Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Amp Supply LA-1000-A Help

Reviews Summary for Amp Supply LA-1000-A
Amp Supply LA-1000-A Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $499.50 in 1988
Description: Compact HF linear amp.

You can write your own review of the Amp Supply LA-1000-A.

KH6VP Rating: 4/5 Oct 20, 2014 00:34 Send this review to a friend
Good Linear - Pushes envelope  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own many linear amplifiers. This is a nifty linear amplifier that pushes the tube rating envelope way beyond!
It is a compact package, and comes with 4 tubes (6MJ6) although in mine, one of the tubes is a 6LQ6. Power is as rated, but it is better to lower the drive power not to push them too much.
This linear will probably do a better job with reduced voltage on the power transformer; the meter says that high voltage is 1200V although absolute maximum rating for the tubes is 990V although the plate pulse voltage can be much higher.
I also own the older version, the LK1000 version.
It is interesting to note that at the end of the TV tube craze (when such tubes cost $5 each), 4 of these were replaced by two 572B for similar or better power, in linear amplifier service.

VE4TTH Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2012 16:55 Send this review to a friend
LA-1000-NT easy to use!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the LA-1000-NT (no tune) variant of this amplifier. It is old and no longer in production. I purchased it on line (eBay) and have found it to be stable, and simple to use. I changed the tubes for a fresh(er) set and have an average output of 500 watts on SSB. Its more than enough to raise my signal level on a DX station to a point that make the difference between getting noticed and not. I currently have a dipole antenna, but will be installing a tower and beam this summer. Its a well known fact that a good antenna is better than a great amp. However, a good antenna AND a good amp should make the DXing a lot easier...hi hi

I paid $350.00 for the Amp, and its worth that easily!

Glad I purchased the amp. No regrets at all!

W3AMF Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2011 13:21 Send this review to a friend
Good Little Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the amplifier for about twenty years. Most of the time I run "barefoot," but it really makes a difference when I need it. The output is about 500 W on CW and 600 W PEP on SSB as measured by the wattmeter on an MFJ-989D tuner. It takes about 80 watts for full output. The power does drop some at 12-10 meters.

It is compact, attractive, easy-to-tune, quiet, and the cabinet always is cool to the touch. The 6MJ6 tubes are expensive and hard to find, but with proper tune-up procedures, they last a long time.

It does everything that I expect a medium power amplifier to do.I would buy it again.

N8RGQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2009 14:25 Send this review to a friend
A Good Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ran one of these for a few years and they are a good little Amp . 600w + PEP and clean output !
Terry
N8RGQ

PS- THe RM KL-501 is today's Bargin Amp !

N2XNB Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2008 17:33 Send this review to a friend
great desk amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
well i see it does around 400-700 watts pep on my meter for 4 years now on 10 year old tubes. i have a new set to put in it if and when they fail. my only problem is i bought the amp with 160 meter not working but i already know it is the relay so someday ill fix it. works great and has not let me down yet. while my buddies brand new ameritron 811h lasted 2 weeks before he needed new tubes!! sweep tubes are not that hard to find....just look on qth.com or ebay. sure they cost a penny but if you have 1000 dollars in you rig whats 120 to retube an amp!!!! see you out there on 20 meters.

K4PDM Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2005 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Great budget amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Probably no one would expect an amp to last for 20 years on the original sweep tubes, but mine did! Of course, there were a couple of repairs in that time, and when the HV caps finally shorted the amp was only doing 400 watts, but I view the LA-1000 as a dependable hamming partner for 20 years. Pretty expensive to re-tube today, and cheaply made to begin with, but treat it right and it'll surprise you. Well worth the $350 I paid at Hamvention in the mid-1980s!

KU2US Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2005 08:09 Send this review to a friend
LA-1000  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the Older LA-1000, the tunable type. The only problem I had was blowing an internal fuse, that I didnot know was there? (Duh).Other than that, the amp works fine putting out 500+/- watts with 95 watts drive into a G5RV. You can get one on Ebay in $250.-$350. range. Stock up on tubes though. I never had a tube blow on me yet, but I make it a practice to replace all 4 of them each year just for GP. The tubes can be secured on ebay for about $10-$15 used but good, or $20-$25 new. I usually run QRP, but when I need some watts, I flip her on. Warm-up time is minimal. Small in size, easy to work on, a joy to operate. Beats spending $800.00+ for a new one. Just a thought..73, Ken

K9WIT Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2005 21:43 Send this review to a friend
GET THE NO TUNE IT'S GREAT !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my LA-1000NT Amp for 3 years with no problems at all. Runs very cool and quiet. 700 watts out on 120 volts and 100 watts of drive. Put a new set of RCA tubes in 3 years ago and still get the same output as I did then. You can get 6lq6 tubes on ebay for $20 each new or $10 each used that test good. These tubes are NOT hard to find nor do you have to pay $40 each for them.

N8GPQ Rating: 3/5 Jan 10, 2004 02:48 Send this review to a friend
Needs Bias Cutout  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You may consider adding a bias cutoff circuit to these amps. This definitely a design flaw in this amp and other sweep tube amps I have worked on. Add a set of relay contacts somewhere and a resistor to the circuit and you are in business. Also metering protection with diodes and glitch resistor should be added. Just a few extra parts will make this amp more reliable and it tubes will last a long time.

KE4AMQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2003 16:51 Send this review to a friend
GREAT LITTLE AMP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE THE LA1000NT AND HAVE HAD IT A WHILE IT PUTS OUT 700 WATTS ALLDAY AND STAYS SUPER COOL IT USES 6ME6'S THE AMP IS GREAT BUT THAN AGAIN MINE IS THE NO TUNE MODEL OF THIS AMP. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT IF YOU DONT OVERDRIVE THE AMP AND USE IT ON THE HAM BANDS IT WILL LAST FOREVER AND SO WILL THE TUBES