Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Radio Shack HTX-10 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-10
Radio Shack HTX-10 Reviews: 143 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: 10M - 25W SSB, AM, FM
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-10.

W9MT Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2001 23:12 Send this review to a friend
Quirky, but nice.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine used in an equipment trade with another ham. Have worked a few stations on USB mode and received good reports on the signal and audio.

I learned at N2FFL's HTX-10 page at his website (http://www.geocities.com/n2ffl/htx10.html) that many HTX-10's come out of the factory with their FM receive slightly misadjusted. Mine needed a 1/4 turn clockwise adjustment of T3 just as he said to make the receive audio sound right. (This is likely still a problem with units currently purchased new as I was told that my HTX-10 is only about 4 months old.)

The Scan function is slow and unprogrammable other than for setting the frequency step for a full band-scan (no memory channel scan selection). I find it faster to use the up/down buttons on the microphone.

The Call channel selection is just a shorthand version of recalling memory channel 2. (Kind of useless.)

I have noticed 2 other quirks in the 3 days I have owned this radio:

1. Mic-gain settings are different between AM/SSB and FM for similar modulation performance on a monitor receiver. On my unit, setting the mic-gain just slightly above the 9 o'clock position gives the best SSB and AM performance. Any higher causes overmodulation and splatter. FM is a different story...I need to use a setting of 2 o'clock for sufficient FM deviation. I can't be heard with it set any lower!

2. Pressing the "FCN" button and then pressing "lcr" makes a "RPT" indicator appear in the LCD in FM mode only. The HTX-10 doesn't seem to change any operational characteristics, however. One still needs to set and select an offset to get the radio to operate split frequency T and R. (Pressing "FCN" and "lcr" again shuts off the RPT indicator.) This must have done something in the early radios, as the radio's photo on the box shows a FCN+RPT button selection. The manual and the button on my unit (memory 4 location) do not show a RPT selection as being a valid choice.

A cut down loaded CB antenna and a cigarette lighter plug for DC power have me operational in my car with this radio. I plan to squeeze mobiling fun out of it until the sunspots diminish. After that I'll use the rig to drive my TenTec 10 to 2 meter transverter. (If anyone knows how to open up the transmit frequency coverage all the way to 32MHz, please advise! I could then cover the whole 2 Meter band through the xvrtr.)

Overall, I'm happy with this new toy. It is an inexpensive radio with "personality".

KB4UTV Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2001 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got mine almost a year ago. Use it as a base with a dipole and work many DX stations. Also use the Buxcom Rascal radio/computer interface and have made many PSK and SSTV QSO's. Lots of fun for the low price!

KC0GXX Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2001 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Bang for yer buck!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This rig is quite a producer. Working SSB, I made almost 30 contacts in a few hours by just "pouncing" on the signals as they were calling "CQ". Oh, BTW, most of the contacts were with foreign stations, woking them on a 102" vertical whip mounted on my chimney with four radials. Pretty cool. Also on CW, I worked several South American hams. See my website for modifications for CW.

WA8GRI Rating: 3/5 May 19, 2001 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Lacks some necessary features  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent little rig. Although it lacks tone squelch and most of the repeaters require this. Tried for over three months to figure out a way to use this rig on psk31. Double pole switch in mic prevents returning the reciever to ground after transmit if you try to use a RigBlaster. I'm trading mine in on an Alinco.

KB2QQM Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2001 19:02 Send this review to a friend
A Great Rig for the $$  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned the radio since my wife gave it to me for Christmas last year. I also own the htx100. For the money you cant beat it. I think my wife picked it up for about $150. I use it mobile and it has worked great. It is not the main station rig, so I wanted to have something in the car that could get abused without having to worry about it. 25 watts works fine when the band is open. I have talked to a handfull of stations on the FM repeaters and had some fun, but i like chasing dx in the car and it is fine for that. Dont get the rig expecting your going to get FT1000 reception. Its a cheap rig that fits the bill for 90% of the operating you do. If it doesnt then you probably wasted your money.

WOR7AVC Rating: 0/5 May 15, 2001 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Don't buy this crippled radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Receive? What receive. This is Nothing but a stripped down version of the Magnum 257. My radio
hears nothing but does put out 7 watts AM. I don't mind the distorted TX audio either. Spend a few more dollars and get a real 10 meter radio.

WB7QQR Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2001 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Bang for Buck  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love this rig. 25w and 46 DXCC entities within the first 2 months. I'm using a Hustler 20m resonator on a 4 ft mast on the bumber of my mini-truck. Only thing lacking for me is a smaller split freq increment. The smallest increment is 10 kHz, and I often hear dx using 5 Khz splits. It doesn't kill the car battery if left on over night either (so I've heard). The evil empire did pretty good on this one.

N8IK Rating: 4/5 Mar 26, 2001 16:23 Send this review to a friend
great starter radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great starter radio. You'll learn how to work DX without the bells and whistles, and save yourself some bucks for something better later. I paid $120 new at a hamfest and run it through a hamstick+counterpoise on my 5th floor balcony. Power it with a small 17ah gel cell. Sure, I'd love to have RIT, CW, and tone for FM. Did I mention I'd really love to have RIT. But I've learned to listen/tune carefully and keep my hands off the "clarifier" so the DX doesn't have to chase me. Worked a couple of contests, bagged KH7, JA, HC8, CT3, some KLs and all the usual big guns in the islands. Everyone thinks I sound great too - all I get are 59s :) Propogation is everything on 10m - you can work the world with this rig. I'll probably get in trouble at Dayton this year so my harmonic gets this rig as soon as she passes her code test. She'll have as much fun as I've had.

73 de N8IK
Ian

KD5HAW Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2001 22:42 Send this review to a friend
HF fun for really low price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this rig over a year now and have had a lot of fun. This was my first HF rig and I worked a fair amount of DX using it as a base station with a simple vertical antenna on my roof. For a first-time HF rig, this radio is great.I get good audio reports even though it is a low power rig and I've "busted" pileups through shear patience.When I recently bought a multi-band rig for a base station I installed the HTX-10 in my truck and I use a Radio Shack 11/10 meter "1000 watt" mobile antenna. I have worked DX while driving home from work or sitting in a parking lot. The price can't be beat and I think that is the most attractive feature about this rig. For getting your feet wet in HF, this is the rig to do it. Because the initial investment is small, you can see if you like this phase of the hobby without going broke experimenting.There is a lot of action on 10 meters right now and the rig should still be a good investment for the forseeable near-future. When the solar maximum declines, get a 2 meter transverter and use the rig for SSB 2 meter activity when band conditions aren't so favorable for 10 meters. In the meantime, the radio will get you lots of contacts on 10 meters now, at a price less than most 2m mobile units.

KC8NTP Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2001 15:16 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I realy like the radio, I use it as a moble rig with a 200w amp.,1/4wave whip on my car and have more than 120 countries confirmed,And have worked 37 states and have managed to work T32RD,D68C through heavy pile ups.So anybody can say any thing about the radios shortcomings but I like it.Oh and one thing to inprove the audio get rid of the stock mic and get a good dynamic mic and run the mic gain at about 1 o`clock.