Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Radio Shack PRO-95 Dual Trunking Sacnner Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack PRO-95 Dual Trunking Sacnner
Radio Shack PRO-95 Dual Trunking Sacnner Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $149.95 on sale as of December 20
Description: 1000 channel control channel only trunking capable scanner covering anything that is (currently)legal.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack PRO-95 Dual Trunking Sacnner.

JC92083 Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2004 17:38 Send this review to a friend
antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
i love this radio shack pro 95 scanner my only problem is that i need an antenna for outside because in my appartment it dont get that good of reception. what type do you sugest . email me at jc92083@optonline.net and put pro 95 antenna in subject so i know what it is and dont erase the email. thanks

STEVENAIVE Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2004 02:11 Send this review to a friend
I like it a lot  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Rated 5/5 because it does more than I need, w/ web sources to increase useability. Got it for $149.99. Page 30-31 seems to have missing info in the manual. Took me a while to figure out trunking, and I'd like a case...Got the AC apapter, a different antenna, and cable. RS programmed it but with pro89 software. Once it totally reset, but the search mode for police/fire came through. RS offered to reprogram it the right way; I will now, so I can download the info as another file in the Win95! I'm currently working on a Win95 file that will be the new best thing for the counties I hang in, visiting friends in trunking-land and camping this summer, and knowing my neighborhood...

KA2AYR Rating: 3/5 Dec 6, 2003 03:05 Send this review to a friend
It's okay...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one as a gift when the prices dropped. I was disappointed that it was either carrier squelch, SmartNet or EDACS. It has NO CTCSS/ CDCSS features like the Pro-96 has. It's easy to program with the Pro-95 software. The receiver is sensitive and works well.

Has the same issues as the Pro-96 with respect to the case construction. It needs a leather case.

W9FL Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2003 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was a little afraid to buy one of these. I checked the specs. on line, and they seem to be the same as the Pro92b, that I have. I was not happy with the 92, because it is "deaf", or not very sensitive. I bought the Pro95 on sale for $149.99. I have been very impressed with it.

With the optional Radio Shack 800mhz antenna, it is more sensitive than my BC245, (with same antenna) which is supposed to be quite sensitive. I can listen to my local 800 trunk system all the way to work, (22 miles away). I can't do this with the BC245, not to mention the 92b. I can also pick up the surronding counties trunked systems (one EDACS, 2 Mot).
I especially like the text labels.

One thing I don't like is not being able to select
a trunk ID to monitor, like on the Unidens. You can however do this if you wait for a transmission, then do an ID hold, by pressing the trunk key, or by locking out all the other IDs.

Of course I use the free software that I downloaded from Don Starr (thanks Don).

800MHZ Rating: 3/5 Nov 30, 2003 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Good scaner for the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my 4th scanner. One big "pro" is the power source, It takes AA's, not a battery pack like my old BC. Another is the price of $150.00. I would like to see a manual that is "easer" to use. Still reading and pushing buttons on how to store freq. I could not find it in the manual, but after several attempts I was able to restore some freq. that I L/out in the trunking mode. When in the trunking mode with my BC-780 I am able to pause in trunking and Text Tag each bank. So far I have not been able to do this with the Pro 95, can it be done?
Looking foward to some replies.

Thanks in advance,
Watching the watchers ;)

KG4UDX Rating: 4/5 Sep 3, 2003 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Great scanner with a few warts  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Overall I'm extremely happy with my Pro-95. My only real issues follow:

* Scanning in open mode won't allow you to lock out any talkgroups. You have to program in the ones you want and scan in closed mode. This makes it hard to find new talkgroups on busy systems with channels you're not interested in.
* No way to go to a particular talkgroup without waiting for it to come up while scanning. Once it has locked onto a talkgroup you can hold on it, but you can't choose an inactive talkgroup to wait for activity on (other than by programming only it into a bank).

It would also be useful to be able to put more than 100 talkgroups in a bank, several of the systems I monitor have over twice that many.

W7KEW Rating: 4/5 Sep 3, 2003 06:01 Send this review to a friend
A Scanner that does the job  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This scanner is very reliable and I have enjoyed using it over the last few months. I recommend it for anyone needing reliable trunked radio scanning and it recently has dropped in price to $199.00

BURRHEAD Rating: 4/5 Sep 2, 2003 23:02 Send this review to a friend
Nice Scanner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I rate the scanner at a 4.5. So far it has worked great. I actually programmed the first set of EDACS trunking info by the keypad. Then i found the software online for it. I used my Vertex cable. Decent Software(wonderful when compared to motorola) Works wonderful in the trunking mode.

as for the case, nothing that I would carry around all the time. Always worried that I will drop it, and split the side. I bought this right after they came out, was onsale for 199.00.
Very Happy with it.

KC8QNO Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2003 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Very nice Scanner for the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love this scanner. I have owned it for several months and I have owned many other scanners. This is by far the best deal I ever had. $150 for 1000 channels and dual trunking. What a deal!

The trunking feature follows my local trunking system perfectly. Its very easy to program, and I made a homemade cable for PC programming. The scanner is loud and it lasts forever on my 1800 NiMh batteries. (Several days at 8hrs a day). It has a very sensitive receiver front end but does not get overloaded easily.

Note:

With the PC cable, you can access every frequency gap except for the 800Mhz cell freqs. I have many frequencies programmed that are not accessible thru the keypad.

This is a very nice radio for the money. Sure there are better ones out there, but not for $150!!

NH7PT Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2003 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Great radio !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great radio for the money ($150)... Somewhat light feeling and uses only 4 AAs.
Wish it had the decoding features and covered the 3 trunked systems of the Pro 92 ... then this would be an almost perfect radio ... Uses the same programming cable as the 92 and free software is also available (Win95) that does expand the receiving range..

It seems as if GRE did improve on some features though ... the screen backlight is brighter on the 95 compared to the 92, there are more channels (1000 vs. 500) but they would be much more useable if there were 20 banks of 50 instead of the wasteful 10 banks of 100). Why can't manufacturers get this right ?

All in all a great radio that I use everyday along with a Pro 92B ...wish I could combine both radios features ...now that would be truly great!