Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Radio Shack HTX-10 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-10
Radio Shack HTX-10 Reviews: 139 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: 10M - 25W SSB, AM, FM
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-10.

KB2QQM Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2001 19:02 Send this review to a friend
A Great Rig for the $$  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned the radio since my wife gave it to me for Christmas last year. I also own the htx100. For the money you cant beat it. I think my wife picked it up for about $150. I use it mobile and it has worked great. It is not the main station rig, so I wanted to have something in the car that could get abused without having to worry about it. 25 watts works fine when the band is open. I have talked to a handfull of stations on the FM repeaters and had some fun, but i like chasing dx in the car and it is fine for that. Dont get the rig expecting your going to get FT1000 reception. Its a cheap rig that fits the bill for 90% of the operating you do. If it doesnt then you probably wasted your money.

WOR7AVC Rating: 0/5 May 15, 2001 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Don't buy this crippled radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Receive? What receive. This is Nothing but a stripped down version of the Magnum 257. My radio
hears nothing but does put out 7 watts AM. I don't mind the distorted TX audio either. Spend a few more dollars and get a real 10 meter radio.

WB7QQR Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2001 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Bang for Buck  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love this rig. 25w and 46 DXCC entities within the first 2 months. I'm using a Hustler 20m resonator on a 4 ft mast on the bumber of my mini-truck. Only thing lacking for me is a smaller split freq increment. The smallest increment is 10 kHz, and I often hear dx using 5 Khz splits. It doesn't kill the car battery if left on over night either (so I've heard). The evil empire did pretty good on this one.

N8IK Rating: 4/5 Mar 26, 2001 16:23 Send this review to a friend
great starter radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great starter radio. You'll learn how to work DX without the bells and whistles, and save yourself some bucks for something better later. I paid $120 new at a hamfest and run it through a hamstick+counterpoise on my 5th floor balcony. Power it with a small 17ah gel cell. Sure, I'd love to have RIT, CW, and tone for FM. Did I mention I'd really love to have RIT. But I've learned to listen/tune carefully and keep my hands off the "clarifier" so the DX doesn't have to chase me. Worked a couple of contests, bagged KH7, JA, HC8, CT3, some KLs and all the usual big guns in the islands. Everyone thinks I sound great too - all I get are 59s :) Propogation is everything on 10m - you can work the world with this rig. I'll probably get in trouble at Dayton this year so my harmonic gets this rig as soon as she passes her code test. She'll have as much fun as I've had.

73 de N8IK
Ian

KD5HAW Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2001 22:42 Send this review to a friend
HF fun for really low price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this rig over a year now and have had a lot of fun. This was my first HF rig and I worked a fair amount of DX using it as a base station with a simple vertical antenna on my roof. For a first-time HF rig, this radio is great.I get good audio reports even though it is a low power rig and I've "busted" pileups through shear patience.When I recently bought a multi-band rig for a base station I installed the HTX-10 in my truck and I use a Radio Shack 11/10 meter "1000 watt" mobile antenna. I have worked DX while driving home from work or sitting in a parking lot. The price can't be beat and I think that is the most attractive feature about this rig. For getting your feet wet in HF, this is the rig to do it. Because the initial investment is small, you can see if you like this phase of the hobby without going broke experimenting.There is a lot of action on 10 meters right now and the rig should still be a good investment for the forseeable near-future. When the solar maximum declines, get a 2 meter transverter and use the rig for SSB 2 meter activity when band conditions aren't so favorable for 10 meters. In the meantime, the radio will get you lots of contacts on 10 meters now, at a price less than most 2m mobile units.

KC8NTP Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2001 15:16 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I realy like the radio, I use it as a moble rig with a 200w amp.,1/4wave whip on my car and have more than 120 countries confirmed,And have worked 37 states and have managed to work T32RD,D68C through heavy pile ups.So anybody can say any thing about the radios shortcomings but I like it.Oh and one thing to inprove the audio get rid of the stock mic and get a good dynamic mic and run the mic gain at about 1 o`clock.

V73GOD Rating: 2/5 Feb 9, 2001 22:23 Send this review to a friend
Very Limited Use Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
While I find it an eay radio to use, it can be very frustrating. The lack of transmit fine tuning has caused a bit of confusion and QRM. The RIT should be linked to the transmitter so the radio does seem so "channelized". It runs a long time on a battery and I've received great reports on it. I prefer the HTX-100 over this radio. I can see that it would be a great mobile rig and use it mobile to go to Wake Island. CW would be nice but there are mods for that already bouncing around. It's a great "toy" radio.

KC7YDB Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2000 23:53 Send this review to a friend
Good rig for the money!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought one of these in May of this year and have been using it mobile and have made some pretty fair DX contacts. Just got another one to use at home QTH for PSK31 since it satisfies the low power requirments and with hooking up an additional coax switch between it and my primary rig I can now switch back and forth from SSB to PSK31 without messing with connecting and disconnecting the interface unit. And with antenna restrictions forcing me to hide antennas in the attic I have still made some good DX contacts on PSK. Good rig for the money.

KE6BGH Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2000 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I think this is a great radio for the price. I was mainly interested in an inexpensive mobile rig, and this does almost everything I want. I don't do CW mobile, but would like PL to access repeaters (since every repeater in California has PL access these days). Good reciever, good reports on transmit audio. SSB power peaks about 22 watts on my watt meter for good audio, FM runs about 20, AM carrier shows about 5 watts, all into either a dummy load or dipole [of course I make no warranty for the calibration of my watt meter]. Frequency accuracy seems right on, with no drift.

Anyone know where to hook a Communications Specialists PL encoder board to this rig? I happen to have one and would love to use it, just have no schematic.

AC7CF Rating: 4/5 Dec 24, 2000 21:30 Send this review to a friend
11 Meter Mod ILLEGAL  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I just want to let anyone know that operating amateur radio equipment on 11 meters is illegal and people have been fined heavily for doing so. I own the HTX-10 and think it's a great rig. I do wish it had CW though.