Reviews Categories | Ham Logging Software | DX4Win Help

Reviews Summary for DX4Win
DX4Win Reviews: 66 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: Comprehensive logging software for Windows

You can write your own review of the DX4Win.

K4TK Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2017 08:17 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE...11 Dec  Time owned: more than 12 months
I kept hearing this was no longer supported, but by chance I checked their website, and they recently came out with 3 different versions of 9.x. Yes, it IS still supported....and there are 3 more version since 8.x.

I ordered the newest, 9.03. It cost $35 for the upgrade from 8.x (if you have bought 8.x in the last year, the upgrade is FREE).

It has several features I like:

1. It has many more radios listed that it supports. I tried the Yaesu FT DX 3000 config (for my Yaesu FT DX 1200), and it works MUCH faster than the config i had been using (with a 950 radio setup, since they had no config for my radio). It now INSTANTLY changes to DX spots...instead of having a slight delay

2. It now has a setup in the config where you can program in your favorite DX cluster, and it will automatically bring up that cluster upon logging in.

3. it now fully supports call sign lookup with QRZ (and probably others?). Before, on my 8.05 version....i would hit F3...and another window would open...then i could hit ENTER....and it would bring up, but then I had to type in the callsign to get info. Now, hitting ALT F3....does it 'all'. It brings up my web browser, brings up up the info on the call sign. All that, with just hitting ALT F3.

The only negatives....the skins for display are not functioning properly. It's a known bug....the only work partially. Hopefully they will fix that in a future release. And....they have NOT updated the documentation....still on 7.x documentation. But F1 on any screen will bring up help info.

anyway, DX4WIN.....IS.....STILL fully supported.
W0ZS Rating: 4/5 Mar 26, 2016 08:15 Send this review to a friend
Still a solid program  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first review of DX4Win was back in 2004 under my old call, WK0F. I still feel it is a solid logging program. I decided I needed to look elsewhere due to the lack of updates fom the author. I tried Log4OM, N3FJP AC log, HRD, etc. Although they had some modern features I liked, they still don't compare to some of DX4Wins features. I plan to stick with it until AD1C and others stop supporting it. I had some issues with my TS-590S working split, so I purchased N4PY's Pegasus Plus and it works great. You may want to check out Pegasus Plus if you have a newer rig that DX4Win doesn't support well. N4PY doesn't support all rigs though, although a lot of them. It may work for you. I think the one thing that DX4Win really stands out is the DXCC tracking. I'm giving this progam a 4 rating because it's lack of upgrades. Still, a very solid program.
K0ZR Rating: 2/5 Dec 13, 2015 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Apparent "Non-Support"  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since going to SO2R and using two Bandmaster IV band decoders, DX4WIN can apparently only see one of them, not the second radio. A request for updated rig settings has gone, so far, unanswered. It is a shame; I really like this program, however it must keep pace with hardware and software changes
KR4DA Rating: 4/5 Sep 4, 2015 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Is it over?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this program for about 20 years but since last updates 2011 there seems to be no interest by the developer. I need a new RIG FILE for my FT-991 and am getting no responses. That said I really love how this program worked but if I can not get the interaction of the radio and logging program I guess it's time to move on.
I have several DX logs and my own log in this program because of a RIG file I can no longer enjoy it's great benefits. I hate the thought of moving to another program...learning curve. BUT if you don't care about rig control a great logging program.
N4GG Rating: 3/5 Jun 17, 2015 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Shaky, unsupported  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using it a long time and I'm skilled on applications. Problems:
- First, the command set is unique, so if you move back and forth between DX4WIN and a contest program you will be challenged to remember the commands. Example: In CT, NA, TRLog, Writelog, etc etc, the command to clear the entry field is F11 or ALT-W. In DX4WIN its F12. WHY WHY WHY???
- The bandmap is known to have a bug where it will not track the radio at times. There is no plan to fix this.
- The spots window has a set format that's nearly impossible to change.
- If you are using LP-Bridge to drive DX4WIN they will not stay synced. This is another bug that will never be fixed.
- Support has stopped. You get what you get - bugs and all.

