Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Radio Shack HTX-10 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-10
Radio Shack HTX-10 Reviews: 139 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: 10M - 25W SSB, AM, FM
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-10.

N1YWB Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2007 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Cheapest way to HF mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio is nothing special, but for the price it's probably the cheapest way to put out a mobile HF signal. When you consider how cheap CB antennas are vs. multiband ham mobile ants, then the low total cost of the mobile station really becomes apparent. When the next solar cycle picks up, you can have a lot of fun working DX on it while driving around town.

Read my full review at http://n1ywb.blogspot.com/2007/11/radio-shack-htx-10-review.html

KI4RIG Rating: 4/5 Jul 17, 2007 13:46 Send this review to a friend
great for a mobile radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
its a great rig for the price I use my htx 10 as a mobile rig and it works great I got the rig when I bought my truck from another ham he used it for at least 2years and got great results as well and I got it about 5 months ago and its a nice 10 meter rig

KB1GMX Rating: 3/5 May 15, 2006 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Eh! only soso  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked it up as a last of on sale for around 60$.

I figured it would be handy and it was. Makes a fairly cheap SSB/AM/FM IF radio. I pulled the final and driver as the transverters (6/2/70cm)
I use it with don't need much power, least not the 20+ watts.

I only give it a 3 and it's a very clunky interface for tuning, and as a SSB radio the selectivity is only ok. It beats finding an old SSB CB and modding it as an 10m IF.

VE3CUI Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2006 04:35 Send this review to a friend
Biggest Bang for the Smallest Buck!  Time owned: more than 12 months
For whatever reason, Radio Shack elected NOT to sell this little gem in Canada...fortunately, I live only a couple of hours from the Buffalo, N.Y. area, & so a couple of years ago I plunked down the MINIMAL cash then required to buy my HTX-10 in Lancaster...

Using a trimmed-down centre-loaded CB mag-mount whip, I was working Europe, South America, & literally ALL OVER the continental U.S.A. on the drive home.

What an absolute blast!

Some months later, I bought one of those late 70's "renegarde" C.B. mobile (tube type!) linear amplifiers on eBay for $40.00 --- hooked it up to the HTX-10, and I'm REALLY having fun with 200+ watts p.e.p. on SSB, & 100+-watts of carrier for the A.M. window!

The band is flatter than anything of late, what with the period we're in with the solar cycle, & all, but it WILL return eventually --- as will my "vintage/new" mobile set-up!

KE3HO Rating: 2/5 Sep 19, 2005 13:37 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 1kHz VFO step is a joke. You have to tune around the band in 1kHz steps, then reach for a separate knob to fine tune within the 1kHz step. If you are trying to tune around the band using the mic up/down buttons and you hear a station calling, you can only hope to get close in frequency, then you have to put the mic down and reach for the fine tuning knob.
The IF filtering is pretty poor, should be tighter. All in all, this feels more like a modified SSB CB radio, klugged to work on 10M. I have had both the HTX-10 and HTX-100. For a monoband 10M rig, I would much rather have the HTX-100 even though it does not have FM.

AD5EM Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2005 04:49 Send this review to a friend
Fun way to try HF mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a lot of fun with my HTX-10 as my way to get my feet wet in HF mobile. The band has kind of gone soft, so I'm running a FT-100D mobile and usually on 20M, now. But, the HTX-10 let me work Europe, Japan and South America while driving to/from work, not bad for $150! The band will come back and when it does, this radio may get installed on my motorcycle for a new experience.

KS4HY Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2005 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio for $50.00  Time owned: more than 12 months
I heard Radio Shack was closing the HTX-10 out back in the spring of 2003, and the price was down to $50.00. I knew I had seen one in the display case at the local Radio Shack, so I ran down and bought it.
When I got home I hooked it up to my Solarcon Max-2000 at 75 feet in the air, and told the radio to scan the 10 meter ham band. After a few minutes it stopped on a weak female voice coming in. She was on Aitutaki Island in the South Pacific (South Cook Islands). I am in South Carolina, USA (East Coast USA). I picked up the mic and she came right back to me. The antenna was plugged directly in to the radio without so much as a watt meter in line.
On another occasion I heard Alaska coming in while driving in my car. I only had a magnet mount CB antenna from Radio Shack trimmed to the ham band with no external amplifier. The station in Alaska heard me just fine.
Receive wise this radio is quieter than my Drake TR-7 and just as sensitive. Sorry Drake fans, but it is true. For a brand new in store price of $50.00 I give it two thumbs up.
I have read that the FM receive does not work properly. I suspect mine has the FM receive bug, but since I only use it for USB it is not an issue for me.

