Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Radio Shack HTX-10 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-10
Radio Shack HTX-10 Reviews: 140 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: 10M - 25W SSB, AM, FM
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-10.

W2NDG Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2012 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile 10M rig for the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is not only my first 10M rig, but my first HF rig. Using it with a modified Radio Shack 11M whip, my first contact was with France from Long Island NY. Not bad for a $100 investment (used). Since then I have worked about 2 dozen countries from the car. Performance has been good. I wish it had a few more features though. 1khz Tuning without having to adjust the STEP button would be nice (hard to explain, but those of you that have used one know EXACTLY what I'm talking about), and more than one PL tone for repeater access would also help.

A note about the previous reviewer's comments: This is also the Magnum version of the radio, but the early Magnum version which is IDENTICAL to the RS one. The Magnum itself is not an "Illegal Radio" unless it is marketed and used as such. It is the people that sell these modified, and/or with modification instructions that are out of bounds legally. Many of the popular HF rigs that are currently available can be modified to transmit out of band. Does that make them illegal radios? As long as you purchase one from a reputable source, without the intent to break the law, what is the issue here?

KB1TXK Rating: 4/5 Jan 21, 2012 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Great first 10m transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Please be aware that the Magnum 257 mentioned below is an illegal radio ( http://swap.qth.com/fcc/fcc-citation-C20053238001.pdf ). That PDF is an official FCC citation which lists the Magnum as a banned radio. The two reviews talking about the Magnum should be removed.

The HTX-10, which is what this review section is SUPPOSED to be about, is a great 'first radio' for those trying 10m out for the first time. I've made plenty of DX contacts w/ mine using an Imax 2000 mounted 30' up. I've only ever run mine 'barefoot', which means 25w for this radio.

Picked mine up for $50 w/ mic and bracket. Still use it in the car today.

W8AJL Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2011 17:49 Send this review to a friend
great low cost 10 meter rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I believe the HTX-10 to be a good radio however I am speaking about the newer version sold as the Magnum 257-hp. This radio is a mobile radio and I do not expect it to be as good as one of my radio's in my shack however with that said the radio performs fine and if I can hear it I usually can work it.

The Magnum 257-hp is capable of 80 watts pep and has FM as a feature as well. However on FM you only get one pl of 88.5. This isnt a big deal to me as most coordinated repeaters hear in Ohio do not have a pl.

I run the radio with a cut down 11m K40 antenna with an external speaker and it has provided me alot of enjoyment. So if you are looking for an HTX-10 google Magnum 257-hp and give one a try. I got mine for $214 shipped from the address below.

KD0GCH Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2011 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Works  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have worked with this radio for a wile.It was a gift from the XYL.I run a lot of big box radios(ic 746 ic 706 and so on).The HTX 10 will never fit in this class,however it sits on the same bench.I use it every thursday for the 10m net on 28.390. i get great reports every time.works great for the price.The only gripe i have is no cw.

KX7P Rating: 4/5 Dec 3, 2010 03:20 Send this review to a friend
DECENT 10 METER MOBILE  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a good and inexpensive 10 meter mobile radio. It's only 25 watts, but when 10 meters is open, 25 watts with a decent antenna is all you will need. Nothing too fancy with this radio. It's pretty simple and straight forward to operate.

I've had mine for about 10 years and never had any problems. I've worked the world from my car with this radio. It has a decent, but not great, receiver. A decent, but not great, transmit. If you can get one in good condition for about $100 than get it.

RAINS Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2010 23:58 Send this review to a friend
Good little radio.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great little radio. At first I thought it was junk. At least compared to my icom 706MK2G. However now I prefer it to my 706 for 10m DX. Great for mobile or hiking/camping use. I have talked to CA, TX, Fl, HI, British Columbia, Brazil and Argentina on mine. With no amp! Just run a good antenna. I use a Wilson 5000 for mobile and a simple home-brew dipole for mountain top use. 25w works much better on 10m than you think it would. If I can hear the other station clearly then I can usually get back to them. Plus you can run for a very long time on simple 12v 7ah SLA batteries.
Pro's
--Light weight
---small
----easy to use
---cheap
---Low amp draw, works great off of SLA batteries
Con's
---small mic but you get used to it.
---looks like a cheap crappy CB radio.
--only puts out 25w
--squelch on sideband could be better
--could have more audio output for freeway use.
--Umm I'm really trying here people! It's hard to kick this radio!
If you can get one for around a hundred bucks buy it! They are worth it!

KC8DHV Rating: 4/5 Apr 21, 2009 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for the price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my HTX-10 almost a year ago. When there are band openings (hi-hi) it gets out there and talks pretty good, always good signal reports. I am running mine bare foot with a 10 Meter Dipole. I got mine off of a local "Traders Net" NIB for under $100.00. I have mine on almost all day WAITING, WAITING, and WAITING for a band opening, and the only complaint with it so far is that the display back-lights have burned out already! Both of them! I finally got my General a few months ago but am laid off so I cannot afford a nice rig yet, but when I do, I definatly plan on putting this puppy in my pick up! If you are a Tech looking for a low-cost HF rig and you can find one of these on Ebay or else where, GET ONE! P.S. STILL WAITING FOR A BAND OPENING! lol 73. KC8DHV

KC2FTN Rating: 4/5 Nov 25, 2008 23:07 Send this review to a friend
Nice Little Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I swapped a scanner for my HTX-10 and couldn't be happier. Previously, I was using an Icom 756PRO into an Ameritron AL-80B amp on 10-meters, but I decided to back it down a notch or two and go with a mono-band radio for 10-meters instead. So far I've received good audio/signal reports from the rig, and have so far worked about 1000+ miles on sporadic Es. I'm very happy with the HTX-10, and if you ever want to go digital with it (including Echolink), just spend $40 and get one of these interfaces:

K1DA Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2008 11:01 Send this review to a friend
parts?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good box for the price but don't bother to go into Phonnyshack for repair parts-- you get a blank stare or a "Is that a cellphone" line from the droid. A company called Magnum inports it now (2008) under the magnum 257 name and I am hoping to get a new A gain pot from them.

KD8GTP Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2008 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased mine from Ebay, under $100. With the recent sunspot activity I've had alot of fun with it. Using a simple dipole I've made contacts to SantaFe TX from Ohio. A good bargain for 10m users.