WG8AR Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2013 13:36 Send this review to a friend
FT3000dx and DX4WIN  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used DX4WIN over 10 years. I was afraid that the new radio(FT3000dx) would not work with it BUT I lucked out. In preferences file; use the FT5000 radio and set the baud to 4800 bps.And then you're off to the races.
People who say they can't get DX4WIN to work are doing some thing wrong. It is the best. Down load the manual to a jump drive stick, take it to Office Depot and for $ 12.oo they will print it and put it in a binder. Don't give up, its worth the time and effort.
WA0TPN Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2013 14:52 Send this review to a friend
I came back to DX4WIN  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used DX4WIN Version 5 and previous versions between 2000 and 2009. I moved back home to Iowa a couple of years ago and now want to do the DX thing over again from the Midwest location. I began a search for the 'best' integrated logging, rig and rotator control, and integrated PSK31 and RTTY programs.

I downloaded both DXLabs and DX4WIN Version 8 and invested two days evaluating both.

I invested a couple of days getting DXLabs setup and everything, rig and rotator control, DX cluster, and digital software is working great. I used DXLabs to complete a couple of QSO's today and realized that the learning curve to become proficient with the DXLab Suite will require a bit more time and energy then I am willing to invest.

I booted up DX4WIN and it is evident that it efficiently does everything that I want or need for logging, controlling the radio, gathering DX cluster spots, turning the rotator for the beam antenna, operating PSK31 and RTTY, tracking awards and uploading logbooks to LOTW and eQSL.

The DXLab Suite is excellent with more features and capabilities than DX4WIN. And, DXLab continues to enhance the programs. None the less, for me, DX4WIN is the better option at this time.
N5PA Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2013 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Great solid, stable software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using DX4WIN for over 13 years, at least. It is a great software package that is very stable. I am a software developer and I know how important this is. If you look at other packages they tend to have many releases each year. They are adding a lot of enhancements or bug fixes and from experience, the more you touch the code, the more bugs you will have. I have used this software with my Yaesu FT1000MP Mark-V, Icom 756 Pro III, and Icom 706 MKIIG for years without any problems. It may not be as straight forward as some of the other packages out there, but once you get in and use it, it is all simple and straight forward. I like the updater program that keeps all the ancillary files up to date, also. AD1C does a lot to keep these files up to date and moderate the help forum. He does a fantastic job doing this! I have tried some of the other packages and what I have found is that all of my award numbers are vastly different than they should be. My logs always balance with LOTW and other awards. This is a big deal to have accuracy and they balance. I guess that is the old accounting grad coming out in me. But having stable software that is correct is a huge issue. I know the label printing can be a little overwhelming, but once you get used to it, it is a very powerful tool. They do not come out with a new release five times a year, and in doing this, this lends to stability in the software. On some of the cost issues, they do not charge for intermediate releases, but just new versions. I know that you can upgrade from three versions back with an incremental price. If you are more than 3 versions behind you have to buy it again. I feel that DX4WIN is a great value and worth the money. But as with any complex software package, you have to invest the time to learn the product, also. I have never had an issue with it!
EA8ASE Rating: 2/5 Jan 5, 2013 05:32 Send this review to a friend
New review   Time owned: more than 12 months
After a few months of my previous analysis, I have had the opportunity of testing the program in depth. I found several problems with my new rigs FT-450D and FT-817. Tech support did not help me with this problems. I have also experienced problems of disconnection from the DX cluster. Considering that the rig control is very important in this type of program my new analysis may not be as good as the previous one, sorry.
PA2RUS Rating: 4/5 Nov 24, 2012 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Wonderfull for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought the license.

The main reason why I bought this program is that DX4WIN is, AFAIK, the only logging program which is able to print directly to Dymo Labelwriters.

I must admit, I'm a HRD user for years now and very hooked to HRD.
So yes I have to get used to the DX4WIN interface which is different, however everything is in there as far as I can see.

(With HRD I needed to export the logfile to ADIF and import it into another program every time to print labels on the Dymo, which I experience as very inconvenient. This issue is solved now.)