Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Radio Shack HTX-10 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-10
Radio Shack HTX-10 Reviews: 142 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: 10M - 25W SSB, AM, FM
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-10.

K1DA Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2008 11:01 Send this review to a friend
parts?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good box for the price but don't bother to go into Phonnyshack for repair parts-- you get a blank stare or a "Is that a cellphone" line from the droid. A company called Magnum inports it now (2008) under the magnum 257 name and I am hoping to get a new A gain pot from them.

KD8GTP Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2008 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased mine from Ebay, under $100. With the recent sunspot activity I've had alot of fun with it. Using a simple dipole I've made contacts to SantaFe TX from Ohio. A good bargain for 10m users.

KD0AFM Rating: 4/5 Dec 3, 2007 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Decent beginner HF Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OK...so I have no basis for comparison, but I think this is a great HF starter transceiver. I've had my Technician license for 9 months. Bought the HT10, put a dipole (cut to 10 meters) in my attic and proceeded to work 27 states and had over 60 contacts during summer e skip. Got the stock hand mic. Folks don't rave about my audio but it gets through just fine. Not real sensitive on the receive side. But all in all, no bad considering you can pick these up for $100 or less.

N1YWB Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2007 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Cheapest way to HF mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio is nothing special, but for the price it's probably the cheapest way to put out a mobile HF signal. When you consider how cheap CB antennas are vs. multiband ham mobile ants, then the low total cost of the mobile station really becomes apparent. When the next solar cycle picks up, you can have a lot of fun working DX on it while driving around town.

Read my full review at http://n1ywb.blogspot.com/2007/11/radio-shack-htx-10-review.html

KI4RIG Rating: 4/5 Jul 17, 2007 13:46 Send this review to a friend
great for a mobile radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
its a great rig for the price I use my htx 10 as a mobile rig and it works great I got the rig when I bought my truck from another ham he used it for at least 2years and got great results as well and I got it about 5 months ago and its a nice 10 meter rig

KB1GMX Rating: 3/5 May 15, 2006 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Eh! only soso  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked it up as a last of on sale for around 60$.

I figured it would be handy and it was. Makes a fairly cheap SSB/AM/FM IF radio. I pulled the final and driver as the transverters (6/2/70cm)
I use it with don't need much power, least not the 20+ watts.

I only give it a 3 and it's a very clunky interface for tuning, and as a SSB radio the selectivity is only ok. It beats finding an old SSB CB and modding it as an 10m IF.

VE3CUI Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2006 04:35 Send this review to a friend
Biggest Bang for the Smallest Buck!  Time owned: more than 12 months
For whatever reason, Radio Shack elected NOT to sell this little gem in Canada...fortunately, I live only a couple of hours from the Buffalo, N.Y. area, & so a couple of years ago I plunked down the MINIMAL cash then required to buy my HTX-10 in Lancaster...

Using a trimmed-down centre-loaded CB mag-mount whip, I was working Europe, South America, & literally ALL OVER the continental U.S.A. on the drive home.

What an absolute blast!

Some months later, I bought one of those late 70's "renegarde" C.B. mobile (tube type!) linear amplifiers on eBay for $40.00 --- hooked it up to the HTX-10, and I'm REALLY having fun with 200+ watts p.e.p. on SSB, & 100+-watts of carrier for the A.M. window!

The band is flatter than anything of late, what with the period we're in with the solar cycle, & all, but it WILL return eventually --- as will my "vintage/new" mobile set-up!

KE3HO Rating: 2/5 Sep 19, 2005 13:37 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 1kHz VFO step is a joke. You have to tune around the band in 1kHz steps, then reach for a separate knob to fine tune within the 1kHz step. If you are trying to tune around the band using the mic up/down buttons and you hear a station calling, you can only hope to get close in frequency, then you have to put the mic down and reach for the fine tuning knob.
The IF filtering is pretty poor, should be tighter. All in all, this feels more like a modified SSB CB radio, klugged to work on 10M. I have had both the HTX-10 and HTX-100. For a monoband 10M rig, I would much rather have the HTX-100 even though it does not have FM.

AD5EM Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2005 04:49 Send this review to a friend
Fun way to try HF mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a lot of fun with my HTX-10 as my way to get my feet wet in HF mobile. The band has kind of gone soft, so I'm running a FT-100D mobile and usually on 20M, now. But, the HTX-10 let me work Europe, Japan and South America while driving to/from work, not bad for $150! The band will come back and when it does, this radio may get installed on my motorcycle for a new experience.

KS4HY Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2005 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio for $50.00  Time owned: more than 12 months
I heard Radio Shack was closing the HTX-10 out back in the spring of 2003, and the price was down to $50.00. I knew I had seen one in the display case at the local Radio Shack, so I ran down and bought it.
When I got home I hooked it up to my Solarcon Max-2000 at 75 feet in the air, and told the radio to scan the 10 meter ham band. After a few minutes it stopped on a weak female voice coming in. She was on Aitutaki Island in the South Pacific (South Cook Islands). I am in South Carolina, USA (East Coast USA). I picked up the mic and she came right back to me. The antenna was plugged directly in to the radio without so much as a watt meter in line.
On another occasion I heard Alaska coming in while driving in my car. I only had a magnet mount CB antenna from Radio Shack trimmed to the ham band with no external amplifier. The station in Alaska heard me just fine.
Receive wise this radio is quieter than my Drake TR-7 and just as sensitive. Sorry Drake fans, but it is true. For a brand new in store price of $50.00 I give it two thumbs up.
I have read that the FM receive does not work properly. I suspect mine has the FM receive bug, but since I only use it for USB it is not an issue for me.

KS4HY