KS4HY

K5III Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2005 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Fun and Bang for the Buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've bought 3 of these new and still have them all. If you want an inexpensive fun little almost all mode, this is it. It is easy to use. I have worked Central America, Canada, Australia, Hawaii, Cuba, and about 15 states on 25 watts. You will not be disappointed.

N2NFG Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2004 21:04 Send this review to a friend
Well worth it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I couldn't resist either, and for about $70.00 I got a complete rolling contest station. Transceiver and 108" fiberglass whip and mount. (cut the whip down for 10M)I bought it a week or so before the 10 meter ARRL contest and mounted the antenna on the side rail of a Ford Ranger. The band was cooperative and in the week before the contest I was consistantly amazed at what I was working during my 100+ mile roundtrip commute to work. The weekend of the contest was incredible. My work dictates work on the weekend. It was too dark on Friday night to do anything while rolling, so every once in a while, I would stop and work a few. Conditions weren't very good after dark anyway. Saturday morning was another story. I had to get to work, but the band was active from one end to the other. Europe, Africa, South America, Stateside; all coming in like gangbusters. I avoided the really big pileups and was rewarded with a QSO after one or two calls running S&P. Calling and tuning with the mic in one hand, and logging with the other. Now I gotta tell 'ya, there's nothing like the look of wide eyed terror in another driver's face when you're bearing down on him in his lane, seemingly oblivious to the impending disaster. You would think that State Road 43 would be more ham friendly at 8AM, but the truth is, there are actually people coming home from town at that hour. Safe at work In Rocky Mt.,NC, I would go out and operate for 15-20 minutes on my breaks for the rest of Saturday and Sunday. Still totally amazed at what I could work with 25 watts and a quarter wave whip from a very poor parking lot location. My complaints with the radio are few and nit-picky. It should have and could have included CW. The clicky VFO is a minor annoyance. Haven't tried it on FM. so can't comment on that mode. But...there's rumor 'round here that a new 10 meter repeater is in the works, and I'm sure that this little Rat Shack rig will be up to the challange! For the less than $60.00 I paid for it brand new, I've got my moneys worth out of it already, and it's barely broken in. I've been hesitant to put my 706MKIIG in the truck, fearing theft. (guess what, someone stole my antenna) For less than $60,00, they can have the radio. While they're at it, PLEASE, take that ancient ICOM 28A with it so I can get a new 2 Meter rig!
73, Bob N2NFG

KB2HSH Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2004 17:22 Send this review to a friend
Basic...and fun.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In the month that I've owned the HTX-10, I have had some pretty good success with it. I'm certain that I could do more...with better atmospherics. Since setting it up, and using a Ten-Tec "Vee-Beam", I have worked Brazil, Argentina, and Chile. I worked a Colorado station from Buffalo NY on a GOOD opening to the midwest. I even made my FIRST 10m AM QSO (to Minnesota). And...it's handy for keeping an ear on the Buffalo 10 meter FM repeater (WB2JQK/R).

Since buying this radio I have noticed some quirks. I performed the famous "1/4 turn clockwise on T-3" mod...and the FM receive improved dramatically. I can only wonder WHY this was never set properly at the factory. No big deal...I'd rather set it myself, truth be known. Also, as stated MANY times before, the lack of PL tones might be a problem. But, once again, I think back to 1997 and my Kraco/converted CB-to-10m FM rig...and it didn't have PL tones, either. Finally, the radio's lack of USEFUL memory buttons is a bit humorous. It would have been better to exclude them altogether. Nevertheless, for the $60 I paid on eBay, it's worth EVERY penny.

What I do like about the radio, firstly, is the size of it. Lacking space at the present QTH, I mounted the radio (with its mobile bracket) on the bottom of a shelf attached to my desk. Mounted like this, it almost disappears. Also, the 25 watts on SSB/FM are a nice touch as well (although having a 5 watt setting like the HTX-100 would have been nice, too). That 25 watts connected to a "good" antenna are adequate for working the world when the band is open. Finally, the noise blanker does a fine job when switched on here. There are times that the power lines are a bit noisy during the day, and the blanker helps overcome that problem.

Overall, I love it. In all fairness, though, I can't give it a perfect 5/5...since it has no CW. But, for a basic radio with good power output and "big rig" features, this radio is hard to beat.