Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Radio Shack HTX-10 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-10
Radio Shack HTX-10 Reviews: 139 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: 10M - 25W SSB, AM, FM
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-10.

KK4CUL Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2014 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Really a 4.5, but for the used price it deserves a 5  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first HF radio was a Uniden HR-2600 10 meter all mode. I was a tech, and used this plus a 10 meter double bazooka to work the world. The first time I worked Japan, I had a huge adrenaline rush and couldn't believe that with $100 worth of second hand gear, I could talk to Japan, all over South America, Hawaii, Alaska, the entire west cost almost daily!

Well I sold it to fund an upgrade, and really started missing it a year or so ago. Luckily though, I was browsing the QRZ swapmeet page and found an HTX-10 listed for something like $50-75. I didn't need it, but I knew the radios are similar enough and it would be snatched up in a heartbeat if I didn't get it. So I did, then bought a Wilson Lil Wil antenna and tuned it for ~1.5:1 across 28.3 - 28.6 or so.

I used to commute 160 miles a day for about 1.5 years. This provided ample time to work Australia, New Caledonia, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Guatemala, Mexico, Oregon, California, Washington state, etc all mobile. I also have worked HI, AK, and JA land with an end fed wire antenna sloped at 45 degrees. 25 watts is great!

Things I like -- NB actually does work pretty well to get rid of ignition coil, fuel pump, and door lock sounds. It marginally works on power line noise. The tone control -- if it is really loud in the car, using the higher frequency tone helps articulate a bit. If the band is noisy with QRM, QSB, etc, the low tone setting helps block some out. The lack of menus makes it a pretty simple radio to use! Every button is on the front panel, and there aren't many. But this is not a contest rig -- it is a mobile rig and does it's job just fine.

The downsides -- lack of real AGC. This is somewhat good, because unwanted noise doesn't get pumped up, but it also makes quiet signals hard to pull out when you are driving at highway speeds. The VFO step is also somewhat annoying and limited, but the RIT works OK enough. Neither of these have ever made me get upset at the radio though!

Overall, it is a perfect 10 meter rig for a tech to get a taste of HF, or for anyone to work HF mobile on a budget. It is amazing that with a $75 radio, I can talk to people all over the world while driving home from work. This radio is a keeper and I will probably never sell it. Maybe when my 10 week old grows up, I will hand it down to him!

WB4OKM Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2014 00:33 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for about 12 years or more.
It was purchased when Radio Shack discontinued selling them and closed them out at $79. It has good sensitivity and can pull out some weak ones. My best dx was on 10 meter AM working European stations. This is amazing since it puts out only 5 watts or so in this mode. 10 meters has been especially hot recently, so enjoy it while you can!!!

W2WRI Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2014 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Moble  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I Put This In My Car September 2013 An Very Happy With It It Seams I Can't Do Any Wrong Wit It. Got A Laird MNO Mount Base Loaded Coil Very Cool Looking Ant.Dose Real Well Great SWR. Check Out My QRZ Page W2WRI....7/3

KB5KWO Rating: 4/5 Apr 4, 2014 02:34 Send this review to a friend
$100 or Less a Great Buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
My HTX-10 has given me lots of pleasure and DX. The Radio itself is nothing fancy but has proven consistent. DrawBack?.. ..No CW with this Rig , however I bought it reasonable and am happy.

I've had to rewire the mic element a time or two and I enlarged the mic opening for the element with a small bit while having the mic apart. This really helped the modulation levels, .. Easily OverDriven Now..

Overall a good buy for less than $100..

W4JRQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2014 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first hf rig. Unfortunately with 10 m you have to wait for the band to open but when it does it does awesome using only a steel Whip vertical or a dipole. I have gotten as far as Germany and Alaska from Mobile Alabama with several contacts in California. Bought mine from Radio Shack when they were getting out of the ham business and is still kicking well.

N2MVV Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2013 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Very happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just a quick review after purchasing the radio on the classified for $100.

I have made several nice SSB contacts over the weekend at 25W from New York City to the Azores, Mexico, Anguilla, West Africa and the U.S. Virgin Islands from my Buddistick portable antenna all with 59 reports. Obviously, the compromised antenna performed very well during the band opening.

I bought the Wilson 1000 mobile antenna for the car but have not gotten a chance yet to trim it for use.

Overall, for the money it is a great radio after all these years.

WP4OEK Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2012 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice little radio...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got one like new with a 10 meter mobile antenna. Made contacts with Europe, United States and local with only 25 watts. Tiny microphone, but radio performs just fine. Great for new ham operators.

WT3O Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2012 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was at a hamfest and saw one of these still in the box with all original parts/accessories for $50, so I decided to pick it up.

This radio only puts out 25W, but when 10M is open 25W is more than enough for some DX. I have logged quite a few SSB contacts with this radio.

This radio is perfect for a new Tech who doesn't want to shell out hundreds of dollars for an all-band HF radio.

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2012 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Worth a Look  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my HTX-10 when RS started closing them out. A friend who managed the RS store had put one back for a customer who never came back for it. I took it home for $50. Now a lot of years later, I finally will comment. I've worked way more DX on SSB with it than I would have expected. I've used it in the shack and in the pickup. Works great either way. Of course, it simply isn't a high dollar contest rig, but then it cost less than a microphone for one. When 10 is open, the HTX will do anything my more expensive rigs will do. I started to tear into it and do the CW mod, but finally figured I'd just leave it alone. If you find one at a good price, and it works, pick it up.

W2NDG Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2012 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile 10M rig for the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is not only my first 10M rig, but my first HF rig. Using it with a modified Radio Shack 11M whip, my first contact was with France from Long Island NY. Not bad for a $100 investment (used). Since then I have worked about 2 dozen countries from the car. Performance has been good. I wish it had a few more features though. 1khz Tuning without having to adjust the STEP button would be nice (hard to explain, but those of you that have used one know EXACTLY what I'm talking about), and more than one PL tone for repeater access would also help.

A note about the previous reviewer's comments: This is also the Magnum version of the radio, but the early Magnum version which is IDENTICAL to the RS one. The Magnum itself is not an "Illegal Radio" unless it is marketed and used as such. It is the people that sell these modified, and/or with modification instructions that are out of bounds legally. Many of the popular HF rigs that are currently available can be modified to transmit out of band. Does that make them illegal radios? As long as you purchase one from a reputable source, without the intent to break the law, what is the issue here?