Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | M2 6m HO Loop Help

Reviews Summary for M2 6m HO Loop
Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: An all direction, horizontally polarized loop antenna by M2.
More info: http://www.m2inc.com

You can write your own review of the M2 6m HO Loop.

W6PMR Rating: 3/5 Oct 6, 2007 11:34 Send this review to a friend
Just OK  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up one of these at the M2 factory swap
and "Foodfest" in Fresno last year.
I found it a bit of a mechanical "cluge" and very finicky to tune. Another suprise was that when it got foggy or it rained the SWR went all over the map!
I replaced it with the PAR omni loop and all those problems went away. If you have a choice go for the Par.
Too bad as these guys at the M2 factory were
great!

KR4K Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2007 15:43 Send this review to a friend
Better in Two's  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have two loops phased together using the M2 phasing kit. Top loop is at 45 ft. and lower loop is at 33 ft. Both are mounted about 3 ft. off the North side of my Universal Tower. Use support arm above and below loop. Using TS-2000, 100 W, and about 75 ft. LMR-400.
Am really surprised - they work amazingly well. In a year, worked 108 grid squares, 31 states, and 4 countries. Bandwidth is excellent - no need to use tuner. Set them at factory recommended dimensions.
Both loops stood up extremely well during our recent ice storm with a 1/4 in. coating. Noticed little or no droop.
The only problem I have is hearing too many from all directions. Have had many several days when I get the 4's in Fl at the same time as the 6's in CA.
If interested, will send photos of installation via email.
Bottom line - if I can hear 'em, I can work 'em. Go with TWO M2 6m HO loops.

KG6MWH Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2003 01:34 Send this review to a friend
A tad touchy, but it works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna as an apartment antenna. I'm in a condo in San Francisco, and I have to hide my antennas in a large window. The antenna is, as another reviewer said, a bit flimsy. I wouldn't want to use it mobile.

I was unable to tune the antenna with the sliding feed and shorting bar. However, the manual does say that tuning should be done when the antenna is well away from walls and large objects. I'm in a large concrete and steel building, so I think the antenna deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I hooked up an MFJ model MFJ-906 6-meter tuner. With the antenna's shorting plug removed, I can easily tune the antenna to 1:1. I don't know enough theory to understand why I can get 1:1 with the shorting plug removed but no better than 1.2:1 with the shorting plug set according to M2's suggestion. If anyone can help me understand this, I'd be grateful. The antenna is even more flimsy with the shorting plug removed.

I'm using the antenna with a Yaesu FT-897, which is very persnickety about SWR. The FT-897 hated this antenna ("HSWR" readout and instant power cutback) before I connected the MFJ-906 tuner. After tuning up the antenna with the MFJ-906, the Yaesu transceiver is very happy with the M2 antenna. The MFJ-906 watt meter shows full forward power, and the FT-897's SWR meter doesn't register, which I assume is the FT-897's way of saying 1:1, since there is no numerical SWR scale on the FT-897, only a thermometer.

I was lucky in that I was hooking up and tuning this antenna during a VHF contest, and I got some quick feedback on how well I was getting out. I made lots of contacts the first day on 50.125 in three grids, up to 150 to 175 miles. That's as well as anybody was doing on 50.125 that day, as far as I could tell. I got good reports.

With the horizontal polarization of this antenna, the noise on 6 meters is dramatically less than what I got on a vertical (Yaesu ATAS-120 active tuning vertical). A beacon in my grid was barely audible on the ATAS-120 vertical, but it's loud and clear on the M2.

From my (admittedly limited so far) experience, I don't think I'd recommend using this antenna without a tuner. It's touchy. But if you can get it under control it does seem to perform.

Another personal quirk: to fit in my limited window space, I've oriented the M2 vertically rather than horizontally. So far I can't tell the difference. Again my theory is deficient, but if I'm not mistaken then this antenna design, given that the antenna is fed from the bottom center, is still happily horizontally polarized though it's pointed upward. And again I'd be grateful if anyone can either set me straight on the theory or explain why this might be so. It's clearly true while receiving. I've not done enough transmission testing to be sure. But I'm definitely being heard and getting good reports from neighboring grids.