ike where winds gusts topped 100mph and plenty of sunshine. It's holding up very well along with a Comet CX-333. I didn't expect it to survive this long for the price. Opek is the side-mount on the tower. http://www.k0ks.com

KD4UWD Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2013 05:28 Send this review to a friend
Much better than my J-pole.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I will give this antenna a 4/5 as the only other vertical 2m antenna I have used were beams. I have been using this antenna since Apr. 2012 on both VHF & UHF and have had no problems with it so far. I will be putting back up a C-craft A-14810S and see how they compair by using the side of the beam.

W8EDV Rating: 1/5 Sep 4, 2012 15:24 Send this review to a friend
OPEK Junk = Poor quality and very poor performance..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have several issues with this Opek antenna. I ordered it from Buxcomm which was a mistake to begin with. I took the OPEK out of the box and began to assemble it and I noticed how cheaply it was made. The fiberglass tube is thin as paper and I doubt it will last long, the wire inside is less than 1/16 th of an inch in diameter it's ultra thin gage. Whats worse was when I went to tighten the set screw it was MISSING...I had to go to the hardware and find a set screw to fit it.

After assembly I go to mount it to the Rohn telescoping mast which is 34 feet long, and has had other antennas on it over the years, but the mounting clamps on this OPEK are made to fit a 2 1/2 inch mast and the nuts would not tighten up so I had to make some shims to make it fit the mast. I also had to put tape around the base stub of the antenna hub where the hollow aluminum mount tube fits on that holds the entire antenna as it was so loose the antenna wobbled like crazy on the mast, so it had a very poor fit there as well. I fixed that so it wont wobble, and sealed all the joints as I have always done with any vertical that has a fiberglass tube.

I use LMR 400 coax, and I have the OPEK up at 30 feet, and the SWR is ok, it's less than 1.5.1 on both bands, however it does not perform well at all. I can do just as well with my mobile mag mount dual band larsen sitting on the house gutter, which I did for a day while waiting for this miracle OPEK to arrive. Previously I had 2 small cushcraft vertiacls up at 30 feet, and I will say this, that this OPEK cannot reach several of the repeaters that I used every day with the cushcraft verticals, but I thought I'd save all the extra coax, and fuss with 2 antennas, by just getting one dual band vertical.

This OPEK is a non performer, and I should have got the Comet or Diamond as I'm sure they would have been much better performers. I plan on selling this OPEK asap, and I'm going to order the Comet because it has a good track record and the reviews are almost all 5 stars on performance and workmanship. I'll pay the extra $50 to have a quality antenna. This OPEK works, if you're looking for a cheap $60 antenna, and if you live under a repeater it will serve you well maybe.

Its not for me, and I should have read the reviews before buying it . Using LMR 400, at 30 feet same as the cushcrafts I should be able to get into the distant repeaters that I used to use and I cannot. I also cannot find any problems, the coax is brand new and I tested it with my meters, the antenna, is junk, but the SWR is well in range and it should work well but it just does not for some reason , so down it's coming, and up is going a Comet as soon as I can order it.... Save your money, and buy something better than this OPEK junk....

K8WPJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2009 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Awesome antenna for the price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this antenna to replace a discone that had shed radials over time... Bought it off Ebay for less than 50 bucks shipped which I thought was a decent deal.

I have it mounted on a ten foot mast, and five foot tripod mount on the roof of my QTH (about 35 ft AGL) in central SC. The assembly was a snap, using basic hand tools, and some red locktite, (a precaution against this one dropping pioeces parts like the antenna it replaced)

As for performance, WOW! absolutely blown away by this antenna when compared to the discone it replaced. on 2m with 50w FM, I can easily work 150-185 miles all day, every day.

Charlotte is a piece of cake, as is Myrtle Beach, 2 cities I would barely touch with the discone, I now get into full quieting. With the discone I had 28 machines programmed, with the Opek, I have almost 70.

Band openings have taken me into AL, MS, TX, TN, GA, NC, and VA with regularity.

