Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | M2 6m HO Loop Help

Reviews Summary for M2 6m HO Loop
Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: An all direction, horizontally polarized loop antenna by M2.
More info: http://www.m2inc.com

You can write your own review of the M2 6m HO Loop.

AA7LX Rating: 2/5 Oct 30, 2016 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Loop Antenna difficult to Tune!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Didn't have good luck Tuning this Antenna! As measured: Using RigExpert AA-170 Analyzer; outside about 15' above ground; my Quad at the same distance above ground has about 60% better SWR readings. Didn't remove Shorting Bar--I know some Reviewers have done this... Not using a Tuner with 6m HO Loop: Best SWR at 51.000MHz; and 50 Ohms: 5.9. Compared to my Quad Antenna measured: 7.8 And, with a Tuner got the Quad down to 2.0 SWR. The Quad is Cut for broad VHF and some HF; It appears the 6m HO LOOP is really made for about 51.000MHz. Feeling that this is a narrow band Antenna... After spending a few hours with this 6m HO Loop, discovered that it will work at 2m: 147.000Mhz measured 4.2 SWR without a tuner! Decided to "hang up" this Antenna for now. I'm an Antenna experimenter and Designer... However, disappointed could not do better without a tuner! My Quad performs better in comparison. Perhaps with a Tuner this Antenna will perform-- I didn't try with such a narrow SWR bandwidth.

KU4XO Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 23:14 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding 6m limited space antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great antenna! I have mine located in the attic at the highest point just below the peak of the roof @ 25ft. All contacts were made with 100 watts or less.
300 grids, 40 countries, 48 states all confirmed via LOTW
Grids can be verified by going to http://www.arrl.org/vucc-standings
VUCC 50 MHz

KE0ARR Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2015 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Mine worked great   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased mine at a hamfest, put it together pretty easily. the tuning was easy and simple. I put it up about 18 ft up and have made a few contacts with it. While M2 does sell a magnet mount for this I dont believe this was ever intended to be used while in motion.
For what I paid I am happy with the performance and have already had offers to buy and even trade.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2013 21:22 Send this review to a friend
Mine Works Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one, with the optional support bracket kit, for over 10 years. I have used it to make a SSB contact with the Canary Islands, from Charleston, SC. If find it neither flimsy nor difficult to tune up.

KH6TA Rating: 4/5 Dec 19, 2013 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Flimsy, tuning instructions poor, low SWR finally  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I had an old (10yrs?) 6m loop that was a POS, so for Christmas I bought myself a new M2 6m HO Loop. I had to be very careful assembling and installing on the mast as it seemed very flimsy to me. Using the provided measurements, the SWR was over 2:1 @ 50.175, so "playing" with it and the analyzer for 45 minutes, I finally got it down to 1.2:1 @ 50.175 and the 2:1 bandwidth is close to specs, so okay for now. The machining on the hardware was what I expected of M2, but the antenna and support are "wimpy" in my opinion. Guess we'll see how it does here over in Hawaii over time. So far I wouldn't give it a hearty recommendation, but I may be proved wrong. Still yet to work anyone on it.......

KJ4SSX Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2013 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Now I can be heard!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had a 6 meter HO loop for about 4 months now. I am a member of a 6 meter net of which most members are in the city. I am 35 miles away. Before running a vertical, I could barely be heard, now I am giving the same people an S-5. So they really work! I am thinking about experimenting with one on 2 meters. Maybe on 2 meters FM??

Oh the down side, the SWR was hard to tune. I am using a manual tuner and it works pretty well.

PY2ADR Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2011 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Omni  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Vy happy w/ the antenna. Itīs 12m up in the tower.
Many good qsoīs when prop openīs (hi).
Thinking about stack a 2nd one.

PY2ADR / ZY2C

WX9DX Rating: 2/5 May 23, 2009 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Just Got it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the antennas at Dayton Hamvention. The 6-meter loop is really flimsy and I have figured out that it's not for my mobile, as I like driving down the road with my vehicle and antennas. The antenna seems like it should be used stationary and needs something to stabilize it! So I'm either going to sell it right away before I put it up or just put it up in the garage with other projects that did not work out.

The two meter ones ( $52ea. Then State Tax ) I bought were very expensive as everything from M2 is. When I put them on the almost $90 stacking bar " which is very thin" made me know right away that this is again for stationary use. So I un-stacked them and will use only one on the truck. So that means I spent money for an extra antenna and stacking kit I can't use. I really wanted to use this mobile stacked. Guess I can't!

I'd would not have bought the stacking kit if I had seen it!

The guys to talk to are ok and helpful. Believe me when I say "you have to have your ducks in a row" before you talk to them, they are all business!!!! :(

W6OMF Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2008 20:08 Send this review to a friend
excellent antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm reviewing the HO Loop that has been out for a couple years now... I see some are writing of the older type that are no longer produced. see:http://www.m2inc.com/products/6m/6mloop.html for a picture of current antenna. One of mine is mounted at the top of a 55' tower and one mounted on the Pickup... Both operated excellent. Tuned with analyzer in its operating location, hook up the coax and away we went. The pickup has been on for two years and two trips to Iowa... NO problems... The tower has been up in 70 mph winds, no problem. Tuned right and not sitting in a cluster with other stuff you'll love it. I've used Par, KB6KQ, and Homebrewed but none give me the mechnical strength and band width as the M2 does...73 Larry

N2CLB Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2008 06:28 Send this review to a friend
for rover  Time owned: more than 12 months
i use this for the sep/jan arrl vhf contest wehn i go as /r and it works well for that and for a starter antenna for 6M base for SSB this would work well.

Camden