I don't do much on 70cm, for a lack of traffic in the SE, but, I have hit machine up to 50-75 miles away with this antenna as well.

For the money, I am thoroughly pleased with the Opek UVS-200!

K9KJM Rating: 2/5 Nov 14, 2008 02:05 Send this review to a friend
Low cost, LOW performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The super low cost attracted me to this antenna. AND it "looks" about the same, And is advertised to be about the same as the "name" brands.......

But in real life, As already pointed out, WATCH out for poor quality control. As I have worked with a few of these "Low end" antennas in the past, I did take it all apart right away and check it very close to make sure all was OK before putting it up.

The performance, Even compared to a little Diamond X 50 is very poor. I suppose if all you have is this antenna, It will appear to work OK. Do some direct comparisons like I have and see the difference.

Half the price, Half the performance.

Sorry, No free lunch today with these antennas.

W7DCF Rating: 3/5 Nov 18, 2006 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Not sure about 70cm performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of the UVS-200 antennas on the strength of ratings here as I was looking for a less expensive alternative. My first suggestion to anyone buying the antenna is to check the tightness of the set screw that holds the center assembly (with coax connector) before attaching the coax. There is an allen wrench that fits, but no indication to pursue such a procedure. Failure to do so may result in turning this assembly while attaching the coax connector with a resultant break of an internal connection. I repaired the break and measured SWR. It was in spec, but the lowest reading was down at 143 MHz on two meters. 70 cm SWR was OK, but reception did not compare well with a similar TRAM antenna.
Thinking that further damage may have occured, I returned the antenna for a replacement. The replacement was a slight improvement, but still no match for the TRAM on 70 cm. It also needed the set screw tightened.

Final impression is that performance is OK on 2 meters, marginal on 70 cm. If I was to do it over again, I would get a TRAM which also has stronger radials. My experience may not be typical but the process cost me time and extra postage and to some that may have justified a rating of 2.

DEANQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2005 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance/Price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had a UVS-200 for about 6 months now. I have no complaints whatsoever about this antenna. Great VSWR, and seems impervious to the weather. I am planning on getting a UVS-300 for the house as the 200 is up at the shop.

I replaced an Arrow dual band J-Pole and I got the expected range for a 5/8 over 5/8 gain antenna.
Dean

KE9K Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2005 20:29 Send this review to a friend
A REAL PERFORMER AT HALF THE PRICE !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Replaced my cushcraft AR-270 with this antenna. What a big difference in performance. It also shows very low swr. Got the best of both worlds at a real bargin price. Joe ke9k

EXPRO Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2004 18:06 Send this review to a friend
super antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using one of these by my easy chair for night time scanning and HT use. Excellant performance VSWR super. This is a very easy to handle antenna and the price is right. I also own the uvs300 as well. Save yourself a bundle and get one of these.

KC0MSQ Rating: 2/5 Apr 26, 2004 21:45 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive, but low quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the money this looked like a great antenna, but it never lived up to that hope. Right off the bat I had problems with the cheap o-ring that's used to seal between the two fiberglass tubes. It was too thin and too large and any tightening the tubes together enough so that they were not loose pushed it right out of the joint. A trip to the hardware store fixed that, but that's not a good start. After I got it up I noticed that I got SWRs above 1.5:1 on the upper 1/3 of each band and right up near the top of the 2m band it came right up near 2.0:1! I read on a few other forums that this is not unusual with this antenna, so I lived with it.

After 9 months (and one Minnesota winter) the SWR suddenly jumped up to 4:1. I took it down that spring (good thing I had another antenna to use) and found that one of the solder joints near the top of the top radiator had broken. I resoldered it and put it back up. It worked for a while, and then started acting back up again (high SWRs). I have taken it down and found moisture in the bottom of the unit. After replacing the o-ring and trying a few other things I finally gave up on this antenna. I'm going to replace it with the Comet antenna I was too cheap to buy in the first place! Good riddance.